PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Giants TE Issues and Osi; should Pats offer Hernandez to NYG for Osi?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Giants TE Issues and Osi

I think our cap # is probably making any Osi signing prohibitive anyway, but I see that they lost Kevin Boss to free agency and Ben Patrick to retirement. Hernandez might be good trade bait? No as a straight up trade, but along with a 4th or 5th rounder.

Please put the pipe down and step away. Trade a young hybrid TE with a rare skillset for a often injured 30 year old DL and a pick? I don't typically respond or give grief to folks you start these "what if" threads, but this one is just ridiculous.

Last edited:

Please put the pipe down and step away. Trade a young hybrid TE with a rare skillset for a often injured 30 year old DL and a pick? I don't typically respond or give grief to folks you start these "what if" threads, but this one is just ridiculous.
I'd love Osi on the Patriots as I believe he'd wreak havoc behind the defensive line BB has put together, especially with the veteran signing of Ellis. However, there's a core group of young players on the Patriots who have Pro Ball and All Pro potential. Aaron Hernandez is one of those players.

Last edited:

Trading Welker at least makes sense. With two WRs better than him on the roster and two TEs as an important part of the offense, his playing time is going to go way down. He's 30, and he's in the last year of his contract.

Hernandez, on the other hand, looks to see his playing time go way up. He's one of the premiere receivers out of the TE position, and teams will have to worry about Gronkowski too.

Trading Welker at least makes sense. With two WRs better than him on the roster and two TEs as an important part of the offense, his playing time is going to go way down. He's 30, and he's in the last year of his contract.

Really?!?! What two receivers are clearly better than him? Ochocinco- at this point in his career, maybe. Branch- don't think so. Tate, Edelman, Price or Slater- clearly no. Trading Welker would be ridiculous

Hernandez, on the other hand, looks to see his playing time go way up. He's one of the premiere receivers out of the TE position, and teams will have to worry about Gronkowski too.
Trading Welker makes little to no sense to me Sciz. I know your reasoning behind it, I just don't agree with it.

Really?!?! What two receivers are clearly better than him? Ochocinco- at this point in his career, maybe. Branch- don't think so. Tate, Edelman, Price or Slater- clearly no. Trading Welker would be ridiculous

Branch out-produced Welker last season from weeks 6-16, 706 yards and 5 TDs to 631 yards and 4 TDs. And even when Welker did produce, it was only when there was 1 TE on the field, and Brady is god with 2 TEs on the field.

COUPLE OF THOUGHTS:

1) There are currently no receivers on the NE Pats that are better than Wes Welker at the moment.

2) Hernandez potential could go through the roof if our OC ever learns to utilize our TE's to their maximum.

3) Osi's potential is headed in the opposite direction and his current injury history doesn't look great.

4) No matter how much we like and admire the job that BB is doing, to say that he can't be questioned is absurd, There are people out there that could have made much better decisions in certain instances. (The way he handled SpyGate and holding on to Maroney as long as he did).

Last edited by a moderator:

ATTENTION....I did not also start the trade Welker thread...THANK YOU.

That being said...I think OU is still a premier pass rusher. To get something of value, you usually have to give up something of value. I'd love for them to take Ross Ventrone and a couple of kicking tees. The guy is worth at least a second rounder. What would Hernandez be worth out in the open market?

I don't think I'm too far off the mark.

ATTENTION....I did not also start the trade Welker thread...THANK YOU.

That being said...I think OU is still a premier pass rusher. To get something of value, you usually have to give up something of value. I'd love for them to take Ross Ventrone and a couple of kicking tees. The guy is worth at least a second rounder. What would Hernandez be worth out in the open market?

I don't think I'm too far off the mark.

I would hate the trade. There's no question that Osi would upgrade the defense but it would be a horrible time to trade Hernandez.

If both he and Gronk were going into the final year of their contracts and it was obvious that we couldn't keep both, (much like Seymour and Wilfork) I would at least consider the trade but even then it would be tough for me.

He just has too much upside, and besides some injury issues, has shown us no reason to believe we won't see that upside come through.

I would not trade Hernandez. Makes no sense really.

COUPLE OF THOUGHTS:

1) There are currently no receivers on the NE Pats that are better than Wes Welker at the moment.

2) Hernandez potential could go through the roof if our OC ever learns to utilize our TE's to their maximum.

3) Osi's potential is headed in the opposite direction and his current injury history doesn't look great.

4) No matter how much we like and admire the job that BB is doing, to say that he can't be questioned is absurd, There are people out there that could have made much better decisions in certain instances. (The way he handled SpyGate and holding on to Maroney as long as he did).

We fought WWII because a whole country said "In AH we Trust."

This and to get Osi, you have to immediatley give him an extension for 10 mil per or he'll have a bum knee. He's basically in a no win situation and the Giants are ready to rot him for two years. Kinda what the Bungles are doing to Palmer.

I say we trade Brady... dude ??? r u serious about trading 1 of our most productive weapons :bricks::bricks::bricks: my goodness

Didnt you start a trade Welker thread last week?

Good call that was "TheSolderKing" who started the Welker trade thread that was like 97% NO to 3% Yes.

I think our cap # is probably making any Osi signing prohibitive anyway, but I see that they lost Kevin Boss to free agency and Ben Patrick to retirement. Hernandez might be good trade bait? No as a straight up trade, but along with a 4th or 5th rounder.
Take 2 and go to bed...

2 problems I see with that are...

1. I don't think the Pats have the money to sign him to a deal he would be happy with, nor do I think they would want to lock him up long term, he will be 30 this year.

2. The Giants Offense needs a TE who can do it all like a Gronk, Hernandez would have a place in any offense, but he doesn't fill the hole the Giants would be looking for.

we are not trading arron hernandez for anyone period... osi wont be coming here with ellis and henderson now... still a small chance for roth...

I think instead of the 4th rounder, we should throw in Gronkowski. Of course, we need to free up cap room since Osi wants a new contract bigger than Johnson's johnson at $12 mil a year, so maybe we can unload Mankins to someone.

we are not trading arron hernandez for anyone period... osi wont be coming here with ellis and henderson now... still a small chance for roth...[/QUOT

Ricky, Devery or John?

To get something of value, you usually have to give up something of value.
No, not if you draft a valuable player or sign a valuable free agent. Trading something of value, player or pick, for the right to pay a guy $12 mil a year is numb.

As it is right now with the addition of Ellis amongst the others we are preseason favorites? 14-2 last year and now a possible better roster if BB and the players can mesh together and ball it up. I don't think we need him but every bit of help counts.

If they were to get Osi it's not gonna come by throwing them Wilhite and a 4th. They are smarter than that, just like we aren't going to be giving them Hernandez anytime soon when he has still got a great cap number and is highly productive. I would assume the scenario would be someone like Merriweather like a few have said. Close to free agency as is Osi. The agreement would be stringent upon the agreement that he work for us his current contract for one season and we will release him from our service the day after the super bowl we win so he can become a free agent.

There would have to be contingencies in the contract ofcourse. Play this many snaps and the deal becomes a pact. Maybe throw in a roster bonus at the end of the regular season.
There's ways around the money if both parties are able and willing. In Osi's case he would have to feel so betrayed that he would be obliged to take this type of offer. In our case we would have to feel completely comfortable that someone could fill Merriweathers role on this team.

Like I said though. If we get him we get him. I'm confident either way. New stars rise out of the ashes every season, there may be one on our roster just waiting to rise? Who knows?

The Sciz-Welker thing is fast approaching the level of DW Toys-Sanders in both silliness and tenacity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call