PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Great article about James Sanders

Status
Not open for further replies.

STFarmy

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/football/patriots/view.bg?articleid=1046536

Good read. I remember lots of us here being impressed with him two years ago, though that seemed to drop off a bit last year. His resurgence this year is hopefully not an aberration. If he's learning much from Rodney, we all know he can be a key player for years to come. But I would think that, Rodney's my favorite Pat of all time. Anyway, it's a fun little read.

i love hearing stories about how the vets who have only a couple of years left help out the newer guys and they become good....

good job rodney....ur bringing ur replacement to life...

so if sanders plays SS, meriwheather will then be our FS

The moment my eyes opened about James Sanders, was when Rodney was injured in the Pittsburgh game during the 2005 season. The following week, upon going on the IR, Rodney held a press conference with the local media. I forgot exactly what he said, but he spent a good 5-10 minutees extolling James Sanders as someone he felt was going to step in and become a tremendous player. Understand, this was at a time when we had Dexter Reid and a few others at Safety whom Rodney completely ignored in his remarks. He let it be known clearly that he felt that the rookie Sanders was the gem in the bunch.

Understand, this was at a time when we had Dexter Reid and a few others at Safety whom Rodney completely ignored in his remarks. He let it be known clearly that he felt that the rookie Sanders was the gem in the bunch.

I remember that PC as well, but Dexter Reid was no longer on the team at that point. I believe you are thinking of Guss Scott, who actually played decently before going on IR for the second time.

We also had Mike Stone at safety.

I remember that PC as well, but Dexter Reid was no longer on the team at that point. I believe you are thinking of Guss Scott, who actually played decently before going on IR for the second time.

We also had Mike Stone at safety.

Ah, yes. You're right. Guss Scott and Mike Stone. I forget, but I think we had someone else at the time who would've been ahead of Sanders on the depth chart.

It was eye opening how Rodney went on about Sanders back then. #37 can be a very tough judge and doesn't gush about rookies (especially fellow safeties) much at all.

Very nice to see Sanders rise to the occasion and play well as the starter. With Harrison getting longer in the tooth and Wilson regressing this is very welcomed thing. Hopefully Meriweather shows similar progression next year.

Question though. Anyone think it is worthwhile retaining Wilson this off season? I can't imagine Wilson breaking the bank any as a FA .... but I could be wrong.

The Wilson decision will be made after the regular season and the playoffs. Assuming the prospects for health aren't compromised, the Pats will assign a value (not a big one) to him and make the offer. I don't see other teams paying big bucks for the oft-injured safety unless he has a monster playoff run.

Ah, yes. You're right. Guss Scott and Mike Stone. I forget, but I think we had someone else at the time who would've been ahead of Sanders on the depth chart.

It was eye opening how Rodney went on about Sanders back then. #37 can be a very tough judge and doesn't gush about rookies (especially fellow safeties) much at all.
My memory is likewise hazy, but I don't remember anyone else apart from Eugene Wilson. Arturo Freeman hadn't yet been signed (and cut), neither had Artrell Hawkins, and Ventrone was on the PS.

I think the only other "safeties" we had were Chad Scott and Randall Gay, who were both on IR at that time. Maybe Don Davis?

It's been gratifying to watch Sanders develop. BB & Rodney gush about how hard he's worked to improve. The kid just turned 24 this month, and if he keeps it up, he'll be a fine replacement at either safety position when Rodney hangs up his cleats.

Just think, Sanders and Mankins came out the same draft class from Fresno State. Both are huge additions to the team. My son's jersey this Christmas will be # 36.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News