2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Grade the 2012 Patriots draft

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Obviously jones and hightower are great picks, but let me tell you, I am so excited about picking up dennard. This kid is going to be a stud, mark my words. Yeah so he has some off field issues and hit a cop, but who hasn't? He'll get his act together and can do wonders for our pass defense. I voted win for the overall draft and I think next season is going to be one hell of a ride.

So really, calling me a troll is just a waste of your time along with everyone else that has to read it.

I wouldn't call you a "troll"...your posts are too shrill...I'd guess "hysteric" is a better description...have to admit though...I admire a man with guts..."Epic Fail"??...that's some day glow paint you used to put that bullseye on your back...

I voted WIN
SOLID B+

but no extra picks next year......WOW.

Damn JimJohns is getting torn to shreds in every thread I look at lmao.

Damn JimJohns is getting torn to shreds in every thread I look at lmao.

Somewhere there is a great Forrest Gump line that would fit here.
Wow, thats 2 Forest Gump references in one day. I need a beer.

Somewhere there is a great Forrest Gump line that would fit here.
Wow, thats 2 Forest Gump references in one day. I need a beer.
"Why don't you love me, Jenny?" ;)

I voted Win. I don't recall ever feeling like we got 3 first round talents before. Plus we got someone we can call the Fonze. Seriously,,,, We now have Fonzy. That's Epicimondoe. I just hope he stays cool.

Your newest New England Patriots:

1a. Chandler Jones
1b. Donta Hightower
2a. Tavon Wilson
3. Jake Bequette
6. Nate Ebner
7a. Alfonzo Dennard
7b. Jeremy Ebert

1a Chandler Jones A
1b Donta' Hightower A+
2 Tavon Wilson F
3 Jake Bequette A
6. Nate Ebner C
7a. Alfonzo Dennard A
7b. Jeremy Ebert B

I voted an overall win. Love the Jones, Hightower, Bequette, Dennard & Ebert picks. I think Jones, Hightower and Bequette all will make an impact this year, and Dennard was rated no lower than a 2nd round pick before his appearance on the police blotter, hopefully he doesn't have to spend a couple of years behind bars. If he avoids that, he's an absolute steal, way better than Tavon Wilson and Nate Ebner. I'm intrigued by Ebner and Ebert, rooting for them to make it. Ebert really intrigued me, but we have so many of that "type" of receiver (slot guys: Welker, Edelman & Gonzales), hard to argue with getting a 75 catch 1,000 yard receiver with 4.38 speed though. Overall, because of the weirdness of the Wilson & Ebner picks, I give this draft a B-.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was ecstatic the other night when we got Hightower having watched him the last couple years play for the Tide- anything the Pats do that makes the Ratbirds and Jests fanbase lose their mofo minds is a great thing :D

Awesome draft! 6 out of 7 picks on defense! BB is a man on a mission! 2 of those picks look like first round studs and will add a lot of talent to the Pats LB core! Can't wait to see these kids in camp and see who brings their A game and is ready to step up and contribute!

I voted epic win but after thinking about it more i say Win. Could have taken a real value pick at at 48, and Jones looks like a project. Wilson i'll have to see it to believe he was worth a second rnd pick. But i love the Jones Hightower Bequette Dennard picks.

I gave it a win, I think a lot of the players selected have high potential, and look like they will buy into the patriot way. I know people are down on Wilson and Ebner, but Wilson seems like a high character guy who does what ever the team needs, he will fit in our system very nicely. As for Ebner, I know a lot of people aren't familiar with Rugby, but this guy is a beast. Check out this video of him and im sure a lot of people will change their minds about him.

Nate Ebner Ohio State 7's - YouTube

he is already very athletic and all we need to do is teach him the system, he may not be a starter for defense this year, but I can definitely see him making a huge impact on special teams, and may break onto the defense next year.

but no extra picks next year......WOW.

Yeah, weird not to have two 1s going in, but the extra picks will come. Hey, Pats went into Friday with only two picks left and made 5.

Via NE Pats Draft.com, here's next year's lineup:
Updated: July 28th, 2011

1st Round
2nd Round
3rd Round
4th Round
7th Round

Picks traded away:

5th Round – (Redskins – Albert Haynesworth)
6th Round – (Bengals – Chad Ochocinco)

1a Chandler Jones A
1b Donta' Hightower A+
2 Tavon Wilson F
3 Jake Bequette A
6. Nate Ebner C
7a. Alfonzo Dennard A
7b. Jeremy Ebert B

I voted an overall win. Love the Jones, Hightower, Bequette, Dennard & Ebert picks. I think Jones, Hightower and Bequette all will make an impact this year, and Dennard was rated no lower than a 2nd round pick before his appearance on the police blotter, hopefully he doesn't have to spend a couple of years behind bars. If he avoids that, he's an absolute steal, way better than Tavon Wilson and Nate Ebner. I'm intrigued by Ebner and Ebert, rooting for them to make it. Ebert really intrigued me, but we have so many of that "type" of receiver (slot guys: Welker, Edelman & Gonzales), hard to argue with getting a 75 catch 1,000 yard receiver with 4.38 speed though. Overall, because of the weirdness of the Wilson & Ebner picks, I give this draft a B-.

My grades:
1a Chandler Jones A
1b Donta' Hightower A
2 Tavon Wilson B
3 Jake Bequette B
6. Nate Ebner C
7a. Alfonzo Dennard F -can't practice in jail
7b. Jeremy Ebert C

I hate the Alfonso Dennard pick - absolutely hate it. It is not a good idea to hit a police officer in the face while resisting arrest outside a bar the week before the draft. Judges frown on defendents who hit public safety officers in the face, usually.

Dennard has Albert Haynesworth written all over him.

Really? Really!

Everybody including the draft expert lemmings is hammering the Tavon Wilson pick. He is a mature, senior leader who quarterbacked a defense in the Big Ten consisting of 2nd-tier recruits because it is Illinois, not OSU. That kid is a character guy which is exactly what the young secondary needs. I think he'll be solid - not great - and bring leadership to a group that needs as much as they can muster. It's a kiddie corps back there.

Of all the picks, I think I like Bequette the best. Another pass rusher who projected a little higher and who was the MVP of his Bowl game - watch the video. Impressive.

Last thought maybe for another place: why do these draftniks put any stock into these all-star games as indicators of what a kid could possibly do in the pros? They are entirely artificial and do not come close to he conditions of a crucial game in the NFL. Bowl games and big rivalry games with something on the line is where tape matters, not mismatches and beauty contest games.

My grades:
1a Chandler Jones A
1b Donta' Hightower A
2 Tavon Wilson B
3 Jake Bequette B
6. Nate Ebner C
7a. Alfonzo Dennard F -can't practice in jail
7b. Jeremy Ebert C

Can't argue with the first two picks. Those two picks alone put the Pats draft into a WIN class.

People here are really high on Bequette. I think the guy is decent and could definitely contribute but is he that good? Bequette fits the Patriots well, although I don't think he's a real threat as a pass rusher, at least not yet.

Dennard is the obvious wild card. If he stays out of jail and puts his mind to football, he's one of the jackpots of the draft. If he doesn't, well, it doesn't hurt the Pats very much. He is a 7th rounder after all.

Last edited:
WIN!

1a Chandler Jones A
1b Donta' Hightower A+
2 Tavon Wilson D
3 Jake Bequette A
6. Nate Ebner D
7a. Alfonzo Dennard A
7b. Jeremy Ebert B

Last edited:
...Last thought maybe for another place: why do these draftniks put any stock into these all-star games as indicators of what a kid could possibly do in the pros? They are entirely artificial and do not come close to he conditions of a crucial game in the NFL. Bowl games and big rivalry games with something on the line is where tape matters, not mismatches and beauty contest games.

Because they are playing the best of the college players at that time.

Last thought maybe for another place: why do these draftniks put any stock into these all-star games as indicators of what a kid could possibly do in the pros? They are entirely artificial and do not come close to he conditions of a crucial game in the NFL. Bowl games and big rivalry games with something on the line is where tape matters, not mismatches and beauty contest games.

Many draftniks and scouts put less stock on the actual all star games but more on the practices prior to the game itself. In fact, many scouts and NFL personnel are known to leave Mobile well before the Senior Bowl game. Scouts and teams have access to all the gametape but they are not always privy to information regarding scheme and assignment on individual plays, or how coachable a prospect is, practice habits, how they react to the higher level of play or how they react to adversity - two very important aspects of adapting to the pro level. Interviews are also carried out and teams can also analyse on and off field character. The coaches at the practices are also looking to put some players in positions and schemes which they did not play in for their college teams to evaluate versatility and scheme fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back