PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Grizzlies: The Defensive Front Line

Status
Not open for further replies.
THAT'S what I'm talking about, Brothah!! :rocker:

I could be wrong, but I think you're only the 2nd guy ~ besides me, obviously ~ to advocate snagging TWO High Caliber D Line GRIZZLIES in the first 33!! Well PLAYED, sir!! :D

YES!! Depth of Talent is VITAL to The Championship Quest!!

Sign me up.

THAT'S what I'm talking about, Brothah!! :rocker:

I could be wrong, but I think you're only the 2nd guy ~ besides me, obviously ~ to advocate snagging TWO High Caliber D Line GRIZZLIES in the first 33!! Well PLAYED, sir!! :D

YES!! Depth of Talent is VITAL to The Championship Quest!!

Sign me up.

DONE, Brother Maine!! :D

OK, seems the tsunami for taking two DEs is now verifiable. It's coming. The Patriots are listening. Even with Stroud, we can't have enough.

Ty Warren, Vince Wilfork, Marcus Stroud
Cameron Heyward, Ron Brace, JJ Watt
Mike Wright, Kyle Love, Myron Pryor
Deaderick, Weston

Here's a really kicking excerpt on my Binky, Kenrick Ellis, from an article from Fish Country, brought to you by Brother Box:

Those that were not able to see many of Hampton's games were treated to quite an experience when/if they got a chance to watch the NFLPA Texas vs. Nation All Star game in San Antonio, Texas this year. Some are familiar with Kenrick Ellis from his having been a Jamaican-born, four-star recruit out of the state of Florida, heading to South Carolina and red-shirting in 2006, following up with a decent 2007 mostly as a reserve player, and then promptly being kicked off the team for multiple rules violations (reportedly failed drug tests). He was also suspended by Hampton for a game in 2010 for unknown reasons.

Now that I've said that, the fact of the matter is there are only so many 6'5" and 336 lbs players that move the way he does on this planet. I believe they refer to that as the 'planet theory'. If you watch his showing at the NFLPA game, you'll see a guy with clear 1st round talent, that will come off the board later than the 1st round purely because of off field issues. His explosion off the snap and especially his large and powerful hands, which he uses exceptionally to steer and dominate offensive linemen, are all special. His ability to run and chase the ball in space is even more special.

I recently heard that his coaches at Hampton have been telling people that he loves to run linebacker drills just for fun. Watching him on the film, you're not surprised. He plays like University of Miami defensive lineman Allen Bailey could play, if he gained weight, utilized any amount of technique, and had a better motor. Yet, Bailey will go higher. I see Kenrick Ellis as a special player that could potentially become one of the premier defensive tackles in the NFL, if he keeps his head on straight.

The Dolphins are reportedly ready to allow nose tackle Paul Soliai test free agency when/if a new CBA is agreed upon. The Dolphins are taking a serious gamble there. But, if drug issues push Kenrick Ellis into the 3rd round, they could have the opportunity to replace Soliai with a player that could be even more dynamic down the road. Miami's front office will be concerned about Ellis' off field troubles, but they will primarily concern themselves with whether or not Kenrick Ellis loves football and is willing to work at it. That is a difficult question to answer.

However, the way he hustled all week during NFLPA All Star practices according to friends of ours that were present, and the enthusiasm and hustle he showed on the field during the game itself, suggest that he is either motivated by a love for the game, or by money, and a smart team can use either to their advantage.

Dave Hyde | Sun Sentinel blogs | Draft Winds: Players for Dolphins to study at Combine

JJ Watt, baby. :cool:

He's DYN ~ O ~ MITE!!! :D

dynomite-large.jpg

My Case For Kenrick Ellis

Kenrick Ellis works out with Patriots ~ Aaron Wilson of National FootBall Post

Ellis interviewed well at the NFL scouting combine and was accountable for past transgressions that got him dismissed from South Carolina (reportedly failed drug tests) before transferring to Hampton and being suspended for one game.

"We like the kid," an NFL source said. "We were impressed with him."

Ellis addressed the off-field problems at the NFL scouting combine during an interview with a crowd of media.

"I had character issues," he acknowledged. "I had disciplinary problems. They did everything they could. It just didn't work out for me. I had to get out of there.

"I had to look within myself and change a lot of things within myself and around me. And after I changed those things, it was pretty much easy after that. I had to realize that I had a problem, and I confronted it and overcame it."

Those of you who've removed Kenrick Ellis from your Boards have good reason to do so. His past is sketchy as hell.

And God knows he could be lying out his @$$, well coached by his Agent, as are so very many: When I listen to Cam Newton, for instance, my BS Meter is HOWLING.

But after a lifetime of hearing and reading BS, and contrasting it to the sounds and words of Authenticity...I believe I have acquired a good sense of the difference.

And Kenrick Ellis strikes me as a sincere young man who reached an Inflection Point...and made some fundamental changes.

Could I be wrong?? HELL, yeah.

Wouldn't be the first time.

But History tells me trust my own judgment, and take my chances.

And my judgment is that Kenrick Ellis, he of an UNEARTHLY combination of Power, Speed, Athleticism, and MASS....is a damned good BET. :cool:

I think Nevis will have a good NFL career for someone, he has awfully quick feet, and is active, reminds me of a Vince Wilfork.

I could see a 4-3 team use him at DE.

Grizzlies: The Defensive Front Line

I don’t include Drake Nevis, because, while he’s an hell of a FootBall player, he is, at 6.1/285, to put it in Brad Childress terms: “A Systemic MisMatch.”

I think Nevis will have a good NFL career for someone, he has awfully quick feet, and is active, reminds me of a Vince Wilfork.

I could see a 4-3 team use him at DE.

Good call.

I don't like Drake Nevis for us, but I can definitely see him being successfull in the right Scheme.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes