PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gay, Faulk, Hill, and Alexander to coach LSU spring game

Status
Not open for further replies.
and yet he's the one playing in the nfl for the pats, and you're sitting there typing....

its all good. he'll be here with us soon if he doesnt step it up

hill was a great D-lineman when he was at LSU...thats why the pats took him in the 2nd round, its just that after 4 or 5 years he hasnt gotten the starting job b/c of the emergence of ty warren...

sorry about my previous post but i jsut found what you said very ignorant....theres a difference between "talking football" and "ignorance"...

and since warren AND seymour were both 1st round investments, they're not goign to bench them just to give another guy a chance...

Last edited:
I think this will be a crossraods year for him..to fill in more..and SHOW something or he may be the odd one out. I think obviously the coaches have seen something to keep him around and it's HARD to IMPOSSIBLE to be playing ahead or in place of Warren or Seymour...but I do think we will see more of gim one way or another. I think it MAY take a few years to develop and learn..and since he was one of the youngest in the draft that year...give him a break!!

question for you who would hill replace seymour? no warren? no wilfork? no green? no wright? no my point is he is stuck behind some great and good players and he is cheap insurance if one of them gets injured, they would not keep him if he didnt show promise

Wright, Green, Klecko, LeKevin? I think even his mother's got tired of making excuses for him by now.

He would be the equivalent of an insurance policy which paid the family zero in the event of your death.

Last edited:
Wright, Green, Klecko, LeKevin? I think even his mother's got tired of making excuses for him by now.

Klecko and Smith are irrelevant. Green and Wright have been addressed.

Wright is a NT who can fill in at DE. Green is a pass-rushing DL.

Hill is a run-stopping DE. (see: Seymour, Warren)
Says who? When has Hill showed he is a run stopper? Point in case is that he hasn't proven anything, so you cannot tell us that we are out of line by saying he's garbage, since he has done NOTHING to disprove this.

hill was a great D-lineman when he was at LSU...thats why the pats took him in the 2nd round, its just that after 4 or 5 years he hasnt gotten the starting job b/c of the emergence of ty warren...

sorry about my previous post but i jsut found what you said very ignorant....theres a difference between "talking football" and "ignorance"...

and since warren AND seymour were both 1st round investments, they're not goign to bench them just to give another guy a chance...

Warren and Seymour were both injured last year, Seymour for most of the year.

Could have used that "insurance policy agains the Jets.

They used Seymour on both sides to see which he could play with only one arm, (and leg injuries too, judging from knee surgery) and other leg problems.

Hills had 3 training camps, multiple opportunities when we needed him for an injured seymour or Warren. He's been so bad they've had to take him out immediately.

Wright has made the team thanks to Hills ineptitude. We have two DE replacements, they both can play nose in a pinch and Green's a great pass rusher too.

What's Hill?

I think this will be a crossraods year for him..to fill in more..and SHOW something or he may be the odd one out. I think obviously the coaches have seen something to keep him around and it's HARD to IMPOSSIBLE to be playing ahead or in place of Warren or Seymour...but I do think we will see more of gim one way or another. I think it MAY take a few years to develop and learn..and since he was one of the youngest in the draft that year...give him a break!!

Yeah, maybe this year Warren will get hurt and Seymour will be seriously injured most of the season and Marquise can show what he's made of.

Oh wait, that was last year. Never mind.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Yeah, maybe this year Warren will get hurt and Seymour will be seriously injured most of the season and Marquise can show what he's made of.

Oh wait, that was last year. Never mind.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

"Seriously injured?"

Seymour was active for 16 games. Warren was active for 15. Wilfork was active for 13. That's 44 out of 48 possible games. Want to guess how many games Hill was active for? (The answer is 4.)

Hill can only get a chance to play when he's active. He can only be active when Seymour, Warren, or Wilfork aren't. There's simply no other way of getting him active, numbers-wise. Green needs to be active as a pass-rusher. Wright needs to be active as a NT. That leaves Smith and Hill, who are usually inactive. Odd men out.

The only game where Warren or Seymour was inactive because of injury was the November Jets game, when Hill was injured. Even then, Green obviously got the nod, and Hill filled in some, but otherwise Seymour and Green had most of the reps.

The other three games, the December Dolphins, Texans, and Titans games, both Seymour and Warren were active and thus relatively active (Green, too). BB barely rested his starters, even in the final games. Because of this, Hill's playing time was severely limited in these games too. I have yet to take a look at the plays he was in during these three games, but I will some time.

Defensive End?

You're thinking way too simply. All these players have specialized roles. Green's role/skillset isn't echoed in the starting lineup as strongly as Hill's is.

You can call both Izzo and Bruschi linebackers, but in reality we know they both have their individual roles, and they both excel in them.

Says who? When has Hill showed he is a run stopper?

That's what his skillset suggests. If he was 30 pounds lighter and faster, I think we'd agree he would be more of a pass rusher. If he was 30 pounds heavier and a few inches shorter, I think we'd agree he'd be more of a nost tackle.

drew4008]Point in case is that he hasn't proven anything, so you cannot tell us that we are out of line by saying he's garbage, since he has done NOTHING to disprove this.

This is simply chicken/egg. I won't even bother.

Warren and Seymour were both injured last year, Seymour for most of the year.

Doesn't matter. The Pats don't get an extra active spot if Seymour is active and injured.

RayClay said:
Could have used that "insurance policy agains the Jets.

Show me the last time the Pats have activated more than 5 DL's in game.

RayClay said:
They used Seymour on both sides to see which he could play with only one arm, (and leg injuries too, judging from knee surgery) and other leg problems.

Again, he could have no arms and if he was still active, it wouldn't matter.

RayClay said:
Hills had 3 training camps, multiple opportunities when we needed him for an injured seymour or Warren. He's been so bad they've had to take him out immediately.

But never 2 or even 3 (Green) at the same time. Whenever Seymour has been hurt, Green has been there. Whenever Warren has been hurt, Green has been there.

Even so, Warren has only been inactive for 1 game in the past 4 years. That's 63 active, 1 inactive. That's not exactly "multiple opportunities." That one inactive game, against the Jets, I have already outlined above in the thread.

Seymour has actually been fairly healthy over his 6-year career, at least in terms of missed games (which is all that matters in this discussion).

Hill has been in those 3 camps, but he's also been in those 3 games with Seymour, Warren, and Green. He's been buried from the beginning. The Pats drafted him as an insurance policy, and fortunately Seymour and Warren have panned out and stayed healthy, so they haven't needed Hill. It was a gamble pick. If they took another DL in the 1st round this year, and he never got to play because of Seymour and Warren, would we be downgrading him too?

RayClay said:
Wright has made the team thanks to Hills ineptitude.

Wright made the team in 2005 thanks to Dan Klecko's ...and... Ifo Pili's ineptitude. If he were fighting Hill for the 4th and final DE spot, the two wouldn't have co-existed on a roster for two years now.

RayClay said:
We have two DE replacements, they both can play nose in a pinch and Green's a great pass rusher too.

What's Hill?

Wright is too tall for NT and too big to be an effective pass rusher. He would have had more flexibility in a 4-3, but it's not his fault the Pats drafted him.

Again, the Pats drafted Hill before Warren had proven himself, and when Seymour was still in the process of doing so. If Warren had taken a Jonathan Sullivan path, Hill may be a starter today. Who knows. What we do know is that, in hindsight, the Pats wouldn't have drafted Hill in 2004 if they had known how Seymour and Warren and Green have turned out.

You're thinking way too simply. All these players have specialized roles. Green's role/skillset isn't echoed in the starting lineup as strongly as Hill's is.

You can call both Izzo and Bruschi linebackers, but in reality we know they both have their individual roles, and they both excel in them.

Izzo is a special teams Captain. Although he's undersized, he can play ILB in a pinch.

What what what is Marquise Hill's role? Seymour has multiple injuries, he has to play because Hill can't even cover for a series. Same for Warren.

Wright has played Fair at DE when pressed. Not great, but his role is to back that up and NT. Jarvis has played in place of Seymour, worked out at NT and been a pass rusher.

Hill has been so bad against the run he's had to be pulled, exhibits no pass rush and can't tie up two blockers.

Is collecting splinters considerd a role? If so, that's his.

you cant judge how great or bad a player is with only 4 games of film....if hill was as great as you guys want him to be, he woudlnt be backing up green/seymour/warren...he'd be starting at another place and he wouldve asked for more money....

teams adjust every single week...and during the game, teams make offensive adjustments...you cant expect a guy who played 4 games last year to recognize the changes in style or pick up any sort of play....seymour/warren are so great b/c they've been on the field and start to expect changes...hill played 4 games...

also

scouts and other teams just NOW started to realize how great of a player warren is, scouts never really paid attention to him b/c they were more worried about seymour.....now scouts have to gameplan against warren/seymour, so their reputation as explosive players goes up dramatically....how about having seymour/wilfork/warren overshadowing you like that?

hills a great player...its just that you're expecting way too much out of a guy who barely plays a 3rd of a season...

Izzo is a special teams Captain. Although he's undersized, he can play ILB in a pinch.

True, but I think most around here would agree it wouldn't be a pretty sight if Izzo had to start for a significant period of time.

What what what is Marquise Hill's role? Seymour has multiple injuries, he has to play because Hill can't even cover for a series. Same for Warren.

I think if BB can put two of the best defensive linemen in the NFL on the field, he will. If they can walk, they'll be out there.

RayClay said:
Wright has played Fair at DE when pressed. Not great, but his role is to back that up and NT. Jarvis has played in place of Seymour, worked out at NT and been a pass rusher.

Jarvis has never been in a role as a 1st/2nd down NT. You may see him line up at NT in a 3rd down situation, but it's not the same as what Wilfork does. Green is just pass-rushing up the middle, not cogging/2-gapping like Wilfork.

RayClay said:
Hill has been so bad against the run he's had to be pulled, exhibits no pass rush and can't tie up two blockers.

What are you basing those "observations" on? One notable play you remember? Or did you actually sit down and watch tape of all the plays Hill has been in?

I'd do that before even attempting to make an all-encompassing statement like that.

RayClay said:
Is collecting splinters considerd a role? If so, that's his.

I think I'd file that under "unneeded bashing."

watch

True, but I think most around here would agree it wouldn't be a pretty sight if Izzo had to start for a significant period of time.

He's a special teams captain and can back up a position in an emergency.

That's 2 roles.

Hill can't play ST or back up the position he's listed at.

Plus he can't back up NT, which every player on the line could if necessary!

Maybe not well, but at least they've tried!!!!!!!!

Please!!! What role does, might or could Hill have since you're making all these excuses.

No more excuses. Answer the question.

What is his role!!!???

Last edited:
it doesnt matter what role each player has, and it doesnt matter if you cant determine if they ahve a role or not

in the pats base 3-4 defensive, if everyone is 100%, the 3 down linemen will be seymour/wilfork/warren, with green/wright/hill being their respective backups, of course if warren is hurt, then green will take over for warren, as he is statistically better than hill...

and if by chance all three starters are hurt at the same time, BB will use 3-4, but if that doesnt work then he can come out in the 2-5-4 prowl formation and have more linebackers in with green and wright or whoever to play the 2nd DT as their 2 downlinemen

Last edited:
Every thread that mentions Hill inevitably turns into an argument about whether he is worthless or not.

I look at it very simply:

Obviously he brings something to the tabe or he wouldn't be on the team.

it doesnt matter what role each player has, and it doesnt matter if you cant determine if they ahve a role or not

in the pats base 3-4 defensive, if everyone is 100%, the 3 down linemen will be seymour/wilfork/warren, with green/wright/hill being their respective backups, of course if warren is hurt, then green will take over for warren, as he is statistically better than hill...

and if by chance all three starters are hurt at the same time, BB will use 3-4, but if that doesnt work then he can come out in the 2-5-4 prowl formation and have more linebackers in with green and wright or whoever to play the 2nd DT as their 2 downlinemen

Is this some kind of joke?

Hill gets paid, right?

Do you get paid to show up at your job and do nothing and have no possibility of replacing the people that do something if necessary.

I used to live in Boston and there were political people who got paid to do nothing, but at least they didn't show up and get in the way.

What am I missing here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back