PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Glenn Ordway out at WEEI !

Status
Not open for further replies.
EEI spent a lot of time mocking the Bruins and hockey fans in general so when the Bruins became the best team in town again they couldn't be taken seriously with hockey talk. Felger whether he saw the opening, actually really loves hockey, or just because 98.5 is the Bruins flag ship dove in with serious Bruins talk. Then the Bruins win the cup, the Red Sox go in the toilet, the NBA has a lockout, and the Pats are already on 98.5, just killed EEI's ratings. The fact that the Bruins are in beast mode coming out of the NHL lockout didn't help EEI either. I think Ordway is a good radio personality but I can't get over the way he treated Bruins fans, I stopped listening to the Big Show and flipped to 98.5 when that happened. Granted I can only take about an hour or so of Mazz before I tune out, I really enjoy Zolak from 10-2 more than anything on EEI.
You're right about WEEI and hockey and its fans. And now 98.5 does the same, particularly Felger and Zolak, to pro basketball, the Celtics and their fans.

This news is about 3 years overdue. Hopefully, Fatso and Forehead are next, followed by Wolfeman. And someone, please, put the Teacher and Preacher show out of its misery already.

There will be champagne corks 'a-poppin' at the Andelman residence tonight.

No sympathy for the fat guy here, not after listening to 10 years of dancing on Eddie's professional grave, yes Andelman's act got beyond tired but his peak was higher than Ordway's ever was, so what comes around, goes around for the little guy.

As for Salk, I remember him from 890. We can all predict what we are going to get from him: Felger will be his model, no doubt. I would have thought if they wanted a total d-bag to take Ordway's place, they would just have slid in Minehan, but believe me I'm glad that move didn't get made. Get the resume polished up, Curt, if you want to make more than the pittance you get from being Mr. Available at 93.7 FM.

...As for how you measure them. I say Felger and Mazz are far better by any measurement. Not that they are exceptionally good, but that Ordway is that bad. You disagree. Neither of us are right or wrong based on our opinions. The only measurable way to judge them is rating and Felger and Mazz is ratings. And the ratings show that they are more popular and WEEI gets far better ratings when the Big Show is on hiatus for a baseball game.

Given that you were claiming Felger and Mazz to be better when they didn't have better ratings, I'll simply say it again and I'll leave it at that:

You know full well that ratings don't tell you who the better host is.

Given that you were claiming Felger and Mazz to be better when they didn't have better ratings, I'll simply say it again and I'll leave it at that:

You know full well that ratings don't tell you who the better host is.

The better ratings and the better hosts are Felger and Mazz over the Red Sox station aka WEEI.

I'm no Ordway fan but Felger and Mazz are worse - they cannot even do a decent job of playing the foil. That they are on TV helps out big time ... a huge disadvantage for WEEI.

In any case the Big Show has been on the decline since WEEI cut the budget and took Ordway's guests away from him. Ordway was way better at running the show than he was being the show. Every day there was a guest on the show like Fred, Max, a writer ... and sometimes several at once. so it was like a round table and there was vibrant discussion and give and take with the callers.

Mike Holley is likeable and intelligent but he couldn't play the foil if he tried ... and callers like the foil. Back in the day we listened to WEEI for inside scoop and the latest news.

Twitter, slow advertising economy and his guests being taken away from him were the knockouts for Ordway. He didn't antagonize people enough to get the good calls, he lost his guest hosts and WEEI lost the when news breaks you hear it here first.

All you have to know about the current state of Radio is that toucher and Rich are popular. That and what I said above explains it all IMO ... old fashioned sports radio is dead. One more thing ... when was the last time anyone saw Ordway at a game ... people notice these things.

Ordway is a great host - that's what he is ... if a station let's him do the old Big Show gig with the round table of guests they will beat Felger/Mazz and WEEI. As long as Ordway is not the show he can survive and survive well into the future.

Last edited:
You're right about WEEI and hockey and its fans. And now 98.5 does the same, particularly Felger and Zolak, to pro basketball, the Celtics and their fans.

Yeah if I was a serious basketball fan I'm sure it would piss me off. Felger in particular hates the Celtics and doesn't pull punches about it.

A particularly funny moment I recall Ordway talking about was when Johnny Most's pants caught on fire during a Celtics game. Hearing him relate the incident was hysterical.

Ordway says."I was doing color, and I'm sitting next to him, and smelled something burning 'Johnny, do you smell smoke?' He said, 'My pants are on fire.' He was always smoking, and his cigarette had dropped onto his polyester pants, and they'd caught on fire.The fire was right at his crotch, and he poured coffee on it and I helped beat the flame out. It was funny, really. We came back on the air, and neither of us could stop laughing for maybe 45 seconds."

I used to listen to the Big Show on the way home whenever I left early enough to catch it. However, I haven't listened to it once for a good five years or more. Does Butch from the Cape still call in?

As others noted - you used to get unique access - interviews, breaking news, good insight. Now there are too many better alternatives, and WEEI has not done enough to differentiate themselves from places like this, podcasts, ESPN Boston, and other sources. And the act that worked in the past became a parody of itself, unintentionally.

Further, the interviews are not compelling can't-miss radio these days, and not just because of the hosts. Parcells and Grady Little? That's entertainment. Listening to Belichick on Monday, telling us some plays worked well; others not so much; we're just trying to do what's in the best interest of the team? Yeah, I can miss that.

Radio is definitely a tough game right now.

I shed a tear when FNX shut down - that was a huge loss. No whimper here.

I used to listen to the Big Show on the way home whenever I left early enough to catch it. However, I haven't listened to it once for a good five years or more. Does Butch from the Cape still call in?

As others noted - you used to get unique access - interviews, breaking news, good insight. Now there are too many better alternatives, and WEEI has not done enough to differentiate themselves from places like this, podcasts, ESPN Boston, and other sources. And the act that worked in the past became a parody of itself, unintentionally.

Further, the interviews are not compelling can't-miss radio these days, and not just because of the hosts. Parcells and Grady Little? That's entertainment. Listening to Belichick on Monday, telling us some plays worked well; others not so much; we're just trying to do what's in the best interest of the team? Yeah, I can miss that.

Radio is definitely a tough game right now.

I shed a tear when FNX shut down - that was a huge loss. No whimper here.
Butch from the Cape passed away (hopefully, to everlasting damnation) about 10 years ago.

This news is about 3 years overdue. Hopefully, Fatso and Forehead are next, followed by Wolfeman. And someone, please, put the Teacher and Preacher show out of its misery already.

There will be champagne corks 'a-poppin' at the Andelman residence tonight.

No sympathy for the fat guy here, not after listening to 10 years of dancing on Eddie's professional grave, yes Andelman's act got beyond tired but his peak was higher than Ordway's ever was, so what comes around, goes around for the little guy.

As for Salk, I remember him from 890. We can all predict what we are going to get from him: Felger will be his model, no doubt. I would have thought if they wanted a total d-bag to take Ordway's place, they would just have slid in Minehan, but believe me I'm glad that move didn't get made. Get the resume polished up, Curt, if you want to make more than the pittance you get from being Mr. Available at 93.7 FM.

They're pretty much all bad, although I like the football talk from Gresh and Zolak midday on 98.5. Damon Amendelara (sp?) was the best otherwise and he's gone. I hope Ordway's replacement knows something about football. I wish WEEI would dump that idiot Mike Adams at night. He lost me for good a few years ago when he kept screwing up which NFL teams are in which conference. Toucher and Rich, what losers. I've never heard grown men giggle like that before over things that just aren't funny. And most days I'd rather listen to nails on a chalkboard than Tony Massarotti -- how did that guy ever end up on radio?

PFW In Progress podcast.

All Patriots, all year long, minimal commercials, and a wider variety of more knowledgeable hosts.

I don't know how anyone can stand to listen to Felger and company every day. Touch and Rich MAYBE, everyone else is actually offensive to my ears and intellect.

I'd rather listen to one of you guys talk.

...now there's an idea :D

PFW In Progress podcast.

All Patriots, all year long, minimal commercials, and a wider variety of more knowledgeable hosts.

I don't know how anyone can stand to listen to Felger and company every day. Touch and Rich MAYBE, everyone else is actually offensive to my ears and intellect.

I'd rather listen to one of you guys talk.

...now there's an idea :D

Brady FTW! used to do podcasts, but I haven't seen him announce one of them in a long time.

Can't say I'm surprised. I just keep it on because I don't get 98.5 out here in North Central Connecticut. Still, I will sometimes leave it on the ESPN affiliate we just got to get more wide-ranging coverage apart from Boston.

Agree that there's too much 'non-sports' sports talk on EEI and it's ilk. If I want to hear gossip, which I don't, there's lots of better outlets for that stuff.

D&C in particular suck. Do they ever get to sports? I don't know, I switch it off pretty quickly when Callahan in particular opens his trap.

It seems pretty much all radio in the morning is gossip and jabber. As others say, it's a good time to put on my own music or a podcast.

Kinda funny the Big O is getting the boot and EEI is falling on its face just as they finally have a signal that one can stand to listen to.

No need to feel sorry for O - he's got a quarter century of decent paychecks to fall back on, presuming the man was living within his means and putting some away for the future.

Obviously, Ordway isn't a far better host because he didn't get the ratings. Radio hosts are measured on ratings and Ordway doesn't have them.

If this was still 1999, Ordway would be a far better host. His act is old and tired. Talking over callers and other hosts, putting on moronic caller just to make yourself look smarter, endless beating to death low hanging fruit topics, and his general smugness is not what people want anymore. He literally has become Eddie Andelman.

I seriously doubt Ordway could be successful in most markets today. His style of radio is outdated. He is best off moving to the west coast of Florida and working on a radio station there where the audience skews far older.

On the topic of low hanging fruit, will WEEI in general ever learn that most people don't want to hear days on these "hot button" topics of non-sports related sports issues. That is a huge reason why they are getting creamed in the ratings. 98.5 for all their warts don't really beat topics to death.

BTW, Felger and Mazz do a lot things very well. They keep the show moving. They don't beat topics to death. They keep the grab arse to a minimum. They get rid of a lot of boring banter between hosts and callers that are boring to anyone other than the host and caller. If a caller has a complete diametric opinion, they don't berate or belittle them and do debate civilly. You might not like their opinions (I don't a lot of the time), but from a pure radio host standpoint, they do a pretty good job.

I think we are all missing the point on what we had here with Ordway and WEEI. Yes, they have lost their way a bit a few years back and lost touch with the viewership. I think, of late, they have actually done a great job. Ratings and good sports radio don't go hand in hand, especially in this town of late. For christ sakes, 98.5 has two music junkeys and a re-tread flash boy who does nothing but annoyingly laugh at their every word. I'm not the biggest D&C fan, but it's pathetic that the listenership in this town gravitates towards Toucher and Rich. That's not sports radio.

Quite simply, Ordway is a legend in this town when it comes to sports. The sports media in this town is not the same without him.

And 98.5 doesn't beat topics to death? They don't talk over callers? They don't put on moronic callers? They aren't "smug" and arrogant? Have you heard Felger speak? You must be listening to the classical music station on 99.5 if that's what your hearing.

They're pretty much all bad, although I like the football talk from Gresh and Zolak midday on 98.5. Damon Amendelara (sp?) was the best otherwise and he's gone. I hope Ordway's replacement knows something about football. I wish WEEI would dump that idiot Mike Adams at night. He lost me for good a few years ago when he kept screwing up which NFL teams are in which conference. Toucher and Rich, what losers. I've never heard grown men giggle like that before over things that just aren't funny. And most days I'd rather listen to nails on a chalkboard than Tony Massarotti -- how did that guy ever end up on radio?

I agree with those sentiments 100%.

IMO, WEEI was and is too married to the Red Sox. I find them to be too busy to be carry the corporate flag for the team to be taken seriously. I find the station to generally not be objective on the Red Sox coverage, and that made me switch to The Hub. I like Gresh and Zo during football season, but that's pretty much it. Felger's "i hate everything" smacks too much of Don imus, who I also do not listen too. I do like him when he's not thundering on about how much he hates the topic du jour. Mazz is awful. and he's part of the good ol' boy club.

In regards to Ordway, I can't say that I was a long time listener. I hated how he and his co-hosts (prior to Holley) talked over each other and the callers. Too much of the good ol' boys club as well. I really hope the new guy is better, because I'd love to bail on Felger and Mazz.

Long overdue. Before 98.5 come on the air WEEI was the only sports station on Boston (beside 1510 the zone when it was on the air was not very competitive) Big O has always been loud, obnoxious, host who constantly talks over the listeners with his know it all attitude. When you're the only game in town that will fly with the listeners. When people have the choice they will switch. I don't agree with everything Felger said but I enjoy listening to him. 98.5 is just a better station.

Lastly WEEI has too much red sox talk.

Here is the run down of what the talk about all year.

January-April: Red sox training camp talk. More talk about the upcoming season.

May-September: Red sox talk. All day every day.

October-December: Talk about the previous season, what they can do this off season, take calls from the listeners about their half baked red sox trades and signings.

First, every afternoon drive host is loud and obnoxious. This new guy is no different. Second, 98.5 was just in the right place at the right time. They own the rights to the two most popular teams in town right now, the B's and Pats. Simple as that really. They found hosts with good chemistry but I really think its mostly due to the B's and Pats. 98.5 emerged when the bruins had their run and since, have dominated. 98.5 took that and ran with it. WEEI was late to the bruins party and suffered for it. Case and point: the celtics last Spring. 98.5 almost fell into the same trap as WEEI with the bruins. WEEI owned the ratings during the Celtics magical playoff run. The Red Sox, however, had their worst season in a decade and 98.5 capitalized on that by just bashing the crap out of everything related to the Red Sox. Had the Red Sox gotten to the postseason and made a run for it last year rather than collasping, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

I really hope the new guy is better, because I'd love to bail on Felger and Mazz.

Amen to that. Felger can be thoughtful at times -- and would be WAY much better than he is -- if he'd just temper the negativity and compulsion to stir the pot. Massarotti is an insufferable, smarmy wimp, whose voice is impossible to take for more than a few minutes. For guys in their forties neither one is very mature.

Amen to that. Felger can be thoughtful at times -- and would be WAY much better than he is -- if he'd just temper the negativity and compulsion to stir the pot. Massarotti is an insufferable, smarmy wimp, whose voice is impossible to take for more than a few minutes. For guys in their forties neither one is very mature.

Felger has a knack for getting people that don't even listen to him, to discuss the things he says on his show. We've seen it happen here. His execs must love him. I started listening to the 98.5 morning show when it debuted. At first it was kind of enjoyable because it was different. Now I find Name Dropper and Giggles to be totally unlistenable. Recently I've gone back to Mr. Potato Head and Charlie Brown. I can't stand the way that Dennis stumbles and says, "and, and, and..." or "if, if, if, if..." He's supposed to be a pro. Both of those guys are losers. The morning slot is there for the taking with the right lineup by WEEI. Unfortunately that station should be called W WE BE HIGH. They don't get it. Maybe local sports talk radio is just not as successful as it used to be no matter who's plugged in. I listen to very little of it and prefer a national theme.

First of all where did this theory that they dont let hosts on the air after they've been fired, they do it all the time, they let Dale Arnold go on the air after he was fired and just because we learned that the big O was fired today doesnt mean that he hasnt known for a few days or longer. I missed the show today because I just came back from vacation, I would have listened just to hear hwat he had to say but I doubt he said anything controversial, these guys are professionals and if they want to stay in the business they have to act professional.
Felger and Mazz dont beat a dead horse? These guys are the kings of beating a dead horse, hell they did a week on Randy Moss, I find Felger entertaining (I know its an act) and Mazz a lazy boor but after 2 days of beating the same topic I usually turn to music.
The Big O had his day but like Eddie Andelman, his day has passed, hope this new guy is more entertaining that the old guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Back