PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Uncle Heatster's Final Two Round Mock: McClellin, Reyes, Brendan Boykin, Marvin Jones

Status
Not open for further replies.

dryheat44

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Borrowing heavily from last week, but refining things a bit:

1 Indianapolis - Andrew Luck QB Stanford

2 Washington - Robert Griffin QB Baylor

3 Minnesota - Ryan Kalil OT USC I think the Vikings would love to trade back and take Claiborne, but I don't see any of the next couple of teams being eager to
trade up, and I don't think Minnesota wants to trade back any furthur than 6. In the end, they can't talk themselves into Claiborne here. Kalil's the pick, the rest is smoke.

4 Cleveland - Trent Richardson RB Alabama. Again, I think they'd prefer to trade back, but will be unable to.

5 Tampa Bay - Morris Claiborne CB LSU. A no-brainer if the draft works out this way.

6 St. Louis - Will Blackmon WR Oklahoma St

7 Jacksonville - Trade. For all Miami's bluster, it is worth the piece of mind to give Jacksonville a 5th round pick in order to move up one spot and guarantee they get Ryan Tannehill QB Texas A&M.

8 Jacksonville (from Miami) Trade. Jacksonville trades #8 and their brand spankin' new 5th round pick to Dallas for #15 and #45. Dallas selects Mark Barron S Alabama.

9 Carolina - Michael Floyd WR Notre Dame

10 Buffalo - Since they can't get Kalil, they'll take Luke Kuechley LB Boston College and worry about OT later.

11 Kansas City - David DeCastro G Stanford

12 Seattle - Quinton Coples DE North Carolina

13 Arizona - Fletcher Cox DL Mississippi St

14 Jacksonville (from Dallas) - Stephon Gilmore CB South Carolina

15 Philadelphia - Melvin Ingram DE South Carolina

16 NY Jets - Dontari Poe NT Memphis

17 Cincinnati (from Oakland) - Cordy Glenn G Georgia.

18 San Diego - The Chargers have needs everywhere, and can take the best player available here. Who is that? For the system they run, probably Courtney Upshaw LB Alabama.

19 Chicago - Reilly Reiff OT Iowa. He's slipped a bit. Good for the Bears.

20 Tennessee - Michael Brockers DL LSU

21 Cincinnati - Janoris Jenkins CB North Alabama. Marvin Lewis never met a lost soul he didn't think he could reclaim.

22 Cleveland (from Atlanta) - The Browns need to find out if McCoy is legit. The way to do that is to get him some help. First was Richardson, now it's Stephen Hill WR Georgia Tech.

23 Detroit - Trade with Houston. Houston gets Donta Hightower LB Alabama before Pittsburgh does. Detroit gets #26 and other considerations that don't matter
in a 2-round mock. Let's say Houston's two 4th rounders go to Detroit in the swap.

24 Pittsburgh - Mike Adams OT Ohio St.

25 Denver - Peter Konz C Wisconsin. The Broncos are a center away from having a dominant OL. Fox and Manning seem like guys who would want that.

26 Detroit (from Houston) - Dre' Kirkpatrick CB Alabama

27 New England (from New Orleans) Well, who you got? The choice of Mercilus, Perry, and McClellin is here. Or would you rather go for Still or Worthy? Or Wright? Because Mercilus, McClellin, and Perry are all still available, Belichick could trade down. Buffalo didn't have enough juice to get Kalil, but they certainly have enough to trade into here and get the LT they really need. Buffalo trades #41 and a 2013 2nd rounder for #27 and selects Jon Martin OT Stanford

28 Green Bay - Whitney Mercilus LB Illinois

29 Baltimore - The Ravens have some critical needs along the O-line and at linebacker and in an ideal world would like to trade back for some more picks, but I don't see that happening. We'll give them Chandler Jones LB Syracuse here to play with his brother Arthur.

30 San Francisco - Kevin Zeitler G Wisconsin

31 New England - Here's a thought exercise. Tome Dimitroff's on the horn, and offering #55 and next year's #1 for this pick. Shea McClellin and Nick Perry, among others, are still available. Do you, as Patriots' GM, make that trade. If so, NE doesn't draft until #41. Can you count on getting a difference maker then? I'm going to say no. Turn down this trade and pick up Shea McClellin OLB Boise St

32 New York Giants - Trade. The Falcons make their trade here. Giants get #55 and a 1st in 2013, the Falcons get Coby Fleener TE Stanford.

Second round

33 St. Louis - Devin Still DT Penn St

34 Indianapolis - Nick Perry OLB USC

35 Minnesota - Jerel Worthy DT Michigan St

36 Tampa Bay - Doug Martin RB Boise St

37 Cleveland - Amini Silatolu OL Midwestern St

38 Jacksonville - Kendall Wright WR Baylor

39 St. Louis (from Washington) - Bobby Massie OT Mississippi

40 Carolina - Brandon Thompson DT Clemson

41 New England (from Buffalo) - Kendall Reyes DE Connecticut

42 Miami - Andre Branch DE Clemson

43 Seattle - Vinny Curry LB Marshall

44 Kansas City - Trade. Arizona gives up its 3rd and its 2013 2nd rounder to get Brandon Weedon QB Oklahoma St

45 Jacksonville (from Dallas) - Derek Wolfe DE Cincinnati

46 Philadelphia - Jayron Hosley CB Virginia Tech

47 NY Jets - Lavonte David LB Nebraska

48 New England (from Oakland) - Dennard has slugged his way down the board. Instead, the Patriots will draft Brandon Boykin CB Georgia, who is rising. If he does nothing else, Boykin will improve our return game a hundredfold. I'll bet he can cover the slot just fine too.

49 San Diego -Jeff Allen OT Illinois

50 Chicago - Alshon Jeffery WR South Carolina

51 Philadelphia (from Arizona) - Harrison Smith S Notre Dame

52 Tennessee - Trumaine Johnson CB Montana

53 Cincinnati - Mychal Kendricks LB California

54 Detroit - David Wilson RB Virginia Tech

55 New York Giants (from Atlanta) - Lamar Miller RB Miami of Florida

56 Pittsburgh - Brandon Brooks G Miami of Ohio

57 Denver - Alameda Ta'amu DT Washington

58 Houston - Bruce Irvin OLB West Virginia

59 Green Bay - Josh Robinson CB Central Florida

60 Baltimore - Ben Jones C Georgia

61 San Francisco - Kelechi Osemele OT Iowa St

62 New England - This seems to be a good place for a young WR. There's a lot of guys I like here, but for me it comes down to Sanu and Jones. Both seem to be really level-headed, non-diva WRs from good NCAA systems. I'm going to give the edge to Marvin Jones WR California for his role versatility and return ability.

63 New York Giants - Jared Crick DE Nebraska seems to be a perfect replacement for Tolleson along the front line.

In sum, the Patriots get Shea McClellin, Kendall Reyes, Brandon Boykin, Marvin Jones, and a 2013 #2 from Buffalo. Next round I'm looking at Markelle Martin, Alfonzo Dennard, Chase Minnifield, and another WR, since there seems to be good depth (Sanu, Childs, Adams, Givens, Jenkins, etc)

Last edited:
I don't like the trade downs. Take Mercilus and McClellin in the first and Harrison Smith at #48. I'd do back flips.

Heat
I like your thinking insofar as teams perhaps wanting to trade (up/down) but in the end, staying where they are.
I'll be curious as to where Jenkins falls. This guy is this year's "As the world Turns" soap-opera. I just don't see the Bengals puling the trigger on hiim.
The other question I had was Konz to Denver. He might have been a Shannahan guy but is he a Fox guy?

I'm confused. Did Miami take Tannehill at #7? If so, then why would they make that deal? Is someone else trying to trade into the #7 who wants Tannehill?

Jacksonville has different needs then cornerback (they resigned their 2 starters and added Ross), but Gilmore is a good pick value wise.

Again, Poe to the Jets would make me smile

I really like the Houston trade

I actually have Jon Martin going to the Patriots. Tough to see NE dealing with the enemy.

GB will be licking their chops if the draft ends up like this. Pretty much all the 3-4 OLBs are ripe for the picking.

I still think the Colts will take Coby Fleener in round 2.

Chicago becomes a high flying offense overnight. Amazing.

I think someone will reach for Harrison Smith in the late first/early second, but Philadelphia would be ecstatic if he fell to them there.

Thanks for doing this again. It was even better than your first.

I'd be pretty happy with that draft for the Pats but Kendall Wright at 41 would be tempting for a small trade up. I like Jones a lot but if they could package 62 + 93 and get Wright I'd do it. I doubt Wright really falls that far.

I'd be pretty happy with that draft for the Pats but Kendall Wright at 41 would be tempting for a small trade up. I like Jones a lot but if they could package 62 + 93 and get Wright I'd do it. I doubt Wright really falls that far.

I actually like that scenario quite a bit, but I think I'd prefer Reyes at that spot. There seems to be a lot of WRs that can contribute available in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. DL, not so much. Of course, there's a possibility that Reyes falls to 48 and we can have our beer and drink it too.

I like Wright a lot, solid late-first round value to me.

I actually like that scenario quite a bit, but I think I'd prefer Reyes at that spot. There seems to be a lot of WRs that can contribute available in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. DL, not so much. Of course, there's a possibility that Reyes falls to 48 and we can have our beer and drink it too.

I like Wright a lot, solid late-first round value to me.

Agreed on Reyes, and DL in general, at 41 which is why I used 62+93 to get Wright. I feel like Wright in this offense could be the best of Branch coupled with the best of Welker in this offense. I like Jones at 62 as well along with other receivers still around in this scenario but Wright really could be special.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes