PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gronk gets 1 game

Status
Not open for further replies.
just a reminder, this hit drew a mere $9000 fine

THAT is a career ending type hit......

The difference is that was in the middle of the play and you can make a reasonable argument (and many have) that Flacco gave himself up way too late. So even if you want to call the hit illegal it wasn't as egregious as gaining steam and diving your whole body forearm first into a player on his back well after the play ended.

Appeals are automatic so no big deal, I think the Talib one was heard and adjudicated on the same day. I dont care about what else happens out there, our guy screwed up and screwed up bad.....as a fan Im disapointed. But the 1 game is justifiable imho. he could have really hurt that guy....it was stupid

This is the problem. Football is a game of collisions. People get hurt.
Flacco was running to the first diwn market. Alonzo’s job is to him hit and drive him backward.
Flacco sliding at the last second out his head when his thighs, the correct point of contact should be.
Football isn’t played in slow motion and if Alonso played so slow that he checked to see whether flacco was sliding he wouldn’t be in the NFL. Frankly this shouldn’t have even drawn a penalty but they have this stupid rule that the defender is responsible for where he delivers the hit even if the target moves while he is delivering.

alonso took 3 steps after the slide was initiated and made zero attempt to pull off.....he loaded up on he head.....that's a penalty all day, every day in today's NFL....that play ended as soon as flacco initiated the slide, the NFL expects defenders to do better than that

according to their rules.....

Thank God he just cheap shotted a guy and could have seriously injured another player. Imagine if he had done something serious like possibly knowing about taking a tiny little bit of air out of footballs that may or may not have been deflated at all. In that case he would have been out until the playoffs started.

Meanwhile, Burflict and Suh do worse things at least three or four times a season (each) and rarely get suspended at all. First time offender gets a suspension. I'm sure the fact that he plays for the Patriots is just a complete coincidence.
What did suh do that was worse than what Gronk did? Even burfict for that matter.

This is the problem. Football is a game of collisions. People get hurt.
Flacco was running to the first diwn market. Alonzo’s job is to him hit and drive him backward.
Flacco sliding at the last second out his head when his thighs, the correct point of contact should be.
Football isn’t played in slow motion and if Alonso played so slow that he checked to see whether flacco was sliding he wouldn’t be in the NFL. Frankly this shouldn’t have even drawn a penalty but they have this stupid rule that the defender is responsible for where he delivers the hit even if the target moves while he is delivering.
Nah. Alonzo clearly intended to hit exactly where he hit.

He could still make it in yards in the final 3 games assuming we haven’t clinched.
351 needed.
He had 147 yesterday and face beefalo again.
His last 3 vs Pitt were 94,93,143 and 83,88,106 vs jets.
That’s an average of 110 vs Pitt 92 vs the jets which leaves 149 vs the bills so it’s doable.
Gronk is:

5th in Rec (Kelce - 66),
2nd in Yards (Kelce - 871),
T2nd in TD (Graham 9, Ertz & Kelce each have 7).

If he blows up in his last 3 games - I agree the yardage target is still feasible - with Kelce's team melting down, perhaps he could garner the 1st Team All-Pro nomination.

Gronk's 3 Prior 1st Team All-Pro Years:

2011: 90 rec for 1327 yards and 17 TD (16 games)
2014: 82 rec for 1124 yards and 12 TD (15 games)
2015: 72 rec for 1176 yards and 11 TD (15 games).

2012*: 55 rec for 790 yards and 11 TD = pro bowl but not all-pro - 11 games played. <- interesting year for comparison - he's matched or ahead of those numbers in the same # of games played, except for scoring 4 TD fewer this year.

The difference is that was in the middle of the play and you can make a reasonable argument (and many have) that Flacco gave himself up way too late. So even if you want to call the hit illegal it wasn't as egregious as gaining steam and diving your whole body forearm first into a player on his back well after the play ended.

i'd agree if alonso didn't take 3 steps and made no attempt to pull off.....he saw a chance to take a kill shot on the opposing QB and he took it

alonso took 3 steps after the slide was initiated and made zero attempt to pull off.....he loaded up on he head.....that's a penalty all day, every day in today's NFL....that play ended as soon as flacco initiated the slide, the NFL expects defenders to do better than that

according to their rules.....
He did not take 3 steps. Of course he didn’t pull off because he was going in to make a tackle.
Alonzo was already coming in for the hit when flacco slid. No way a football player playing full out can stop. Flacco’s head was not the target until he dropped it into the target area.

My opinion is he should get a game suspension. That was very out of character and was an excessive reaction. And he could have done damage to where the guy misses games if it was a concussion. Probably Gronk uses it as fuel and comes out ready to make a statement(with clean play). I think if there was no elbow or fore arm shiver I'd say no suspension. But there was, and it deserves one game suspension I think.

i'd agree if alonso didn't take 3 steps and made no attempt to pull off.....he saw a chance to take a kill shot on the opposing QB and he took it
He didn’t take 3 steps though. He took 1.

Nah. Alonzo clearly intended to hit exactly where he hit.
Totally disagree.
Actually you are correct but when he went to make the hit Flacco’s thighs were in that spot.

Maybe but the QB was running into him face first, waited way too long to give himself up, the collission and the time Flacco started to slide was literally less than a second (I've watched that play multiple times in half speed, it was very quick) and it was still in the field of play.

Gronk touched a player after the play when there was no reasonable expectation for him to even think about hitting him, and the player was on his back on the ground, there's a big difference.

1. It was dirty and Gronk deserves the 1 game suspension.

2. Gronk gets an extra week of rest which only helps given how fragile he can be.

3. 2017 Ben Coates could be our TE against Miami and we still beat them.

4. Fresh Gronk for Pitt

All good here.

Cmon now. I love Gronk too, but let’s see things objectively.

The Bills CB was lying on the sideline out of bounds, stomach down, and Gronk drops a cheap shot people’s elbow with all his weight on the guys neck. Comparing that Alonso hit not even remotely close.

That was a BS cheapshot by Gronk. Even BB agrees.

BTW- that was the same forearm shiver that Alonzo drilled Brady with, only not to his head.

He is lucky he should have gotten at least 2 Games and fine. Why appeal, shut your mouth.

Disagree on the 2 games comment, but I agree about him shutting his mouth..

It was obviously wrong what he did and extremely flagrant, just apologize and move on

Counterpoint: While that was a very dirty hit, it was a hit made in the process of a football play. Alonzo still should have held back and not followed through like that, it was dirty as all hell, but he was making a play on the ball carrier who was in bounds. Late hit, nasty hit, but it was a football play gone bad resulting in an unnecessary hit due to a guy finishing the play way too hard.

Not excusing Alonzo here in the slightest, the hit was completely unnecessary because Flacco had already gone into a slide and given himself up, but the difference is that Gronkowski wasn't even making a bad or dirty or malicious football play. He wasn't finishing a stupid hit or completing a tackle. He wasn't making a play at all. He was just attacking another human being.

to get to where White was Gronk had to turn around after the play was over and White had gone out of bounds, pick up speed and body slam him, all while White was out of bounds and the play was long since over. Gronk should have the situational awareness by now to recognize when a play is over and not finish his hit, and even if he doesn't, he STARTED moving for the hit after the play was over.

That all by itself is at least worth 1 game. The fact that he made contact with the head in the process is why I originally thought 3 games was on the table. Even Alonzo was just overzealous in finishing a football hit on a guy who was already done. There was nothing "football" in what Gronkowski did to White

I think he was very fortunate to only get 1 game.

It would seem reasonable to say the punishment is in alignment with the crime but this is the NFL we are talking about here.

For anyone who has the position of, "Gronk should not appeal and take his medicine" should be shot (I know you are not saying that).

The NFL is not about fairness or justice. Its about control and money. If Gronk can work the system and get it knocked down to a heavy fine he should do it with a clear conscience.

RW I hope Gronk appeals and wins. I’m
A fan of the team.

But if they deny his appeal, and he serves the suspension, I’m ok with that too. I actually think the NFL got this one right.

Imagine if Charles Clay did that same exact cheapshot to Malcom Butler. We’d be asking for his head. There’s no room for those kind of cheap shots in sports.

Ideal scenario... Gronk appeals, plays vs Miami, loses appeal, sits vs Bills.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST