PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Germany vs Australia

Mike the Brit

Minuteman Target
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Game started at 100 miles an hour.

The Aussies shocked the Germans by putting them under pressure and had a wonderful scoring opportunity blocked on the line. Then the Germans went up the field, nearly scored -- and then scored. The goal looked offside at first (all the Australians stopped) but it may not have been. (Sound of firecrackers in the street outside!)

As the game settles, the Germans are looking very dangerous when they are on the attack. (But, as I write, the Aussies make another good break and cross down the right wing.)

Well worth watching.

Germans should be up 3-4 to zip on the first half.

The Germans score a superb second -- no doubt about that one. Lovely, wicked angled cross and Klose just beats the keeper to it. Then they could/should have had a third with another beautiful break just on-side. The Australians are totally rattled -- as well they might be -- and the defenders are having a good yell at one another.

Here's the dope on the Germans' first goal after looking at the replay.

One of the German strikers had gone well forward and was offside, and one of the Australian defenders had followed him back. But the ball was played through to another German attacker who *would* himself have been offside if not for that first German defender. Back in the day, that would (and should) have been blown for offside because the German striker, though he didn't himself get the ball, was "interfering with play". I'd like someone who knows the game better than me to tell me whether that's still the law or not.

But it doesn't make much difference. Only a question of how many the Germans win by (and the Aussies have just had Tim Cahill sent off for what didn't look like much of a foul to me).

Sensationaly football from Germany. They do tournament football better than anyone. Low will be in high demand after the World Cup if this continues.

I don't know what it is. I certainly don't like the German team, but I DO like the way they play.

I guess I see them as being closer to the old idea of "total football" than any other team I can think of nowadays. They're fairly interchangeable -- almost all pretty tall guys, good in the air and can tackle -- on the Ballack/Schweinsteiger model. What they seem to be about, above all, though, is breaking forward from midfield. They can pretty much all do that and they're looking to do it all the time -- and the other guys fall back to cover. Even without the stupid sending off of Cahill, they simply cut the Aussies to bits.

As the Americans say, "blow-out"!

Thats football, man. The passing, the movement, the freedom, the intelligence....Fantastic. Aussies couldn't get anywhere near Germany, last time I seen so many late tackles it was sunday league.

It breaks my heart to see the English long ball sh!te, I was brought up on the Liverpool pass and move football and thats how my teams play. You pass the ball, you move, you use intelligence and you always play with expression and confidence. Thats football and why it's so beautiful to watch when it's played properly.

Last edited:
I hope Klose breaks Ronaldo's record! GO DEUTSCHLAND!!!

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back