PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Goodell discusses classified military info with P. King; King publishes it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Classified or not, I'd be pissed if I was working a post in the desert somewhere, where there's legitimate danger every minute (and a bunch of my fellow soldiers had just died), and some jackass published our numbers. Numbers which, by the way, added absolutely nothing to the story.

It wasn't classified info when the news stations were televising the police response during the Columbine siege, but it was irresponsible as Hell.

I really don't know what to do with this thread as a moderator.

Having been in the military and having been in Vietnam, I don't think any thing printed here was "classified". Like the NVA and VC, I will guess that the Taliban know exactly where that base is and how many troops are there at given time.

This is not WWII. We are fighting the enemy on the ground that they live on and IN. I don't like Goodell or King but I can't see where they gave anything up to the enemy,IMO. I am glad that they visited the troops, so I give them a tip of the hat.

Now, please keep this thread civil and non-political.

I really don't know what to do with this thread as a moderator.

Having been in the military and having been in Vietnam, I don't think any thing printed here was "classified". Like the NVA and VC, I will guess that the Taliban know exactly where that base is and how many troops are there at given time.

This is not WWII. We are fighting the enemy on the ground that they live on and IN. I don't like Goodell or King but I can't see where they gave anything up to the enemy,IMO. I am glad that they visited the troops, so I give them a tip of the hat.

Now, please keep this thread civil and non-political.

I think that the Germans lived in Europe back then but hey I wasn't there.

As you say Goody's a cretin*, but there's no story here.

* Apologies to any readers from Crete. My bad.

Last edited:
What's Goodell doing in Afghanistan in the first place? The article did say it was a USO tour but I dunno...to me it seems weird. I'd think player appearances would be more exciting to the troops than Roger Goodell, plus didn't he just hire a retired military general (?) to oversee covert NFL Operations or whatever it is he's been hired to do? Goodell's getting to be a bit much:cool:

I think that the Germans lived in Europe back then but hey I wasn't there.

As you say Goody's a cretin, but there's no story here.

Correcto! But we fought the Germans in N. Africa, Italy, France, Holland before we got to Germany. We are fighting these guys where they grew up and live, same as the VC, but not the NVA.

Classified or not, I'd be pissed if I was working a post in the desert somewhere, where there's legitimate danger every minute (and a bunch of my fellow soldiers had just died), and some jackass published our numbers. Numbers which, by the way, added absolutely nothing to the story..

But he didn't publish any "numbers" of value. The article doesn't give staffing levels or anything of real use. On that day there were X on one hill and Y on another. Were they heavy or light inf? Armored? Artillery support?

Tomorrow there could be 40. Or 2. How many hills are there? 2, 3, 4? Which one were they on. Were they dug in, or mobile? Was it a temporary OP or permanent?

Without knowing more details, this information has no tactical value.

What's Goodell doing in Afghanistan in the first place? The article did say it was a USO tour but I dunno...to me it seems weird. I'd think player appearances would be more exciting to the troops than Roger Goodell, plus didn't he just hire a retired military general (?) to oversee covert NFL Operations or whatever it is he's been hired to do? Goodell's getting to be a bit much:cool:

I'm sure the troops would have rather met his wife because she is hawt.

There's no OPSEC violation here.

This thread makes 2 critical errors.

1: That the puppet Goodell actually can process an intelligent thought.

2: That Peter King thinks moe about others than he does himself ... his ego is too huge to worry about troops or anyone else.

Thank you for your service Nut. My brother's done 2 tours in Iraq and he pretty much said what you said- nothing in that story is classified or anything remotely close to it. Interviews like that happen all the time, we just don't hear about them. It's good the NFL as an organization is getting more involved with supporting the troops.

* My brother's only question was, why didn't they send Gisele and Jessica instead:rolleyes:

But he didn't publish any "numbers" of value. The article doesn't give staffing levels or anything of real use. On that day there were X on one hill and Y on another. Were they heavy or light inf? Armored? Artillery support?

Tomorrow there could be 40. Or 2. How many hills are there? 2, 3, 4? Which one were they on. Were they dug in, or mobile? Was it a temporary OP or permanent?

Without knowing more details, this information has no tactical value.

In BMT they taught us that any info at all is too much. We got reamed if we so much as left a scrap of an MRE behind. Anything the enemy knows about you can be used against you. Could it be innocuous? It probably is. But it's still unnecessary, and there is risk involved.

Re: Goodell discusses Classified military info with P. King; King publishes it.

Either something is classified or it isn't, there's no way for two unclassified pieces of information to be automatically classified if combined.
This isn't true. Compilation of data can make it classified.

One example: during the cold war, the sailing date of missile subs was classified. When setting up a trip to sail on one for work, two messages were required. One for which ship would be visited, and one for the date. Putting the two together required a confidential message, a big pain in the butt. Therefore, we always divided the message into two and sent separately.

Fellas, the government doesn't let the public visit the actual bases. These public ones are useful but don't think for a minute that the government doesn't know the people doing the visiting will go and tell other people where they were at. I do recall some fairly specific details of Ben Watson's trip over there posted by Mike Reiss, and I don't see any of you flipping out over it.

Fellas, the government doesn't let the public visit the actual bases. These public ones are useful but don't think for a minute that the government doesn't know the people doing the visiting will go and tell other people where they were at. I do recall some fairly specific details of Ben Watson's trip over there posted by Mike Reiss, and I don't see any of you flipping out over it.

Let me tell you, the government's effing stupid, especially when it comes to base security. When I was stationed at Andrews AFB (home of Air Force One) the policy was that we'd check all IDs and search every vehicle that came on base...unless people wanted to play golf. In that case, we just checked their license and let them go on their merry way...no search, no nothing. It's not like the golf course is right in the middle of the base or anything. Oh, wait, yes it is.

That's just a taste of government ineptitude.

And this was in October of 2001.

Does anyone have friends stationed in either war zone? I can definitely say my former roommate posts stuff 10 times more revealing on a weekly basis on Facebook. Now obviously he gets about 20 visitors not 2,000,000 like SI so I understand the circumstance may differ a bit, but principle is principle. The military should figure out what people can publish and what they can't, educate their own people about the rules, and then educate the celebs that do PR stunts.

Little tangent to this story:

In March or early April, I was listening to Dale and Holley shortly after they had King on. During the interview King talked about his recent visit to Afghanistan. One of the callers commenting on the interview mentioned that he felt King revealed some details about the base(s) he visited that went beyond what the military would want publicly broadcast.

Now, I didn't hear the interview and neither the caller or the hosts wanted to repeat what King had said on the subject. All three did feel that King should have probably been more vague than he was. Even if that information and the what he put in the Goodell article are completely harmless/useless, it would probably be better for King to exercise a little better judgement.

Personally, I am in favor of Goodell performing more dangerous, battlefront missions.

He could bring King and Tomase with him. They should be able to completely hide the troops location behind those two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft