PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Glad Asante Samuel holds no grudges...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Glad Assante Samual holds no grudges...

Yup, he choked that game away all by himself. The offense had absolutely nothing to do with that loss. It's not like we scored 38 points against that same vaunted Giants defense weeks earlier. In New York. And in the cold.

Yup, thanks for agreeing with me. He got lazy and lacksadaisical and indeed he choked. Twice.

Actually, I've noted some things about playing for the Patriots in the past, just as I've noted some upsides. Both will exist in pretty much any situation, and many of them will be simply a matter of perspective. One man's trash, and all that.

I would rather have a coach who's secure enough in his position that he doesn't feel the need to force the players to all speak in the same boring manner in front of the media. I'd rather have a coach who didn't view every question in an interview as something to be feared if it gets even remotely personal/team oriented. Not every player on every team is "great", "one of the best", etc...., and I'd rather have a coach who can discuss a game without pretending that's not the case. I'd rather have a coach who didn't overreact to weather-induced tardiness. I'd rather have a coach who didn't fall into the "5 minutes early is late" category of absolute nonsense.

The thing is, I'd like Belichick to be that coach. He's got a tremendous head for the game, and as close to a lifetime pass as any coach is going to get. He doesn't need to rely on that other garbage at this point.

That's my opinion, and we just see it differently, apparently.

you really hae an issue with the way he addresses the media ? his press conf have more football and game knowledge then any thing else. he is careful not to blame a single player ever just like doesnt credit 1 player. Vrabel once said that BB doesnt praise you publicly but doesnt kill you openly in the media as well and he like that. Seriously , his press conferences have lot more football knowlegde than people care. but people want to know if he thinks the other team sucks or not.
about the weather induced tardiness or whatever...i disagree as well.according to people he told evryone to come in early and leave late because this is the crunch season and people show up late to work when the guy who had a baby came in early. Ty warren said he himself has been late a few times but this was a wrong week to make that mistake. he isnt some kinda hitler who sends people home everytime they are late . He made a point monday and 4 guys didnt get it so they get sent home. And that to he never discusses publicly like a rex ryan. Everone has adifferent personality and they dont change .i only care if he can win us some games.if you think he relies on other garbage then its just his personality...some bad with good although that bad is purely subjective. We can take anice media guy like wade phillips or rex ryan if that is the huge issue.

Sure wish we still had him...

Maybe he should be more worried about the Eagles giving up 600 yards to the Giants and his tackling technique, I am sure Eagle fans are happy that he is thinking about another teams locker room.

It probably took him about 5 seconds to answer the question. If Eagles fans can't handle that, they need to stop following sports. Players eat, drink, drive, spend time with their families, and all sorts of things besides studying film and worrying about technique. The Patriots lost to the Dolphins the week before last. Were you berating Brady for taking time out of his worrying over that game to go on the radio?

I would rather have a coach who's secure enough in his position that he doesn't feel the need to force the players to all speak in the same boring manner in front of the media. I'd rather have a coach who didn't view every question in an interview as something to be feared if it gets even remotely personal/team oriented. Not every player on every team is "great", "one of the best", etc...., and I'd rather have a coach who can discuss a game without pretending that's not the case.

Apparently the game starts with the press conference.

Those sound like excellent things that owners should bring up in interviews of potential head coaches. "Let's skip the football side of the interview. I want to know how satisfied the press and fans will be with your press conferences."

I'd rather have a coach who didn't fall into the "5 minutes early is late" category of absolute nonsense.

Actually it's if you are on time to a meeting, you are five minutes late.

I quote Tom Coughlin for that where I work. 8am meeting starts at 8am. You are not walking in - we aren't getting settled. That is all done before 8am. Meeting starts at 8am. My boss loves it. And at 8am, I'm at the conference table ready for the meeting to start along with all the other professionals. Not nonsense - common sense.

My boss loves it. And at 8am, I'm at the conference table ready for the meeting to start along with all the other professionals. Not nonsense - common sense.

Careful you don't pierce his colon with your nose

Don't worry, we're involved in work-related topics. Try it sometime. Or show up late.

Really Jangles, - that's what you add to this? Yeah, I corrected Deus' meeting comment and that's what you contribute?

Key words - professional, common sense. They work wonders sometimes. Even in gaming.

Or did I miss some subtle commentary on your part about Asante Samuel or BB's relationship with players? Nah.

Last edited:

Apparently the game starts with the press conference.

Those sound like excellent things that owners should bring up in interviews of potential head coaches. "Let's skip the football side of the interview. I want to know how satisfied the press and fans will be with your press conferences."

When did it become impossible to both excel at coaching and have those other qualities I listed?

Actually it's if you are on time to a meeting, you are five minutes late.

I quote Tom Coughlin for that where I work. 8am meeting starts at 8am. You are not walking in - we aren't getting settled. That is all done before 8am. Meeting starts at 8am. My boss loves it. And at 8am, I'm at the conference table ready for the meeting to start along with all the other professionals. Not nonsense - common sense.

If a meeting starts at 8 and people are there at 8, they are on time. If you want people there at 7:55, you tell them to be there at 7:55. It's really quite simple. 5 minutes early is not late, and it's not on time. It's 5 minutes early.

Last edited:

When did it become impossible to both excel at coaching and be personable?

Don't know. Who said it was impossible? But more to the point, why is it really important? I'm not as interested as you in a coach pleasing the media and fans with information. Charlie Weis acts like a jerk - loser. Bobby Knight acts like a jerk - winner. Tony Dungy acts like a nice guy - winner. Peter Carroll acts like a nice guy - loser then winner. I'm just not interested in whether a coach is personable.

If a meeting starts at 8 and people are there at 8, they are on time. If you want people there at 7:55, you tell them to be there at 7:55. It's really quite simple. 5 minutes early is not late, and it's not on time. It's 5 minutes early.

Again, you don't understand the actual idea. I know the idea from following Coughlin's career. I assume it probably comes from Parcells. It's 5 minutes early is on time. How? That means you are ready - in your seat, etc. You're not getting there at 8am.

You're right. It's simple. For a meeting to start on time, people are ready beforehand. Ever notice how players are set before the clock starts? Getting there early means they are on time for the play. Simple

I don't think so, the interceptions do not make up for the failed gambles IMO. At least not for that price.

whenever i start to think like that, i just ask myself one question: would we or would we not have been a better team this year and last with Asante? If I'm honest with myself, I can only answer that we would be a better team with him.

Samuel supports Thomas

BostonHerald.com - Blogs: Rap Sheet

Looks like Samuel wants MORE Pats to speak out..since most fans see Thomas for what he is..I wonder if those who wished to keep Samuel here have second thoughts about that??
I really am not surprised by that..and Samuel, like others should STFU!!Thought he was overrated then and glad he is gone..Just another cancer not with the team. Maybe his attitude was one of the factors in why he has been gone.

Re: Samuel supports Thomas

I know...and my pc was not working so I just found that out...and can't even delete this.. :(

But, again, Samuel's level of play does not disqualify him from discussing the Patriots locker room. For that matter, whether or not others considered him a leader in that locker room doesn't, either. And his desire to get money doesn't, either.

That's his quote. His level of play, level of leadership, hunger for money.... none of those things disqualify his comments.

Yeah, his opinion is one of value. You are so right.

They don't call him ***-ante for nothing. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Re: Samuel supports Thomas

your pc "was not working" to the point where you couldnt read the list of posts but could still post a new post?

doubtful :p

whenever i start to think like that, i just ask myself one question: would we or would we not have been a better team this year and last with Asante? If I'm honest with myself, I can only answer that we would be a better team with him.

Sure if you throw out the cap, and his me attitude. Then you start sacrificing other parts of the team so that you can have a guy that will ring in a few interceptions by jumping routes, but yet will allow some big plays as well because of it.

You can't be serious.

What kind of business are you in that you can be late to meetings?

Are you joking?

Why be so pedantic. It's a figure of speech. I'm sure Belichick would not fine them if they are there at 7:59. People say that because it's the way things work. You need to be there at 7:55 if the meeting starts at 8.

Why? Because everyone's watch is a minute or two off (even my computer's time lags). Because you need to use the urinal right before the meeting, especially in the morning after your second cup of joe. Because you need to grab a bottle of water, etc.

I would rather have a coach who's secure enough in his position that he doesn't feel the need to force the players to all speak in the same boring manner in front of the media. I'd rather have a coach who didn't view every question in an interview as something to be feared if it gets even remotely personal/team oriented. Not every player on every team is "great", "one of the best", etc...., and I'd rather have a coach who can discuss a game without pretending that's not the case. I'd rather have a coach who didn't overreact to weather-induced tardiness. I'd rather have a coach who didn't fall into the "5 minutes early is late" category of absolute nonsense.

The thing is, I'd like Belichick to be that coach. He's got a tremendous head for the game, and as close to a lifetime pass as any coach is going to get. He doesn't need to rely on that other garbage at this point.

That's my opinion, and we just see it differently, apparently.

I typically see you as a sensible person but this just seems to be naive. I can an undertand that you wish your coach was all those things, but the reality he is not. Just like I wish my wife was a supermodel who made millions, the reality is she isn't and I have to come to grips with that. BB will be the coach of the Patriots for the forseeable future. He's earned that by being one of the top coaches for nearly a decade. He is not going anywhere. He is also not going to change. He is who he is and he will run his ship the way he always has. And why shouldn't he? He's had tremendous success doing it like that. Good or bad, right or wrong, this is the stuff he does. It isn't going to change. As such, if it bothers you that badly, you really have two choices: Come to grips with the reality of who the coach is or root for a team with a coach that has those qualities you want. Because the constant nitpicking about these little things is like the little kid that just received the most wonderful Christmas present but is still upset because he wanted it in blue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft