PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Globe: Law talking directly to Belichick

Status
Not open for further replies.
MoLewisrocks said:
mg - Ty is looking for $5M+ per year. You're talking $7-8M per???? Talk like that could get you a job in the Poston's firm.

Ty is 32, will be 32 all season. The $26M deal we offered him in 2004 was to be for 2004-2007. Ages 30-33. While the cap has gone up dramatically, the player is now 2 years older and coming off a serious injury that (INT's aside) obvioulsy hampered him throughout 2005. We made that offer pre injury and likely with a belief that even if he didn't remain an elite corner by 2007 he could likely evolve into an elite safety. Almost 2 years removed from his injury he has similar potential - because we know he can play well hurt - but we are now talking about playing at ages 32-34. Cap expansion market adjustment aside, that $6.5M per ship has sailed.

I think we do represent the one team that could and might well pay him substantial signing bonus money this year on a 3 year deal because he knows the system, the players, the coaches, they know him and how to use him warts included, we have a need or needs in the defensive backfield and we have cap space. The problem with Ty would be getting a deal done without the Poston's trying to use it to ramp up other interest or using our mere interest to convince Ty to hang tough for another month or two. That strategy ultimately got him his $6.5M in the final analysis last season, though it only worked out that way because the JETS needed to manipulate some cap money late in the season.

If an offer comes from Belioli it will likely be one of those 45 minute take it or leave it deals like the Colts put on the table for Adam. 3/$12-15M with performance incentives to maybe $18M and a $6-7M SB. Perhaps that is what he and BB talked about for part of their reported 4 hour meeting aside from parameters - that if an offer were to be made here it would be accepted or rejected under the radar or if not it would be withdrawn before the ink dried. We have some young corners on the roster - I think BB wants to know pre draft where he stands.

I think there is a lot greater chance of Ty returning this year than there was last year, but I'm still not going to hold my breath because it is Ty and Carl Poston we're talking about. Until he signs somewhere he will always be just a phone call from most any GM away from veering off in another direction where he senses a potential bigger payday. And BB isn't going to play that game with him. Any deal he gets here will be realistic and achievable and not some pie in the sky backloaded deal Ty can and will pound his chest over or throw a hissy over once he cashes his bonus check.

When Ty left Seattle (from whence an offer has yet to emerge) there was a throw away line in Holmgren's comments about how you would need to gauge what the player had left to offer emotionally (given he's got 3 rings) as well as physically as well as what it would take to sign him. I took that, as I think most did, as Mike questioning if a worthwhile deal could be achieved with this particular player given his public demands. Ty on the other hand, I think genuinely, interpreted it as Holmgren acknowledging you have to expect to pay for talent like his. At the end of the day it is hard to deal rationally and professionally with people who even as they listen to you tend to hear what they want to hear. ;)

I'm certainly not taking sides, but Sirius Radio yesterday was talking about Law and the Postens and said that he indeed was asking for $7M per. Now of course, they'll come down from there, but that has been the asking price.

Globe: Law talking directly to Belichick

Is he calling him a liar again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes