PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Going to Opening Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

NePatriots

PatsFans.com Draftnik
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a question, I recently won a contest and I can attend any opening day NFL game... obviously I'm coming to see the Pats hammer the Chiefs. My question is, I'm from Iowa and I've never been to the Boston area. Where should I stay? What should I do? How early should I go to the game? Anything else?

Mods, please move if in wrong place, I couldn't find a great spot for it.

Last edited:
You need a personal guide, one experienced with the area and the stadium. I am available. What seats do we have?

I've got a question, I recently won a contest and I can attend any opening day NFL game... obviously I'm coming to see the Pats hammer the Chiefs. My question is, I'm from Iowa and I've never been to the Boston area. Where should I stay? What should I do? How early should I go to the game? Anything else?

Greetings from a native Iowan who's had season tickets since '94. Assuming you're flying in, I suggest you rent a car at the airport and find a hotel somewhere off Route 1, Route 95 or Route 495 within under an hour of the stadium. That way you can still see the sites around Boston but be close enough on game day to make it in comfortably. Important: Plan on getting parked at or near the stadium at least two hours before kickoff, meaning you should leave around 10 a.m. from your hotel. Traffic on game day, especially the opener, is horrendous, and you will be crawling along. Plan on making your way to the stadium an hour before kickoff -- lines are long especially on opening day. Be prepared to pay $40-$50 for parking. Those are basic logistics. Feel free to PM me if you have more questions.

Always start with the important info - parking lots open 4 hours before the game....i'd be there 5 hours ahead of time!

you renting a car? I'm assuming yes to get out to the stadium.

You could stay in either Boston or Providence. 35-40 minute ride (no traffic) to the stadium from each place. Gameday, i'd allowed 1:10 ish.

Depending on how long you're going to be in town for, that's where I'd judge where to stay.

IMO, if it's just a fly in, go to the game and fly out, I'd actually try to fly into prov and stay by the airport.

If you're bringing a wife or SO or other people who want to do other things and you're staying for more than a day or 2, I'd stay in boston. If you're looking for a "list" of hotels, that's another post for another day!

Hope this helps. I'm sure others will add/delete/change and give their opinions as well.

Biggest thing, on a day like opening day. 1pm start, be there early enough where you'll get to enjoy a tailgating experience, which means, getting there very eary. it will be worth it.

I'm taking my wife out on Friday Morning, and we're not leaving until Monday afternoon, so we have some time to look around. We're renting a car and want to see the sites and catch some local flavor Friday night and Saturday night.

Hotel suggestions in Boston? I was planning on leaving the hotel at 7am on gameday, but it sounds like maybe a bit earlier depending on where I'm at in Boston...

As an Brittish fan who came all the way over for the game, i'd reccomend the area of Dedham. It's along the I-95 (that's the name, if i remember rightly!) and was slap bang in the middle of the stadium and the city of Boston. The area is quite nice, too.

Last edited:
As an Brittish fan who came all the way over for the game, i'd reccomend the area of Dedham. It's along the I-95 (that's the name, if i remember rightly!) and was slap bang in the middle of the stadium and the city of Boston. The area is quite nice, too.

Where is Brittain located? ;)

NePatriots....check your PM's.

Save yourself a lot of headaches. I flew in for 2 games from Tampa last year.

Fly Southwest into Providence and stay near the airport. You can get a hotel like the Sheraton for cheap on Hotline. Rent a Car at the airport. PVD is a nice small easy to get in & out airport, while Logan is a biatch and the hotels in Boston are $$$$$.

You can also ride the Amtrak Train from Providence Station (or South Station) but it gets there like 30-60 minutes before and leaves 30 minutes after the game so you can't look around too much. I preferred renting a car and being on my own schedule.

If you want to go sight seeing in Boston you can always park at one of the outer T (train/subway) stations (like Braintree) and ride the T into town. Parking in Boston is expensive and driving can be confusing and you can walk or ride the T to all the sights.

Last edited:
Driving in Boston is teh suck, especially for tourists. Two examples:

(1) Directions from an acquaintance: "It's a four-way stop with no right of way. Be bold, and everything will be OK."

(2) As someone I know put it, "If someone tells you to drive the wrong way down a one-way street, you learn to do it, because otherwise, it'll take you an extra 20 minutes to get where you're going." :eek:

Last edited:
I recommended this hotel to someone coming to Boston and they loved it. The Constitution Inn (http://www.constitutioninn.org/) was originally set up to house sailors in the Charlestown Navy yard. You can take a water taxi right from the airport to it. Old Ironsides is one block away. Bunker Hill ("don't shoot til you see the whites of their eyes") is a 5 minute walk. You can see all the sites in Boston with one of the best watering holes (Warren Tavern) and best restaraunts (Figs) right up the street. Rent a car for the game on Sunday beacuse that's the only time you'll need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Back