PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gosselin gives Pats' Draft an A

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well its clear now that, as most of us believed, leadership was a huge problem last year.

McCourty, Gronkowski, Spikes, Price and Hernandez were all team captains. Even Cunningham was a captain on occasion. That augurs well for the future if a couple of these guys make it. I'm happy with the Patriots draft, not ecstatic but I like McCourty and Spikes in particular. Gronkowski will be great if he stays fit but I'll have to see that first.

A downside to the draft for me is to do with other another team. The Dolphins did really well in the draft imo. Gosselin gives them a B, I give them an A and I think they are going to be a lot better this season.

Considering how much the experts hated the 2001 and 2003 drafts, I'm inclined to just believe that they're all idiots that don't know wtf they're talking about.

Considering how much the experts hated the 2001 and 2003 drafts, I'm inclined to just believe that they're all idiots that don't know wtf they're talking about.

Well Kiper for me hasn't a clue and they all seem to look up to him. I liked hearing Gruden, he has been there and done that and he went up against Kiper a couple of times.

Fyi Kiper got 10 first round picks right team, right number. Now this guy spent the last three months doing nothing else but studying players and the draft and he only gets 10 right, and thats from his last board on the eve of the draft.

His comments and his letter grades don't seem to line up well.

His comments are too sparse to convey much.

0-value addition to his great work before the draft.

The Ravens definitely did not have as good a draft as people think they did. I know this isn't a Ravens board but I just really disagree with what people have been saying so I'll try to state my opinion here.

Sergio Kindle was probably the best player available but there was absolutely no reason to draft him with 4 DE/OLB guys already on board in Terrell Suggs, Jarret Johnson, Paul Kruger (last year's 2nd round pick), and Antwan Barnes. Their two biggest holes were CB and a 3-4 DE that could generate some pressure, with Trevor Pryce aging and now being a part-time player, and they solved neither of those problems (DE Arthur Jones was a 5th round pick).

Cody was an okay pick because Gregg is aging but Ngata can always play NT full-time. They didn't need a nose tackle as much as they needed a penetrating DE. Of course, their CB situation is a mess and Ozzie didn't draft a single DB.

The fact of the matter is that except for Ray Rice, Ozzie has really struggled in the 2nd round with busts like Chris Chester, Adam Terry, Dan Cody, and Dwan Edwards (2 career regular season sacks in 6 seasons), and with Kindle on the roster, it looks like either Kindle or Kruger, since their positions overlap, will be added to that list.

Balt

Were the Ravens targeting McCourty?

It seems many favorable material has circulated from Raven sources.

It is odd that they traded back with the Boise kid on the board. He seemed to be a darling for an extended period. Since the Jets drafted him, one would figue he must be somewhat Raven style talent.

Re: Gosselin Gives Pats Draft An A

he give the ravens a B the eagels a C and the colts a C

For a draft where it would take effort to screw it up, there were some head-scratchers:

Ravens
They got some nice depth in areas where they were already solid with Kindle (Suggs and J.Johnson), Cody (Gregg) and ****son/Pitta (Heap). Unless some of these guys get released, their picks will start relatively low on the depth chart. Actually a nice situation except that they had real needs going into this draft. Their CBs are average at best, Reed is an injury question mark and the other safeties aren't exceptional (Landry runs hot-n-cold). How could they totally ignore the secondary? Even getting Boldin, their receivers are not a strength. Mason is ancient and the rest aren't scaring anyone (except Flacco). David Reed is OK but was he really a top option on their board? I like the picks just fine but were they optimal for this team?

Bills
Not getting an OT until pick #140 is just bizarre.

Colts
Their draft made no sense. I'm a big Hughes fan but unless they are trading Freeney or Mathis, when is he going to play? When Freeney/Mathis get tired or hurt? Angerer is fine but they just re-signed Brackett. CB was a need but Thomas was a reach and I would be scared putting him on the field early. The rest of their picks looked like they weren't even trying. The only thing more puzzling than their picks are the people giving them high grades.

Steelers
No complaints about Pouncey, but exactly how many LB's do they need? Also, if you are going to get a RB and WR (which were needed), why get guys that are exactly like the ones you already have? E.Sanders = Wallace and Dwyer = Mendelhall.

Last edited:
excited about the draft but A is a reach
B sounds about right

excited about the draft but A is a reach
B sounds about right
You can't rate a draft until 3 years later. It's a futile exercise in filling in newspapers that doesn't really mean much at the time.

You can't rate a draft until 3 years later. It's a futile exercise in filling in newspapers that doesn't really mean much at the time.

Yeah I agree, a lot of these projections that people are making today is all a guessing game, no one knows how these players will fair once they get to training camp and start playing games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back