PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Goodell may award playoff teams extra draft picks who don't rest starters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Goodell is going back asswards. Take away picks from the teams

that sit their regulars in late season games.

You really can't do anything about it. If you try, all you will see are more and more healthy scratches as the season ends. More phantom injuries. Slipped on a banana peel in a house of steel, things of that nature.

Extra draft picks won't help either. Unless there is no more salary cap in the future, then all you're doing is pushing for more and more spending on rookies with a salary cap. If you want it to work, then get rid of the salary cap. Then I can see more teams with an incentive to try to get those picks.

Teams that rest their starters have that luxury because they are the best teams in the league. Yes, give them extra draft picks, that's a good idea

This is parody, not parity

What I wonder about is how would Goodell or any NFL official know if Belichick is faking an injury or illness sort of like saying Brady has the flu but then he goes and starts 99% of regular starters.

Would he not let the Pats have an extra draft pick if99% of starters were there but the main guy was sick? (even if he wasn't and BB was screwing with the system)

So Goodell would be deciding how much players are worth in terms of compensation to the team? That's a decision best left to the franchise, not the commisioner.

I said through arbitration.

Why all this now? Is it because the Texans and Steelers were relying on other teams and lost out? Wh did this concern not come up last year when the Patriots needed a couple of teams to win in order to make the playoffs? If he was so concerned about integrity he wouldn't have moved the Jets game later than the Patriot's game for two years in a row. Last year, the Jets were out of the playoffs so had no incentive to play hard. This year, the Bengals would have known if they were stuck with the third or fourth seed depending on the outcome of the Patriot's game. Bengals still tanked it. If Herr Goodell was that concerned about integrity, he would have all the games that impact each other played at the same time. And ban showing the scores of other games until the games are over.

Omissioner_Clouseau.jpg

Why all this now? Wh did this concern not come up last year when the Patriots needed a couple of teams to win in order to make the playoffs? If he was so concerned about integrity he wouldn't have moved the Jets game later than the Patriot's game.....

You took the words right out of my mouth.

....should the Pats be comp'd some picks for being screwed out of the playoffs since we were relying on a NYJ victory in week 17 and they hopelessly rolled out the corpse of Favre without putting him on the injury list?

Yes. :p

And the "corpse" they rolled out in the Meadowlands should have been flogged like a dead horse. He's "suddenly" came back to life and is rearing his ugly head once again. :rolleyes:

goodell is a POS he has no clue what he is doing.

Goodell can't do anything unilaterally in this regard, it would have to be approved by 75% of the owners. I don't even think he was being fully serious, I think it is just throwing tons of crap against the wall to see what sticks.

Sounds like a lot of smoke that can't go anywhere. No way one can define who is playing competitive and who is not.

I think overall record would be a better starting point, possibly changing the seeding system by not giving division winners the highest seeds. Who knows, its something that I'd love to see happen, but it ain't gonna happen.
I wouldn't be surprised if we see this change. Of course, it wouldn't have mattered during last week's Colts-Jets game, but it would give most playoff bound teams an incentive to keep the pressure up.

Absolutely dumb idea ... rewarding good teams with more picks than bad teams. :bricks:

Also assumes bad teams are trying to win their last games ... what a horrendous concept.

This is an is what it is thing ... nothing should be changed.

If your season is dependent on a team not tanking then you suck too much anyways.

Last edited:
This may be the worst idea in the history of human thought.

Why all this now? Is it because the Texans and Steelers were relying on other teams and lost out?

I thought it was because he was trying to respond to fan outrage over what the Colts did against the Jets.

Either way, it doesn't matter because you guys have pretty well covered why this is a bad idea that just won't work. I'm sure Goodell is just paying lip service to the notion to look like he is doing something.

I thought it was because he was trying to respond to fan outrage over what the Colts did against the Jets.

Either way, it doesn't matter because you guys have pretty well covered why this is a bad idea that just won't work. I'm sure Goodell is just paying lip service to the notion to look like he is doing something.

No, he is that stupid. That's the sad part.

I'm fine with this as long as when the league says "draft picks," they're really saying "cheerleaders" instead. That is to say, the league gives these playoff teams permission to go out of bounds with their own cheerleaders. You aren't just employed to cheer but employed to award your team for not resting their starters when nothing more can come from you winning your remaining games of the schedule.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes