PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Grizzlies: The Defensive Front Line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Off The Grid

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
Grizzlies: The Defensive Front Line

A few Threads have come and gone, mostly because the authors have lives that are considerably more balanced than mine. If no one has any objection, and with the College season entering the stretch run, I thought I'd roll this thread out there ~ and a few others like it ~ as a means of consolidating the thoughts of anyone who wishes to make this Thread their own. Of course this is not intended to replace individual Threads; only to offer a One Stop Shop for each category.

My idea is to employ this thread as an Emporium ~ a gathering place ~ for any and all Rankings, Scouting Reports, Opinions, Arguments, and other assorted Random Thoughts that might occur to any of us on the subject, or that we might wish to pull in from other sources. I'll certainly be doing so, because it helps me to have all my thoughts on one subject consolidated, but if anyone else wishes to join in, or take over, I hope you'll feel free to do just that!!

I'll get things rolling with an overview...

Nose Tackle

The vast majority and I will diverge dramatically on the importance of Nose Tackle to this team: I rate this position's importance to our success above all others, save QuarterBack, and, were we starting from scratch, today, I would look for my Nose Tackle with our very first pick, and our QuarterBack, frankly, in the late, late rounds.

I consider it imperative to our Championship Quest that we always field 2 High Grade Nose Tackles, on any given Sunday, and are developing quality Depth beyond that. Again: Every bit as vital as QuarterBack, in my view.

A year after an incredibly deep class of Defensive Tackles, the current crop is rather barren.

Top Tier

Stephen Paea, Oregon State ~ 6.2/310
Marvin Austin, North Carolina ~ 6.3/310
Jerrell Powe, Mississippi, ~ 6.2/320

I don’t include Drake Nevis, because, while he’s an hell of a FootBall player, he is, at 6.1/285, to put it in Brad Childress terms: “A Systemic MisMatch.”

Some Second Tier Guys

Sione Fua, Stanford ~ 6.2/310
Kenrick Ellis, Hampton ~ 6.5/340

Late Round Dark Horses

Phil Taylor, Baylor ~ 6.4/340
Chris Neild, West Virginia ~ 6.2/305

Binkie Alert!!

Phil Taylor, Baylor ~ 6.4/340

This could be the steal of the DRAFT. This guy's reputation is very dubious, with many considering him to be lazy and undisciplined. I do not presume to know a man's heart, but I know this: Months before this year began, Wes Bunting of NationalFootBallPost.com predicted that this guy would look ineffective this year, due to being miscast in a conference ~ The Big 12 ~ that spreads things out and forces him to cover a lot of space, which is not his forte.

But he's incredibly strong, he's enormous, and he commands both a powerfull Vertical Drive and an explosive Launch. He is incredibly raw, and that is absolutely fantastic news. Because of the colossal Supply Chain advantage that Coach Bill has forged over the years ~ and ramped up dramatically, the last two ~ we can afford to keep spending Value Picks on raw talent with high upside, and then put our exceptional crew of Coaches to work on them, allowing them to take the learning process all the way through the gears: Allowing them to master the game, rather than get thrown in the fire.

I believe we can scoop up Phil Taylor in the 4th Round, as things currently project, and then put Pepper Johnson to work on him, and when all is said and done, we have the potential to have another Top 5 Nose Tackle ~ an high 1st Round Value ~ for the price of a 4th Rounder!!

Can you just imagine...what the Tactical possibilities would be?? :eek:

Defensive End

This is an incredibly deep class of Top Tier Talent. It is my cherished hope that Coach Bill drafts not one, but TWO starting caliber Defensive Ends in this Draft. Some of these guys are expected Tackle Conversions. Asterisks indicate that they’re Juniors that I expect or simply hope will come out. My apologies for any errors.

Top Tier

Adrian Clayborn, Iowa ~ 6.3/285
Cameron Hayward, Ohio State ~ 6.5/290
Cameron Jordan, California ~ 6.4/285
Christian Ballard, Iowa ~ 6.5/300
Allen Bailey, Miami ~ 6.4/285
*Marcell Dareus, Alabama ~ 6.3/310
*Nick Fairley, Auburn ~ 6.4/300
*Jared Crick, Nebraska ~ 6.6/285
*Muhammad Wilkerson, Temple ~ 6.5/300
*JJ Watt, Wisconsin ~ 6.6/290

Some Second Tier Guys

Jarvis Jenkins, Clemson ~ 6.4/315
Pernell McPhee, Mississippi State ~ 6.3/285
*Derek Wolfe, Cincinnati ~ 6.5/295
*Lawrence Guy, Arizona State ~ 6.5/300

Binkie Alert!!

JJ Watt, Wisconsin ~ 6.6/290

A FRIGHTENING Talent, who will probably go somewhere in the 2nd Round, due to an incredibly deep Defensive End Draft Class, and due to his incredibly raw and unrefined game, which will scare just about everybody else off, particularly as most of them have only the one 2nd Rounder.

He commands an intoxicating blend of explosive Burst, mercurial moves, and a relentless Motor. A converted Offensive End who spent his first year delivering pizzas, just to earn his way, he is Full Bore SCRAPPER: A tenacious, relentless Beast, a passionate Student of the Game, and a fanatical perfectionist who was absolutely BORN to play for the Patriots.

He will need a LOT of work, as he's only been playing the position for a couple of years, which will ~ praise the Gods ~ scare the hell out of all the other teams...But if we draft this guy, he will give us everything he's got, and I have complete and utter confidence that ~ under the fine tutelage of Coaches Belichick and Johnson ~ he will, good health granted, develop into one of the greatest 5 Techs in the GAME.

Essentially: A Top 10 Talent for a 2nd Round Price.

Nick Fairley Scouting Reports

Wes Bunting ~ 10.27.10

Finally, the defensive prospect of the week had to be Auburn defensive tackle Nick Fairley, who was absolutely dominant throughout the LSU game this past weekend. At 6-4, 295 pounds, he packs one of the strongest initial punches on contact of any lineman in the country. He does a great job using his length, hands and leverage to consistently shed blocks in both the run and pass game. But even more impressive in my opinion was his ability to find the football. He showcased a great feel for the game, displayed impressive awareness inside and his combination of power, flexibility and burst was simply too much for any single- or double-team thrown his way. The guy also has the frame and power to get some hard looks as a potential five-technique in the NFL. But his calling card looks to be getting after ball carriers and creating havoc behind the line as a three-technique prospect and as of now you would be hard pressed in convincing me that there is a better defensive tackle in the country than Fairley.

Nick Fairley is GODZILLA: An absolute MONSTER.

How soon he gets drafted, though, is a matter of concern.

In my view, he can play any Front Line...But a 5 Tech is probably not his best fit.

Interesting note on Cameron Jordan from Wes Bunting NationFootballPost.com, thinks he is a top 10 type player. That makes three potential 3-4 ends with very high ratings (Fairley, Dareus and Jordan)
Scout?s notebook: defense | National Football Post

"1. DE Cameron Jordan has been as dominant on a weekly basis as any defensive lineman in the country. His combination of power, coordination and suddenness in both the pass and run game allows him to consistently shed blocks and get after the football. Not only do I think he’s a better prospect than 2009 Cal lineman Tyson Alualu, who went tenth overall last season, but I am now starting to think he could end up going just as high"

Interesting note on Cameron Jordan from Wes Bunting NationFootballPost.com, thinks he is a top 10 type player. That makes three potential 3-4 ends with very high ratings (Fairley, Dareus and Jordan)
Scout?s notebook: defense | National Football Post

"1. DE Cameron Jordan has been as dominant on a weekly basis as any defensive lineman in the country. His combination of power, coordination and suddenness in both the pass and run game allows him to consistently shed blocks and get after the football. Not only do I think he’s a better prospect than 2009 Cal lineman Tyson Alualu, who went tenth overall last season, but I am now starting to think he could end up going just as high"

Good stuff. I love Jordan.

I'll be rolling out some composite Defensive End Scouting Reports, today.

Do you really have to call them Grizzlies?

I want Nick Fairley now.

I want Nick Fairley now.

No kidding. Beastly.

Dareus looks pretty good, too. If we can come away with one of them, I'd be quite happy. Actually, sticking with the Iron Bowl theme, Julio Jones looks so smooth for a big guy; if he somehow magically falls to our 1b pick, I would not at all be opposed to drafting him. Near Moss level of physical tools, with Welker's routes, physicality, and blocking ability. He's very quick for a 6'4, #220 WR.

I'd be very happy with Fairley or Dareus, you just need to look at how a dominant D-liner like Suh did yesterday to realize the value they bring.

It all starts in the trenches.

Fairley is going to go quick...we need a top notch DL or two...How is Ty Warren doing on rehab???

I'd be very happy with Fairley or Dareus, you just need to look at how a dominant D-liner like Suh did yesterday to realize the value they bring.

Agreed but our Suh is Vince Wilfork. Fairley and Dareus will likely be top 10 picks. Clayborn, Jordan and Bailey will probably end up Top 15. There is going to be a run on DE's early this year in the draft. So do you take the 4-5th best 3-4 DE or the 2nd-3rd best guy at another poistion that could help us out and then get the 6th-7th best DE like Jared Crick at the end of round 1 or beginning of round 2. I think that's going the be the strategy.

Damned RIGHT it does, Brothah!! :rocker:

There is going to be a run on DE's early this year in the draft.

You may very well be right, but I strongly suspect it'll go VERY differently.

The sheer VOLUME of High Caliber D Line Grizzlies plays to our advantage.

A Run is precipitated by a lack of supply, not an excess. :cool:

The Law of Supply and Demand...is our Ally.

*OK: Here we go, Gentlemen: I'm gonna roll out 7.

Lots of good stuff on Cameron Jordan...

NFP's Wes Bunting on Cam Jordan

California defensive lineman Cameron Jordan is a guy who seems to be on everyone’s “hot” list of players who has performed well this year and making his move up draft boards. However, what a lot of draft experts don’t realize is just how good of a player this guy really is. And to be honest neither did I until I just watched my first two games of the guy from this year. I had him as a potential starter at the next level based off his junior tape, but now I think this guy is someone who can come in, start early in his career and mature as a very good starting caliber lineman for an NFL team.

Jordan has a lot of things going for him — he’s big, strong, explosive, versatile and can win in both the run and pass game. He is inconsistent extending his arms and using his hands properly at this stage. But at 6-4, he possesses a really thick hindquarters and has an ideal build for maximizing his football strength inside. Plus, he’s a natural bender who plays hard and has been at times downright dominant this year. When watching tape of him and Tyson Alualu from a year ago, I truly believe that Jordan is the better prospect. Does that mean he will go top-10? No. However, this guy looks like one of the best defensive line prospects in the entire draft and has the makings of a first-round talent through the early portions of the 2010 season.

New Era Scouting on Cam Jordan

Cameron Jordan ~ 6'4, 282 pounds | Defensive end | California

Pass rush: Where Jordan is ahead of many college ends is that he has an array of pass rush moves. His best is a power move where he slaps with his lead hand and pulls his other arm over to get past the blocker. Also employs a nice spin and a rip move. Don't let his size fool you, Jordan isn't just a power rusher. Lines up over the right tackle most of the time. Can be a little slow on stunts. Will have some trouble against the quickest tackles who can simply mirror him.

Pursuit: Shows good quickness off the snap. Good timing. Fairly strong in pursuit. Jordan doesn't move laterally as well as other ends, or even as well as Cameron Heyward. Can be a little stiff in the hips on his movement. Gives a good effort, but maybe not a hair-on-fire kind of player that will work all over the line.

Run defense: Very stout against the run. Jordan is a big, strong end who keeps a good base against the run. Since he's hard to move around, Jordan is a natural lane closer. Run defense isn't always evident in the stat sheet. Often pushes the lineman back into the pocket to slow down the ball carrier, which allows teammates to make the tackle. Has the quickness to get outside to contain the edge.

Strength: Jordan is NFL ready in the strength category. He's powerful enough to hold the edge and consistently close rushing lanes. Strong enough to beat double teams, as long as the second blocker doesn't go low. Will lose some of his strength advantage by getting high in his stance.

Tackling: Because Jordan is so strong, he's a devastating tackler. When he can wrap up, the play is over. Where Jordan could do better here is keeping his knees bent and when closing in the short area. Is the kind of power tackler where you wonder if he's hurt the ball carrier.

Technique: As good as Jordan is, he has some technique flaws. Most notably, he'll let offensive linemen get inside him for contain. This allows linemen to work him inside into the trash, knocking him out of the play. Jordan will tend to engage only once on a blocker and not make a second move. Could do a better job of guarding his feet from blind side blocks.

Final word: Jordan has proved as a senior that his game isn't predicated on playing next to Tyson Alualu. Still, he's not the top five talent some have been purporting. What he is, though, is a very good power end with the ability to play in the 3-4. With so many teams playing a 3-4 scheme, he should hear his name called in the first round.

SideLine Scouting on Cam Jordan

Cameron Jordan - California (HT: 6-4 - WT: 283)

Projection: 2nd Round

Positives: 48 tackles, 9.5 for loss and six sacks in 2009... Good size... Ideal fit as a five-technique... Could also play power end in a four-man front... NFL bloodlines, father, Steve, was a six-time Pro Bowl tight end with Vikings... Average pass rusher... Decent initial quickness... Uses his hands well... Long arms... Will effect passing lanes when he cannot reach QB... Good swim and club moves... Solid versus the run... Stays low... Good lower body strength... Can disengage quickly... Can anchor... Takes good ankles... Plays with good balance... Wide base... Keeps blockers off his body... Can make plays in pursuit... High motor... Does not wear down late in game... Disciplined... Good teammate... Has never missed a collegiate game due to injury... Already plays in 3-4 defense.

Negatives: Is not a speed threat... Lacks snap instincts... Four of six sacks last season came against mediocre competition (Maryland, Washington State and UCLA)... Is a better run stopper than pass rusher... No experience in a four-man front... Was suspended for 2008 season opener following arrest for suspicion of DUI.

And Brother Bunting's Latest on Jordan, per Brother John

DE Cameron Jordan has been as dominant on a weekly basis as any defensive lineman in the country. His combination of power, coordination and suddenness in both the pass and run game allows him to consistently shed blocks and get after the football. Not only do I think he’s a better prospect than 2009 Cal lineman Tyson Alualu, who went tenth overall last season, but I am now starting to think he could end up going just as high.

Cam Jordan is simply an awesome prospect.

He offers a tremendous blend of Anchoring Power against the Run and a fine Repertoire of Pass Rush techniques. He's got an exceptional work ethic, is an outstanding team mate, and he's already well schooled in the 3-4. I think the comparisons to his old mate, Alualu, are very apt, and, like the latter, would make an excellent fit on this crew, provided Coach Woicik can drop about 20 more pounds on'm.

NFP's Wes Bunting on Christian Ballard

DL Christian Ballard: No. 46 (6-4, 298)

A tall, long-armed prospect with a really explosive first step. Has the ability to consistently fire off the football, cleanly change directions in tight areas and use his length to beat linemen inside. Is a consistent threat to slip one-on-one blocks inside and loves to work his sudden arm over move in order to make his way up the field. Now, allows his pad level to get upright when changing directions and can be pushed past the pocket once he gains a step. But is the caliber of athlete who quickly regains his balance and instantly can close on the football. Exhibits a good feel when asked to shoot gaps up the field, plays off blocks well, uses his length to keep himself clean and really has a strong upper body. Showcases a good motor inside and even when his initial get off burst is stalled, he’s very coordinated fighting his way toward the football. Loves to spin away from blocks and just exhibits a real powerful element to his game in everything he does. Rarely stays blocked for long.

However, needs to do a better job getting his hands up initially into blocks vs. the run game. Too often allows opposing lineman to get into his frame off the snap. Now, has the kind of power to begin to start extending his arms and play off the block. But, can easily be knocked off balance vs. any kind of double inside when run at and get cleared away from the play. Possesses only average anchor strength at the point of attack and can be pushed past the play when he doesn’t locate the football quickly off the snap.

Impression: He’s a long, explosive defensive lineman who has the ability to line up all over an NFL defensive line. Certainly looks like a capable three-technique guy and could also be kicked outside to DE on run downs. Could also be one of the draft’s better potential five-technique prospects. However, his ability to shoot gaps and rush the passer might be too much to overlook for 4-3 defenses.

SideLine Scouting on Christian Ballard

Christian Ballard - Iowa (HT: 6-4 - WT: 298)

Positives: 54 tackles, nine for loss and 5.5 sacks in 2009... Can line up all over the defensive line... Very good five-technique prospect... Could play end or tackle in a four-man front... Three-technique tackle who could shift to DE on running downs... Good height... Very good bulk... Strong upper body... Good speed... Plays sideline to sideline... Solid pass rusher... Quick first step... Can shoot through gaps... Can disengage from and slip blocks... Active hands... Good length... Long arms... Good pass rush repertoire... Solid swim and spin moves... Adequate bull rush... Plays with good balance... Very solid run stopper... Good tackler... Hard hitter... Good closing speed... Always on his feet... Good motor... Well conditioned... Very disciplined... Mean streak... Durable, has not missed a game since the start of the 2008 season.

Negatives: High pad level... Can be pushed out of plays... Have not seen a rip move... Average anchor... Can be slow to diagnose run plays and linemen can win the battle for leverage off the snap... Will miss some arm tackles in traffic.

More from NFP's Wes Bunting on Christian Ballard

Christian Ballard: Iowa (6-5, 285)

Ballard came to Iowa as a defensive end and was even listed as the team’s starter at the position following spring practice. However, to help replace former Hawkeye DTs Mitch King and Matt Kroul, Ballard was kicked inside and hasn’t looked back since. Ballard possesses one of the most impressive first steps of any defensive lineman in the Big 10 and has the initial burst to consistently shoot gaps inside, keep his pad level down and fight through the double team. He finished this past Saturday vs. Northwestern with seven tackles, two tackles for loss and one sack and looks like an ideal one-gap penetrating-type lineman at the next level who could eventually compete for a starting job.

Ballard is another exceptional Defensive End prospect in a Draft that boasts extraordinary Depth of Talent at the position. It does seem as if he'd be a better fit for 4-3 Line, though, as his strengths and natural proclivities seem inclined towards being less of a Gap Sticker, and more of a Gap Shooter.

NFP's Wes Bunting on Allen Bailey

10. DL Allen Bailey, Miami (6-4, 288)

Possesses a great combination of body control and overall explosion off the snap for a prospect of his dimensions. Looks natural when asked to sit into his stance, keep his base down and fire off the football. Exhibits an impressive first step for a guy his size and possesses the type of natural flexibility to keep his pad level down when asked to get up the field while maintaining his balance and generating good power into contact. Now, isn’t a guy who can consistently threaten the corner in the NFL. But is a really effective push/pull defender who routinely is able to get under opposing linemen and drive them into the backfield on his bull. Does a nice job creating natural leverage for himself into contact and is the kind of athlete who can suddenly change directions, disengage and accelerate toward the football. Possesses a powerful set of hands and demonstrates the kind of natural strength to shed blocks consistently on contact. However, is still a bit inconsistent extending his arms into blocks and at times will wait until he is engaged.

Needs to do a better job getting off the snap count on time. Has a tendency to at times be one of the last defensive linemen moving off the ball, which really takes away from his effectiveness. Isn’t the most instinctive defensive lineman at this stage, either, as he fails to consistently read his run/pass keys off the snap and will take himself out of some key plays trying to make his way up the field. Nevertheless, has the type of lower body strength to anchor vs. the run and at times can be a dominant stack and shed type player. Is long and powerful in his upper body and exhibits the type of balance to suddenly fight his way off blocks when run at and can absolutely explode toward a ball carrier off his frame. Is very rangy for a guy his size and looks very natural in pursuit. But, his motor will run hot and cold at times.

Impression: It’s rare to find a guy at his size with this type of first-step burst, flexibility and overall power. Isn’t the most instinctive of defenders at this stage, but honestly I think with another year to mature, he will end up projecting as a starting caliber three-down lineman in the NFL with impact potential.

SideLine Scouting on Allen Bailey

Allen Bailey - Miami (FL) (HT: 6-4 - WT: 285)

Positives: Had 34 tackles, 11 for loss and seven sacks in 2009... Versatile, is an ideal fit as a defensive end in a 3-man front, could fit as a 3-technique (1-gap) defensive tackle in a 4-3... Physical specimen, can bench 375 pounds with a 38.5" vertical... Solid pass rusher... Solid bull and swim moves... Solid versus the run... Stays low... Generally wins the battle for leverage... Solid strength at the POA... Can take on a double team... Can anchor... Good tackler... Should line up at defensive tackle on passing downs... Good instincts... Plays with a high motor... Durable, has missed just one game in his college career (conditioning related).

Negatives: May not have the speed to constantly turn the corner as a defensive end at the next level... Spin move is very slow... Can be slow to redirect... More of an athlete than football player... Will need to add some weight to be considered as a full-time defensive tackle... Unsure of NFL position... Stress fracture in back as a senior in high school will linger in scouts' minds.

More from NFP's Wes Bunting on Allen Bailey

Bailey is the most explosive athlete of the bunch.*

He exhibits an impressive initial first step off the football, coils up well into his stance and has a nice combination of power and explosion to his game. He did a much better job this week vs. Ohio State anchoring at the point of attack when run at and when asked to stack a pulling guard.

Now, he still will take himself out of some plays at times, but for the most part I thought he did a much better job playing the run compared to last season. However, as a pass rusher I do have some concerns. He isn’t the most aware of defenders and is rarely the first lineman moving off the snap. And although he possesses a good first step when asked to get into defenders or shoot the C gap inside, he lacks ideal body control into contact, tends to lose balance and isn’t nearly as comfortable slipping blocks on contact and using his hands to disengage. He does possess some bull rush ability, but overall he’s still pretty raw as a pass rusher at this stage and might be better suited kicked inside to tackle on third downs where he can use his burst to one-gap and get up the field.

* He was comparing him to Cameron Heyward and Adrian Clayborn.

Allen Bailey, all in all, strikes me as a guy with vast and gorgeous Talent whose FootBall Smarts don't match up. Mind you, I do not want to put the kid down, and God knows: I may be dead wrong. He may as yet develop into a star, and I will always defer to Coach Bill on such evaluations, but my impression, at this early juncture, is that he may very well be the consummate NON Patriot.

SideLine Scouting on Marcel Dareus

Marcel Dareus - Alabama (HT: 6-3 - WT: 280)

Projection: 1st Round

Positives: Defensive MVP honors to lead to Crimson Tide to their 13th national championship in 2009... 33 tackles, nine for loss, 6.5 sacks and an interception in 2009... Ideal size as a defensive tackle in a four-man front... Also a good fit as a defensive end in a 3-4 scheme... Solid versus the run... Has the strength to get leverage when being run at... Stays low... Does a nice job disengaging from blocks... Quick hands... Recovers quickly... Can make plays from behind... Keeps legs driving... Is difficult to take out of the play... Very solid pass rusher... Very disruptive... Plays with good pad level... Can disengage quickly... Locates the ball quickly... Good closing speed... Good range on twists and stunts... Very solid quickness... Solid swim move... Very hard worker... Has overcome adversity in upbringing... Father, native of Haiti, died when he was six... Single mother left raised seven children before re-marrying... Mother is now in wheelchair after almost dying of congestive heart failure... Lived with assistant coach in high school before coach was killed in auto accident... Still very close with his mother and now living in sponsor family when not in Tuscaloosa.

Negatives: Started just four games last season, will see an increased role this year and needs to show he can increase productivity and remain effective... Will sometimes give up on plays early... Would need to lose some weight to play defensive end in a 4-3 scheme or add bulk to be anything more than a penetrator inside at tackle... Will not be able to rely only on brute strength at the next level... Adding muscle mass will make him even stronger and quicker.

Draft Bible on Marcell Dareus

1. Marcel Dareus, Alabama

Our number-four overall prospect for 2011 tops the list of junior defensive end NFL prospects. At 6’3” and 306 pounds Dareus is among the most versatile defensive linemen in the country. He has already shown us what he can do as a three-four defensive end and many believe he will end up as a defensive tackle playing in a four-three scheme. Considering his athleticism and agility, if the Alabama product were to drop some weight he might be able to play some four-three end, particularly on early downs. Nevertheless, it says here he would be best served continuing to play in a “34-defense” where he can use his variety of skills. While opponents were well aware of Dareus prior to the BCS Championship game, there is little doubt that his performance against the Texas Longhorns (Defensive MVP) was his national coming out party. A natural knee bender who can be a force against both the run and the pass, Dareus should be a dominating presence for the 2010 Crimson Tide as he emerges as the linchpin to Nick Saban’s defense. The Alabama native put up impressive sack numbers for a three-four end as a sophomore, which he needs to keep up as he takes on a greater role this season and becomes a more consistent performer. Dareus is ranked atop the list of junior defensive ends entering the 2010 season, but to maintain his lofty status he will have to perform at a high level this season.

Marcell Dareus is an absolutely awesome talent.

He'll probably go too early for us to get him, and I'd rather not see us give up sweet early Picks in order to move up and lock up a ton of Salary Cap space in one guy, when a LOAD of powerfull Talent is available, later on, for a fraction of the price...But if he were to fall to us, it certainly wouldn't break my heart.

NFP's Wes Bunting on Nick Fairley

Finally, the defensive prospect of the week had to be Auburn defensive tackle Nick Fairley, who was absolutely dominant throughout the LSU game this past weekend. At 6-4, 295 pounds, he packs one of the strongest initial punches on contact of any lineman in the country. He does a great job using his length, hands and leverage to consistently shed blocks in both the run and pass game. But even more impressive in my opinion was his ability to find the football. He showcased a great feel for the game, displayed impressive awareness inside and his combination of power, flexibility and burst was simply too much for any single- or double-team thrown his way. The guy also has the frame and power to get some hard looks as a potential five-technique in the NFL. But his calling card looks to be getting after ball carriers and creating havoc behind the line as a three-technique prospect and as of now you would be hard pressed in convincing me that there is a better defensive tackle in the country than Fairley.

SideLine Scouting on Nick Fairley

Nick Fairley - Auburn (HT: 6-5 - WT: 300)

Positives: Has 47 tackles, 18 for loss, 7.5 sacks, 18 QB hurries and an interception through 11 games this season... Good size... Could fit a variety of schemes, as a three-technique for a four-man front or defensive end in a 3-4 scheme... Solid versus the run... Uses his hands well... Good strength to disengage from blocks... Recovers quickly... Can make plays from behind... Is difficult to take out of the play... Very athletic... Very solid pass rusher... Explosive first step... Constantly in the backfield... Can beat double teams... Is dominant in one-on-one situations... Very good bull rusher... Effective swim move... Very good closing speed... Can drop into passing lanes... Recognition skills... Plays with intensity... High motor... Tremendous upside, should continue to get better and climb up draft boards.

Negatives: Had been very unproductive prior to this season, just 28 tackles and one sack during his sophomore season... Former junior college transfer who started just two games prior to this season... Can wear down a bit as the game progresses... Has not had to show a variety of pass rushing moves this early in the season... Plays a little high... Technique needs to be polished.

CowBoys Nation Interviews Wes Bunting about Nick Fairley

Cowboys Nation: Let's talk about Nick Fairley. My jaw dropped and stayed that way watching him play. Is he coming out? I can't see him staying in school a game like that, on top of his year-to-date.

Wes Bunting: I agree. He was absolutely dominant in all areas of the game. What's so intriguing about him is he's 6'4'', 300 pounds. He can play as a 5-technique. He explodes off the snap, but what's so impressive about his game is his ability to extend his arms, maintain balance and that jolt he creates on contact just overwhelms people. He can anchor in the run game and he does a great job of finding the football.

A lot of these talented guys can't find the football. Just because you beat a block doesn't put you around the ball to make a play. He consistently finds the football, so his combination of balance, leverage, ability to shed blocks and find the football against the run and the pass? That's what makes him truly special. Big Suh was so physically dominant and it's hard to compare Fairley to a physical marvel like Suh but if Fairley were to stay another year, he could be just as dominant and he might have better instincts finding the football. He was just that good. I've only seen him one time, 'cause I didn't think he would come out but after watching him for four quarters, he's the best defensive lineman I've seen to this point.

Cowboys Nation: We talked a lot last week about Marcell Dareus and we've talked a lot about the Clayborns and the Baileys and the Ballards. Is he clearly above those guys?

Wes Bunting: I'll repeat, I've only seen one game and I can go back, and it's all heresay until he declares, but if you put the proverbial gun to my head and said, Wes, take a defensive lineman, I'm taking Nick Fairley. He was unreal.

Cowboys Nation: There was a play that stands out. You're going to know what I'm talking about. It was late in the 3rd quarter, a passing down. Fairley lined up shaded on the left guard's outside shoulder. LSU's left tackle pinched to help double-team Fairley, and he put his left hand on the guards shoulder, his right hand on the tackles shoulder and pulled them apart, rushed through and made the sack. He looked like Samson smashing the pillars of the temple.

Wes Bunting: It was just unexplainable, and he's a true junior. He's not a redshirt junior, he's a true junior. He's 21. He might be 20 right now. He's a rock. He's something. As a 5-technique for the Cowboys, if they could get him, I wouldn't lose any sleep over him. But they're picking what now, fifth? He could be gone by then.

What can I say about Nick Fairley?? He is a STORM, an utter NIGHTMARE to opposing LineMen. He is terrifyingly explosive, brutally powerfull, and is incredibly instinctive. He is a BEAST.

Like Dareus, he'll probably go too early for us to get without tearing things up. But by GOD he'd look great in a Patriots uniform.

NFP's Wes Bunting on Cameron Heyward

DL Cameron Heyward: No. 97 (6-5, 280)

A bit of a DE/DT tweener who has the versatility to line up both on the strong side at end and kick inside to the three-technique on passing downs. Possesses an average/good first step off the line and does a nice job keeping his pad level down for such a big guy, playing with natural leverage and maximizing his strength into contact. Possesses good run/pass recognition and does a nice job quickly locating the football. Consistently is able to use his hands/length and overall athleticism to disengage from blocks and make his way toward the play vs. the run. Extends his long arms well into blocks, demonstrating good hand placement inside and can consistently get under opponents on contact.

Now, he needs to do a better job getting off the snap count on time. His concentration seems to falter later in games when he starts to wear down and will end up on the ground too easily. However, when the motor is running he will chase balls down from the backside and works hard in pursuit. Looks much more explosive off the snap when lined up inside, sees the ball better and is consistently the first defensive lineman getting into his man. Lacks the first step to reach the corner as a pass rusher off the edge, but is a really effective bull rusher who routinely is able to create a jolt into contact, gain leverage and drive his man into the backfield. Possesses good balance through contact, extending his arms and slightly changing angles enough to work his way toward the quarterback. Isn’t a real sudden guy who can quickly change directions and/or pull the rug out from opposing tackles once engaged, but has the ability to gain a step laterally out of his stance with some kind of shimmy off the ball and drive his way up the field when lined up both inside or out.

Impression: His ability to anchor on the outside and shed blocks in both the run and pass game will serve him well. Doesn’t strike me as a potential dominant pass rusher in the NFL, but he has the versatility to create mismatches in a 4-3 front and should also get some looks as a 3-4 DE, as well. I would expect him to mature into a very solid starter in the NFL.

SideLine Scouting on Cameron Heyward

Cameron Heyward - Ohio St. (HT: 6-5 - WT: 288)

Positives: Combined for 82 tackles, 14.5 for loss and 9.5 sacks in 2008-09... Can play any position in a four-man front and would be a good fit as a 5-technique defensive end... NFL bloodlines, father, Craig "Ironhead" Heyward is former running back... Solid pass rushing skills... Quick first step... Uses his hands well to discard blocks... Can drive back offensive linemen... Solid bull rusher... Active hands to knock down passes at the line... Very solid against the run... Can shed double teams... Strong upper body, can bring down ball carrier with one arm... Does a nice job staying low... Stout... Can shed blocks to make players at or around the line of scrimmage... Can drop back in coverage in two-point stance on occasion... Was awarded Jack Stephenson Award as outstanding defensive lineman by his coaches in 2009.

Negatives: Can struggle to disengage when offensive linemen lock on... Does not have elite closing speed to get around the edge... On the ground too much... Can be taken out of the play at the line of scrimmage... Will struggle to make plays in pursuit... Not someone to drop in coverage on a regular basis... Can get caught out of position... A bit inconsistent, is sometimes dominant yet too often a non-factor... Would need to add some weight to be considered as a full-time defensive tackle... Lacks the stamina needed from a three-down player... Suffered from an ankle injury prior to the 2009 season.

New Era Scouting on Cameron Heyward

Cameron Heyward ~ Height: 6’5 | Weight: 288 | Ohio State

Pass Rush/Closing ability/Moves and counter moves: Relies on a mixture of speed and strength to beat college blockers. To excel in the NFL, Heyward must learn to counter blockers and/or set them up for secondary moves. Is quick enough off the ball to stun blockers and beat them with his first move. Rarely gets locked up by a single blocker. Gets off chips and punches well, and is strong enough to recover from initial blows. Has good balance and can change direction at full speed.

Pursuit/Lateral movement and agility: One word you hear a lot from coaches and scouts surrounding Heyward is “motor”. He is noted for his hard work and non-stop motor on the football field. Moves down the line of scrimmage well. Has quick feet and is more agile than most interior linemen.

Quickness/Explosion: Shows great explosion off the line of scrimmage. Routinely beats the offensive lineman off the ball. While he has very good burst, his long speed is not at the same level. Is not fast enough to run down ball carriers.

Run defend/Recognition: Over-runs the play at times when trying to get too far up-field. Will “forget” about the run and focus 100% on pressuring the quarterback. Must become more multi-faceted. Does a good job of anchoring and setting the edge against runs. In the past he has shown a good ability to mirror or key running quarterbacks. Has the base to take on double teams, something he has faced weekly since his junior season.

Size/Length/Hand size: Heyward has great height and length for a 3-4 defensive end. He is a little lean for a defensive tackle, which leads us to believe he will be moved outside in the NFL. Heyward does have room to grow. His 6’5 frame can hold much more weight/muscle mass than he is currently carrying. Has terrific extension due to long arms.

Strength/Ability to shed blocks: Does a nice job of using his hands to disengage blockers. Heyward also excels at preventing blockers from getting their hands on him. He has quick instincts and good vision for shedding blocks. His strength is above-average for a player of his size. He does have room to grow as needed for his position in the NFL.

Tackling: Makes the majority of his tackles in traffic. Does show a mean streak and aggression when given an open lane to the ball carrier. Closes well on the ball. Ability to change direction quickly and turn the corner to attack the ball.

Technique/Hand use/Leverage: Heyward’s pass rushing technique leaves something to be desired. Too often he relies on pure athleticism to beat the opposing blocker. Must develop secondary/counter moves. Comes out of his stance too high at times. Does not always attack the blocker. Will get lost against the run at times, but has made major improvements in this area of his game. Can get in a habit of going balls-out after the quarterback, which lets draws and counters run right by him. Must be more aware of the run game.

Versatility: The most versatile defensive lineman in the 2011 NFL Draft class, Heyward has the athleticism and strength to play either defensive end or defensive tackle in multiple fronts. His versatility will make him a very attractive player to teams who value a true “three-down” lineman.

Final Word: A starter since early in his freshman season, Heyward will enter the NFL as one of the most accomplished and experienced defensive linemen in college football. His football pedigree, athleticism and strength make him a high-priority player for NFL front offices. Heyward projects best as a left-end in a 4-3 scheme or as a defensive end in a 3-4 front. Cover 2 defenses will give Heyward a look as an under tackle who shoots the “B” gap and creates pressure on the quarterback.

At this point in his career, Heyward reminds us of Richard Seymour during his college career at Georgia.

Bunting compares Heyward's Game to that of Bailey + Clayborn

But he plays the run extremely well as a base end, recognizing his run/pass keys quickly, generating good leverage on contact and using his long powerful arms to stack and shed on the edge.

Sanity ~ or my version of it ~ has finally descended upon me.

Having gotten swept away in the whirlwind romance of my fevered imagination, speculating what it might be like to scoop up Marcel Dareus, Nick Fairley, Robert Quinn, or DaQuan Bowers...I have simmered down long enough to take a calmer, cooler look at those old names that've been beaten into the dust: Cameron Heyward and Adrian Clayborn.

And when I take a long, carefull look at Cameron Heyward's skill set, it finally dawns on me: This guy might be a PERFECT Left End for us.

First off: He's a towering BEAST. And he is a strong and POWERFULL Beast. He Anchors. He's got a Tackle's mentality, so stepping out to Left End ~ where he's also got some impressive experience ~ is a perfect fit for the skills he's developed over 4 long years. His Processing Speed is excellent: He's very quick at reading his Run/Pass cues, and he's quick to locate the FootBall, as well. And while his game needs work ~ who's doesn't? ~ he routinely wins the leverage battle and collapses pockets, which is precisely what we're looking for in a Left End.

"At this point in his career, Heyward reminds us of Richard Seymour during his college career at Georgia."

Man, that sounds good to ME. :rocker:

I am INTOXICATED with the possibilities that've been brought up, with regards to Adrian Clayborn, by the utterly shocking insight of Drew Boylhart of The Huddle, as first brought to our attention by The Immortal Brother Mayo Clinic. But first:

NFP's Wes Bunting on Adrian Clayborn

DE Adrian Clayborn: No. 94 (6-3, 287)

A thick, well-built defensive lineman with a strong lower half who has the ability to consistently anchor vs. blocks when run at. Is very balanced and coordinated on the move, extending his arms into contact and consistently playing off opposing linemen. Is a real stack and shed guy who displays a powerful punch at the point. Is really tough to get into off the line, extends his arms well into opposing linemen while maintaining his balance and working his way toward the ball carrier.

Isn’t the most explosive guy initially off the snap as a pass rusher and isn’t going to threaten the edge at the next level. However, for such a big defensive end, he exhibits impressive nimbleness and lateral agility to break off a sudden inside move off his initial outside pass rush. Exhibits a quick arm over with the ability to cleanly change directions and gain a step inside. However, allows his pad level to rise and will lose balance, giving athletic offensive tackles a chance to push him past the play. But has a powerful base and can really generate a jolt on contact as a bull rusher. However, it’s his balance, body control and ability to gain leverage on contact that allows him to be so effective disengaging in the pass game. Isn’t simply a push/pull guy as his lateral quickness paired with his power allow him to consistently shed on contact.

Impression: Isn’t your prototypical speed rusher. However, he’s a guy who can win on first, second and third down for you at the next level at either defensive end spots. Looks like a potential ten-year vet.

*I'm going to have to compress the next two reports, to allow for space*

New Era Scouting on Adrian Clayborn

SideLine Scouting on Adrian Clayborn

NFP's Bunting compares Clayborn's Game to that of Heyward + Bailey

Iowa’s Adrian Clayborn is far and way the best of the three.

He isn’t quite the athlete that Bailey is; however, it’s his suddenness, body control and extremely quick/powerful hands that allows him to consistently slip blocks and accelerate up the field. Pair that with his overall power on his bull rush and drive when asked to fight through defenders once he gains a step and he is in my opinion the best pass rusher of the bunch.

The guy also does a great job anchoring vs. the run as well.

He possesses a nice blend of power, balance and range when asked to stack and shed on contact and displays the instincts to consistently find the football and make a play off his frame.

Finally: The SHOCKING Insight of Drew Boylhart of TheHuddleReport.com

Adrian Clayborn DE/OLB Iowa

STRENGTHS

Adrian is a smart, quick defensive lineman who shows leadership skills through his play on the field. He is very coachable and looks to be an excellent teammate. He has good size, strength and speed and has a variety of pass rushing moves that, along with his quickness, speed and burst will make him a pass rushing nightmare for the next level. Adrian is a head up, wrap up, squeeze and drive tackler with excellent instincts and when he uses his quickness, he can shed a block and make a tackle when defending against the run. He is the type of player who might be downgraded in this draft because he is a team player and is very coachable.

However, trust me when I say that Adrian, used correctly, will become a nightmare for offensive coordinators to deal with at the next level in the near future.

CONCERNS

Adrian is playing with too much weight. I think if he loses weight and shows some linebacker skills in the combine and Senior Bowl, you will see people talking about Adrian in a more positive manner. Adrian has a little bit of a macho attitude that makes him think that he can use strength at the next level to stop the run. Adrian has to learn better techniques to stop the run to be successful at his position in the NFL.

BOTTOM LINE

In Adrian's junior year he was in a defense that used his quickness and attacking attitude to become one of the more disruptive players in all of college. He reminded me a lot at the time of Charles Haley (former DE/OLB Cowboys & 49ers). Adrian, in his junior year, was quick, strong, powerful, instinctive and a disruptive force that had to be accounted for on every play. You never knew where he was going to line up. He did the job that Clay Mathews does now for the Green Bay Packers.

Then Iowa had to go to a different style of defense to protect its young linebackers. Now Adrian looks like he gained weight, and is playing more of a pure two gap DE position. This is not his strength; however, to his credit, he is doing a very good job. If he is not double teamed on big plays, he is still disruptive but he is not as impacting and looks to most people (Not me) to be a bit of a tweener. I don't believe in down grading a player because he listens to his coaches' and is a good teammate. Adrian is an attacking front seven player who, if slimmed down and moved around a defense to be used in an attack-style approach on every play regardless of down or distance, will become a nightmare for the opposing team -- very much like Clay Mathews (Packers) and Brian Orakpo (Redskins). I would guess that if Adrian slims down to about 260 Lbs you will have yourself the type of player you can build your defense around. Adrian has the type of burst and explosion to the play that helps to make him that unique style of player who is disruptive on every play if he is moved around the defense and allowed to attack the line of scrimmage.

Slim him down, move him around, let him attack and use his instincts and trust me he will not be a tweener...he will become a recurring nightmare to the offensive coordinators in the NFL.

That's why I call him Adrian (Nightmare) Clayborn.

Wow. :eek:

For those of you who don't know the name, Boylhart is just a flat out VISIONARY.

Gentlemen?? Lady??

I am SOLD.

I'm convinced that Clayborn ~ reduced to his previous weight, and playing off the line ~ could be ~ what's the word??
huh.gif
~ a NIGHTMARE for opposing Offenses!!
fire.gif

Bunting on Fairley

Finally, it almost seems too easy at times for Auburn DT Nick Fairley. His ability to fire off the football, cross the face of opposing linemen and knife his way into the backfield is one of the main reasons why this guy has been one of the most dominant linemen in the country all season. Plus, the guy has the anchor and power in his upper body to fend off blocks and showcases strong hands when asked to quickly disengage.

Now, at times when he sees the double team his motor will get a bit cold.

However, he does work hard from the backside and in pursuit and has been downright unblockable at times this season.

I still have to get a better feel for the kid from a character standpoint, but based on his on the field play alone, if I had to pick the best defensive lineman in the country at this stage, Fairley would be my guy.

Fairley is a FORCE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand