PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Grady Jarrett vs Shaq Mason

patsfaninpa

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
I'm watching the Super Bowl and thinking we're watching one of Manxman's binkies destroy the other. And, almost the Pats hopes. Hope your OK manx?

Grady had the game of his young career last night.

Mason has trouble w/ quicker guys so I wasn't surprised at all. He was punching before moving his feet or just completely flat footed. Was thinking about Lamp a few times. Mason has improved a lot tho and had a great playoffs imho.

Jarrett was in every single mock I made that year (just like their LB Campbell this year). I saw him as what we all wanted Easley to become. Super binkie for sure. Mason was my favorite guard to watch, too. @manxman2601 and I were in lock step on Mason and Jarrett.

I haven't found any guys like that yet this year at DT, but I echo what @BaconGrundleCandy said regarding Lamp.

This game did give me some pause. Is this Jarrett guy just that good and coming into his own or is Mason going to be an issue moving forward and we need to do something about it. We won't know till next year but on the whole this IOL could use another body and competition. I would look in the first 4 rounds to get another guy in to compete at the least.

Mason has to be upgraded there were no holes in the running game his strength and he gets Bull-rushed easily. Good thing we still have Trey Jackson in the fold.

Look, he had a rough game, but mason was playing like a pro bowler in his second year.

He will get better, he will learn. We aren't finding someone better in this draft than him.

Depends how high we pick a guy. I would not look to spend a top pick at OG though as we have bigger fish to fry imo.

Jarrett was in every single mock I made that year (just like their LB Campbell this year). I saw him as what we all wanted Easley to become. Super binkie for sure. Mason was my favorite guard to watch, too. @manxman2601 and I were in lock step on Mason and Jarrett.

I haven't found any guys like that yet this year at DT, but I echo what @BaconGrundleCandy said regarding Lamp.

I loved Jarrett as you say. Would have been happy with him in the first. To this day, I don't understand why he fell to the 5th. As for Mason, just worth bearing in mind, and I think I'm right on this, since the bye week, I believe PFF had Mason/Cannon as the best RG/RT combo in the NFL. One game doesn't erase that.

And I still can't get over how much Cannon has improved his game. Remarkable underrated storyline for the season.

I loved Jarrett as you say. Would have been happy with him in the first. To this day, I don't understand why he fell to the 5th. As for Mason, just worth bearing in mind, and I think I'm right on this, since the bye week, I believe PFF had Mason/Cannon as the best RG/RT combo in the NFL. One game doesn't erase that.

And I still can't get over how much Cannon has improved his game. Remarkable underrated storyline for the season.

I think you could say it was THE storyline of the year. We had a very uneven to poor line last year, and cannons emergence completely changed our teams outlook. Our team looks and plays differently when Brady has his bookends covered.

He totally erased Beasley from the gameplan. For all the pressure Atlanta got last night, Beasley only had one pressure the entire 99 plays. That's domination against a guy who got DPOY votes.

Grady had 3 sacks the entire year so he wasn't exactly tearing it up but hes played very well so far.

Again Mason has trouble with guys like that. Not breaking news.

If Mason can improve in pass pro like he has been he's top 10 G in the league imho. Big if.

Lamp is a guy that could probably start by early next year and offers a ton versatility. Esp in extra/jumbo packages.

Before the game he would have been a luxury pick but that could have very well changed.

Ideally mason should be upgraded. Jackson is jag in my mind.

Mason could be repurposed as the extra o line guy replacing fleming.

And I know Andrews is tremendous at the mental part of the position, but man he did not represent at the Super Bowl last night.

That's a bit harsh. He was the top RG in the NFL for the second half of the season according to PFF.

My opinion of mason last year was that he was a future pro bowl og. However his pass protection skills have not improved. If he could get to just being decent, I could live with that, but if he already at the apex of his ability as a pass protector, we are in trouble, he will get Brady hurt!

The weird thing is that as a pulling OG he is a super mobile killer. Yet in pass protection he forgets to move his feet!

Look, he had a rough game, but mason was playing like a pro bowler in his second year.

He will get better, he will learn. We aren't finding someone better in this draft than him.
yeah, it annoys me that people are trying to act like he is trash now.

My opinion of mason last year was that he was a future pro bowl og. However his pass protection skills have not improved. If he could get to just being decent, I could live with that, but if he already at the apex of his ability as a pass protector, we are in trouble, he will get Brady hurt!

The weird thing is that as a pulling OG he is a super mobile killer. Yet in pass protection he forgets to move his feet!

He gave up 8 sacks on the year according to Doug Kyed's advanced stats and 43 pressures. BUT, 5 of those sacks came before 4th Nov as did 23 pressures. So he improved marginally as the season wore on. His pass blocking is certainly a work in progress, but I'd suggest that a rookie is unlikely to be an improvement. Considering how good his run blocking is, I'd rather give him at least another year and see if he makes further progress still.

What is interesting looking through the year end stats is that David Andrews was our best OL in terms of conceding pressure on Brady (only 3.3% of pass rushing snaps) and Chris Long was our best DL in terms of getting pressure - he just couldn't finish off the sacks.

Martellus Bennett, Eric Rowe Stand Out In Patriots’ Season-End Advanced Stats

Then why did our running game suck the last 2+ months of the season? Gronk's injury? The lack of a young Power Back with explosive legs? Thuney hitting the rookie wall? Andrews lacking the size & power to effectively run-block? All of the above? Other?

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back