PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

GQ: Goodell must go. Now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Call it delusions of grandeur, or call it a messianic complex coupled with narcissistic tendencies. In the end, it's basically the same thing.

"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men." John Dalberg-Acton. I can't think of many exceptions to this rule, where great power hasn't been a corrupting influence (perhaps George Washington comes the closest to being an exception, he walked away after two presidential terms when he could have become a virtual king or emperor).

It is why we have separation of powers in American government, and a two term presidential limit. Compare the American Presidency with limited powers to the Russia Presidency under Putin with virtually no limits to his power.

Its just not a good idea to give too much power to anyone for too long of a time. Goodell has been emperor of the NFL, a 25 billion dollar a year enterprise, with almost unlimited power (certainly he views it that way), and it has warped him. In a way, it is kind of too bad, you hate to see that happen to anyone.

As you have said Deus, the solution is simple. Increase transparency (of course, any number is greater than zero). Appoint a truly independent arbiter. Problem fixed. However, that would required giving up a bit of power, and that isn't something he can fathom anymore.

Last edited:
As crazy as it sounds, Im not sure if Goodell is the problem. I feel like he's just a limp **** wet blanket so to speak, and removing him and placing another limp **** yes man wouldn't change much.

The whole league office needs an overhaul and it should start with removing any sort former officials from other teams. The league office cannot be comprised of a bunch of guys with agendas and power.

As crazy as it sounds, Im not sure if Goodell is the problem. I feel like he's just a limp **** wet blanket so to speak, and removing him and placing another limp **** yes man wouldn't change much.

The whole league office needs an overhaul and it should start with removing any sort former officials from other teams. The league office cannot be comprised of a bunch of guys with agendas and power.
I think like you do about this.

I think we're seeing some major growing pains and confrontation with modern-day reality in all of these incidents. The NFL has wanted to become the American household and cultural touchstone it has succeeded in becoming, and I think the NFL front office is finally being confronted with the legal, socio-cultural and media realities in ways its never had to be confronted with before. Completely unequipped to identify the issues and respond/act appropriately in light of the media, cultural and legal spotlight they now inhabit.

Really badly worded here - hope my point comes across. Trying to settle our newborn here :p

Last edited:
Are you kidding me? Abusing a position of authority is nothing more than bullying. All bullies are cowards.

Maybe he really is stupid enough to believe his own bullsh*t. But saying he has a backbone is giving him way too much credit. He thought he had the law and public opinion on his side when he decided to pick on a weak target (Kraft). Pretty perverse to construe that as bravery.

Kraft obviously has a backbone, and we've seen it on display many times. He's simply chosen money over principles, of his own accord.

With regards to Kraft, this is a morals issue, not an issue of will.
With regards to Goodell, this is a character issue, not an intelligence issue.

Kraft obviously has a backbone, and we've seen it on display many times. He's simply chosen money over principles, of his own accord.

With regards to Kraft, this is a morals issue, not an issue of will.
With regards to Goodell, this is a character issue, not an intelligence issue.

Agreed, good point. Smart or effective decision making requires not only intelligence, but character qualities such as humility (can you listen to other opinions and occasionally realize they are right?), lack of arrogance (see before), empathy (how will others perceive what you do?), and emotional control (don't be ruled by your emotions). Goodell's decisions have been incredibly stupid. I'm not sure if I think he is the world's most intelligent fellow, but his problems have been character issues, he just can't seem to let his brain be in charge.

I used to know a guy with a photographic memory, very, very intelligent. However, his decisions were unbelievably stupid, he was so arrogant he just couldn't listen to others (with expertise he didn't have) and incorporate other worthwhile input into his decisions. He completely crashed and burned, if he had only a little more humility he could have been a star.

Character aside then. Are Goodell's actions underpinned by some sort of warped yet well meaning delusion? Or is it a lack/flawed underlying system of values?

Ever since Tom passed on the White House visit, things haven't gone well...politically. Of course, there's no connection here...would be like connecting a government agency- which is really a private corporation -to..a "flawed underlying system of values." Regardless of actual connective reasoning here, perhaps, we can all agree: Somebody's dogging Tom (and the team). In fact, they overreached and Judge Berman caught it.

Well, at least we may be witnessing the beginning of needed change:

Owners of NFL teams plan to discuss the possibility of changing Commissioner Roger Goodell’s role in the player disciplinary process, several people familiar with the situation said Friday.

Although it’s uncertain whether Goodell’s authority would be reduced, the decision to reevaluate his role resolving appeals is the first solid sign the outcome of Tom Brady’s court case could have a lasting and significant impact on his position.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-roger-goodells-role-in-disciplinary-process/

Don't confuse backbone with ignorance and arrogance.

Backbone? No. He crumbled under the pressure of Mike Kensil and the owners. If he TRULY had a backbone, he wouldve stood up for what is right. He never publicly corrected the false reports, because he was being pressured by others to go along with this witch hunt. He was doing other peoples dirty work for them. That is NOT someone who has a backbone.

And the same is true of the owners for bringing him in and then allowing him to continue on his merry way.

It is amazing what a good man can do.

The NFL has been fortunate to have had two good Commissioners and a total dud. It remains to be seen how the Owners, through the Management Council, manage to effectively remove him or emasculate him enough, so he is no longer a problem until his term ends.

A good Commissioner would surround himself with good subordinates and not tolerate the Zeroes that RG has hired and listens to for bad advice.

Maybe the Owners will arrange to have Kensil, Pash, Nash, Giardi and others to leave, or elect to not stay, and that might be enough along with redefining the methods of issuing discipline. They have already chartered a man to recommend changes in the Front Office; and it remains to be seen how they empower him to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back