PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

great job- the National media has suddenly come around on the Manning "legacy"

Status
Not open for further replies.
NFL.com breaks down Brady v Manning past games. (Harsh for Manning)

Manning vs. Brady Round 15 | NFL.com

Love it.

The truth hurts.

peyton_pout__1290437333_3708.jpg

Re: NFL.com breaks down Brady v Manning past games. (Harsh for Manning)

I love the history, you know it's in Mannings head. ;)

Guess Manning likes to leave his helmet on after a loss. Wonder if he sleeps in it.

So I guess Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer and Jeff Hostetler and Mark Rypien were great QB's and Marino, Fouts and Esiason aren't ? Dumb argument.

Hey, Congrats. Great straw man argument.

Oh,Maybe it is your eyes. Did you see any mention of Dilfer and all before you?

Let me help you out by defending your straw man. I don't know about Fouts and Esiason, but I remember Marino saying, "If I ain't throwin', we ain't goin'." That is a quote of a guy who has to be the man and not sit back as a Ray Lewis carries him - even if it means throwin' an ill advised pick into tight coverage.

(Sorry, no link. This quote was from the Imus in the Morning show long ago before I had internet access.)

So I guess Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer and Jeff Hostetler and Mark Rypien were great QB's and Marino, Fouts and Esiason aren't ? Dumb argument.

Your analogy is severely flawed, having a ring(s) is a necessary but not sufficient criteria to define greatness. It works in conjunction with the rest of a players record.

Marino & Founts would be in the top tier if they had a couple of rings.

Manning has a ton of pressure on him, it's win or bust for his career. He will always have his records but GOAT will be out of reach and he knows it.

Can't wait.

Manning has a ton of pressure on him, it's win or bust for his career. He will always have his records but GOAT will be out of reach and he knows it.

Can't wait.

He won't have those records for longer than 10 years. lol

Your analogy is severely, having a ring(s) is a necessary but not sufficient criteria to define greatness. It works in conjunction with the rest of a players record.

Marino & Founts would be in the top tier if they had a couple of rings.

Depending upon what "top tier" is I would most likely have both in it. My top 5 are as follows:

1) Montana

2) Brady

3) Manning

4) Elway

5) Marino

Fouts would be in the next 10.

Depending upon what "top tier" is I would most likely have both in it. My top 5 are as follows:

1) Montana

2) Brady

3) Manning

4) Elway

5) Marino

Fouts would be in the next 10.

I would replace Elway and Marino with QB's from earlier eras. Unitas, Starr, Staubach would be candidates. Unable to judge Qb's I hadn't seen like Graham & Baugh.

I have Brady and Montana tied for #1 currently

You know, the TV people (on the NFL channel) keep saying that Manning is 6-0 versus teams he lost to earlier in the season. But that can't be correct as he lost to the Patriots twice in 2001 and twice in 2003.

First of all, I don't hate Peyton Manning - anyone who can poke fun at himself the way he did on SNL with the United Way parody is ok in my book.

United Way | Video | Saturday Night Live | NBC

That being said this is a HUGE legacy game for Manning, even more so than for Brady (and I'm not sure Manning's the greatest at handling that type of pressure)

It is MUST WIN for him. If Brady doesn't win, frankly, that's the expectation. The Broncos , despite their losses to injury, don't come close in comparing to the losses/injuries suffered by the Patriots.

If Brady wins and wins the Super Bowl - his legacy is firmly entrenched in the stratosphere - he and Montana become the debate - which is a great incentive for Brady, though I don't think that brings anywhere near the pressure that Manning must be feeling.

And if Manning wins the Super Bowl then he becomes part of a legitimate discussion as to who is better - Manning or Brady (that's not even currently a question, let alone a debate, in my eyes, though I consider both Brady and Manning remarkable players)

But if Manning loses. Damn. Brady beats him and he's definitely second tier to Brady.

Now you KNOW that Manning in particular has given this thought. I gotta wonder if that pressure is going to impact him. I think it's somewhat accepted that he doesn't do well under such pressure.

(In fact, back in 2008 or whatever, I think that's part of the reason the Colts pulled their starters against the Jets in the 2nd to last week of what had been a perfect season - i.e. I don't think the organization felt that he could handle the pressure of the Perfect Season and they preferred having a better chance at the Super Bowl without that pressure.)

So yes, the national media is taking note of distinctions between Brady and Manning's career at this time - and while Tom has a huge incentive, Manning has all the pressure - and it will be interesting to see how he responds.

If I were a betting man I would not put a lot of money on "Manning not choking."

You know, the TV people (on the NFL channel) keep saying that Manning is 6-0 versus teams he lost to earlier in the season. But that can't be correct as he lost to the Patriots twice in 2001 and twice in 2003.

It is since a certain year.

But pats are 4-0 in AFCCGs after a Saturday night playoff win at 8:15 slot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back