PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Green-Ellis - Why or Why Not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its best that you take your toys and go home.

When some fans are so out of touch that they think they know more than the players and coaching staff its a no win situation. They are always right and if you dont believe that just ask them.
Didnt say I know more than the coaches or players. Didnt say I was always right.
Just said I essentially disagree with all of your views, so it would be counterproductive to discuss. Would you prefer I wrote long posts diagreeing with your point of view, added in some insults and chased you around disageeeing with all your posts?
Figured I would take the high road.

I think that the reality is relatively simple.

A) Green-Ellis will beat out Morris for the #4 RB roster spot, or he won't.

B) Green-Ellis will beat out Williams for a RB/FB/ST roster spot or he won't.

I think Williams got dinged today. So option B may resolve itself.

The problem with option A is that Morris gives you a quality ST guy. Not sure if GE gives us much quality on ST.

Another thing to consider is that it looks like it take GE a longer amount of time from hand off until he hits the LOS than the other backs.

A very epic 19 page re-read.

Happy New Year. :D

There's no way David Patten makes this team.

Benny says happy new year MG & Andy ... :cool:

I was glad to see that I didn't post in this thread. I distinctly remember my opinion of Benny at the time :lol2:

BGJE isn't an unknown, he sucks.

He doesn't suck, he's just an average hard working player. His talent is limited, and he probably has reached his peaked, or pretty near his peak.

I don't call the difference between 6.0 ypc and 4.2 ypc "comparable".

Neither really is the 4.2 ypc in the pros for Maroney vs. the 3.9 for BJGE, especially when you consider it was even lower at 3.7 when Ben had the most carries he's had in a season... a whopping 74.

You've been carrying this torch for a while now. Give it a rest will you?

Feeling stupid now? :rolleyes:

I was looking at Green-Ellis' college stats and he is very comparable to Maroney.

In his very few opportunities in the pros, he has looked strong.

Considering those two points, why shouldn't BJGE get his shot to be the guy this season?

Maroney is stumbling and bumbling through another mediocre-to-average camp.

If it helps our team, why not let Green-Ellis carry the ball 20x a game and see what happens?

Isn't that what pre-season is for?

Maroney

@ Minnesota
-Platooned with Marion Barber for two seasons, and Gary Russell for one season
-Gained 3,933 total yards on 660 carries for a 6.0 YPC
-Scored 32 rushing TDs and 1 recieving TD

Green-Ellis

@ Indiana
-Gained 1,732 total yards on 456 carries for a 3.8 YPC
-Scored 12 rushing TDs, had 1 TD recieving

@ Ole Miss (2006, 2007)
-Gained 2,137 yards on 464 carries for a 4.6 YPC
-Scored 12 rushing TDs, had 1 TD recieving

@ Totals
-Gained 3,869 total yards on 920 carries for a 4.2 YPC
-Scored 24 rushing TDs and 2 recieving TD

I love going thru old threads to see what the outcome was...you win!

He doesn't suck, he's just an average hard working player. His talent is limited, and he probably has reached his peaked, or pretty near his peak.

How is it possible that he's reached his peak? This is only his third year of playing and only his first year being first string- actually excuse me, make that a 3/4 of a season being the starting RB.

I love going thru old threads to see what the outcome was...you win!

Yeah the reason I bumped this thread was it was one of the biggest battles on this forum (Maroney supporters/haters, thoughts on BJGE) during the offseason in 2010 and it ended up being a good laugh in the end. I call this, the fail thread of 2010!

My personal favorites: (this is all in good fun)

We have B-I-N-G-O.

=============================
Originally Posted by Triumph
Taylor missed 10 games in 09 and Morris missed 4. BJGE was kept under wraps for some reason.

We have W-R-O-N-G

You get it! I mean, just imagine the level of suckage of the THREE runners in Dallas.

Well they do suck :D

Why is it that people can not understand that there is a significant difference between average and replacement level? Maroney probably is an average runningback, and thats fine.

BJGE is a replacement level back. Maybe even below replacement level.

Comparing Maroney and BJGE is like saying someone who got a 70 on a test (average) is the same as someone who got a 30 (below replacement level). They're not close to the same, and there's some value to the former.

BJGE is about an 80-85 on a test. Maroney is about a 30. :)

I think its very reasonable to think he could make the roster.
I just think its out there to say so much has changed during the offseason that he has been elevated from barely being allowed on the field in rotation when there was no one else to rotate in, to fighting for the #1 RB job.

He fought and he won. :D

BGJE isn't an unknown, he sucks.

He use to be an unknown that is true.

Yeah, we noticed. That's why nobody's taking you seriously and I wish this thread would die.

BUT IT LIVES!

Last edited:

The same people that told you Patten made the team back then, came back and told you that BJGE would takeover for the injured Taylor after they get rid of Maroney.

Then these same people turned around and told you that after Faulk gets injured a Jets castoff called Woodhead would, along with BJGE, make this running attack a real force!!

Who are these people??

Hint: they work over at Gillette Stadium and they are really, really smart!

what's "talent" at the RB position?

The way the Celebrity Talent Wins Championships philosophy defines it? As extraordinary elusiveness, quickness, and speed?

Or

The way the Everybody Doing Their Job Wins Championships philosophy defines it? As knowing where the holes are likely to be based on the defense is lined up, and dipping into the line to draw the defense in and them moving to the hole they created when they did so, and making sure one doesn't create negative yardage plays? Etc.

Etc.

We keep hoping for a Celebrity Talent back, but very very few of them have the discipline and team orientation to do what BB demands as priorities from his RB's.

Since this week seems to have inspired some to resurrect zombie threads from their corpses, perhaps we should have a poll:

Which is the greater all-time classic thread?

• ILB Adam Seward
  • No way David Patten makes this team

Last edited:
How is it possible that he's reached his peak? This is only his third year of playing and only his first year being first string- actually excuse me, make that a 3/4 of a season being the starting RB.

I don't really think you can expect too much from him, he's a tough runner, but I don't really think you will see him being a premier running back, I think he can be upgraded. He's a good player to have around though.

Green Ellis gets small in the hole. Lo Mo loved to square up to the line of scrimmage. It' a subtlety of Ellis's game, but it is a really instinctual and effective move. Especially for someone who loves to run downhill. His style is perfect for this team, perfect.

Since this week seems to have inspired some to resurrect zombie threads from their corpses, perhaps we should have a poll:

Which is the greater all-time classic thread?

• ILB Adam Seward
  • No way David Patten makes this team

You forgot the instant classic...... "The Worst defense in the history of the world"
Can we move that thing to the practice squad already!!!!!

I started a thread about a year ago predicting Brady would wear belted trench coats and pimp furry boots...but I can't seem to find it. I'm guessing the mod that doesn't let us talk about the WR that shall not be named deposited that thread into the BJGE is a legit starter/ our WRs should be measured in centimeters pile

I don't really think you can expect too much from him, he's a tough runner, but I don't really think you will see him being a premier running back, I think he can be upgraded. He's a good player to have around though.

What do you want, a 2000 yard, 20 TD stud?

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes