PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gay, Faulk, Hill, and Alexander to coach LSU spring game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every thread that mentions Hill inevitably turns into an argument about whether he is worthless or not.

I look at it very simply:

Obviously he brings something to the tabe or he wouldn't be on the team.

Thank you. I will accept the blind faith theory.

As long as you don't tell me everyone has a role then fill up half a page avoiding any possible mention of what his might be as if he's a covert CIA agent.

I'm not even that down on him, it's just the freaking lack of logic.

Everybody has a role. Hill is somebody, therefore he must have a role.

That role is_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _?

Is this some kind of joke?

Hill gets paid, right?

Do you get paid to show up at your job and do nothing and have no possibility of replacing the people that do something if necessary.

I used to live in Boston and there were political people who got paid to do nothing, but at least they didn't show up and get in the way.

What am I missing here?

oh i forgot, having a political position in office or just in a political party....goign to work every day, even to practice, can result in injury...

hills not paid to show and do nothing, he is paid to back up the starter, hence why he is being paid back up money, isntead of starter money,

what you're missing is the fact that any ONE play can result in an injury, whether its just a pulled hamstring or its a severe concussion....

in politics you dont see politicians throwing their bodies, that they've trained to get for 20 years, to make a tackle and stop the run....

off a snap warren breaks his ankle....oh but, according to your rationale, hill wont come in and back him up, b/c he's being paid to do nothing, and not to get in the way

politics and football are copmletely different things, in politics, anyone can make a statement, whether it be true or not, and can become on of the most important philosphers/politician of his time....in football if you're the back up, you practice every week, you dress every week, you go into every game and you wait for your oppurtunity....

and please, by some freak accident the whole dline all get concussions, BB isnt going to say, ok.....gostkowski get in there and get to manning right now....he's goign to say hill green wright get in there

i'm sorry you think BB's faith in hill is a joke...

Last edited:
You're thinking way too simply. All these players have specialized roles. Green's role/skillset isn't echoed in the starting lineup as strongly as Hill's is.

You can call both Izzo and Bruschi linebackers, but in reality we know they both have their individual roles, and they both excel in them.

You'll have to forgive me, I'm very simple minded. We play 3-4 and 4-3 sometimes. Hill has no speed to rush nor talent/desire to play ST.

Therefore his only use would be end in a 3-4 or tackle in a 4-3.

To complicate further, he would need abilities to do other things.

Making it even simpler, he hasn't proved ability to play either of those positions.

Please add the complexities I'm missing, as I am rather simple.

oh i forgot, having a political position in office or just in a political party....goign to work every day, even to practice, can result in injury...

hills not paid to show and do nothing, he is paid to back up the starter, hence why he is being paid back up money, isntead of starter money,

what you're missing is the fact that any ONE play can result in an injury, whether its just a pulled hamstring or its a severe concussion....

in politics you dont see politicians throwing their bodies, that they've trained to get for 20 years, to make a tackle and stop the run....

off a snap warren breaks his ankle....oh but, according to your rationale, hill wont come in and back him up, b/c he's being paid to do nothing, and not to get in the way

politics and football are copmletely different things, in politics, anyone can make a statement, whether it be true or not, and can become on of the most important philosphers/politician of his time....in football if you're the back up, you practice every week, you dress every week, you go into every game and you wait for your oppurtunity....

and please, by some freak accident the whole dline all get concussions, BB isnt going to say, ok.....gostkowski get in there and get to manning right now....he's goign to say hill green wright get in there

i'm sorry you think BB's faith in hill is a joke...

That's a start. Which starter does he back up?

I would say he'd pull Santonio Thomas off the practice squad ASAP. He's looked much more active and effective in the brief time I've seen either one play. I think he should have made the team, what do you think?

So your whole argument is we need a big warm body. that argument could mean going with thomas and LeKevin Smith ubtil we pick somebody off of waivers.

Last edited:
You'll have to forgive me, I'm very simple minded. We play 3-4 and 4-3 sometimes. Hill has no speed to rush nor talent/desire to play ST.

Making it even simpler, he hasn't proved ability to play either of those positions.

DT and DE arent usually on special teams...i think...

and green is infront of hill...and if green is needed, and another position as a passrusher is needed, BB will put in a LB

and i said that already....

starting 3 downlinemen are seymour/wilfork/warren, and their backups are green/wright/hill respectively, but, in my last comment, i also mention that green is infront of hill, in the depth chart, and as i said before, if by chance all three starting down linement seymour wilfork and warren go down....green wright and hill will come in and fill the void, and again as i said...if that 3-4 sint working, BB has the option of going into a 2-5-4, or 1-5-5 prowl defense...

Is this some kind of joke?

Hill gets paid, right?

Do you get paid to show up at your job and do nothing and have no possibility of replacing the people that do something if necessary.

I used to live in Boston and there were political people who got paid to do nothing, but at least they didn't show up and get in the way.

What am I missing here?

That Hill has never been off the team, despite the countless threads about him over the years?

Thank you. I will accept the blind faith theory.

As long as you don't tell me everyone has a role then fill up half a page avoiding any possible mention of what his might be as if he's a covert CIA agent.

I'm not even that down on him, it's just the freaking lack of logic.

Everybody has a role. Hill is somebody, therefore he must have a role.

That role is_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _?

His role is to be inactive, and there's nothing that will change that as long as Seymour and Warren are around.

Tough luck for Hill, tough luck for the Pats.

We can only wonder what his career would be at this point if he was drafted by any of the other 31 teams.

Now you're just taking baseless shots. No talent or desire? What are you basing this on?!?

The only lineman on the Patriots who plays on special teams is Mike Wright. Seymour doesn't. Koppen doesn't. Warren doesn't. Hochstein doesn't. Green doesn't.

RayClay said:

He'd be more of a fit as a 4-3 DE than a 3-4 NT.

RayClay said:

You're missing the fact that the Patriots' 3-4 defense has a spot for a backup pass rusher, no matter if that player can do anything else or not, but doesn't have an active spot for a backup run stopper, no matter if that player can do anything else or not.

Which starter does Hochstein backup?

Again, you're looking at this like a vanilla, player X starts here and player Y starts there, and player A backups player X, and player B backups player Y. It doesn't work that way.

I would say he'd pull Santonio Thomas off the practice squad ASAP. He's looked much more active and effective in the brief time I've seen either one play. I think he should have made the team, what do you think?

Santonio has been on the practice squad for two years, and was only promoted once - for the final game of 2005, when Wright went on the I.R.

Hill has been on the roster all of that time.

Doesn't that tell you something?

RayClay said:
So your whole argument is we need a big warm body. that argument could mean going with thomas and LeKevin Smith ubtil we pick somebody off of waivers.

Again, Thomas has been around for 2 years now. Hill has to. One has been on the roster, one hasn't.

It is what it is.

Which starter does Hochstein backup?

Center and guard. Next!

Again, you're looking at this like a vanilla, player X starts here and player Y starts there, and player A backups player X, and player B backups player Y. It doesn't work that way.

A disciple of Sartre? I think football is a little less abstract.

Santonio has been on the practice squad for two years, and was only promoted once - for the final game of 2005, when Wright went on the I.R.

He's showed hustle and desire in camp, though, unlike you know who.

Hill has been on the roster all of that time.

I sit, therefore I am?

Doesn't that tell you something?

It tells me he's 6'6" and over 300 Lbs. A rational argument, but you haven't made it.

Again, Thomas has been around for 2 years now. Hill has to. One has been on the roster, one hasn't.

Again, you make no argument, offer no evidence, except stating what is known.

It is what it is.

By your logic, Monty Beisel is still on the team. He was, BB praised him. It couldn't have been a mistake.

You might want to hone your skills before you try out for the debating team.:)

ST is consisted of mainly back up DB's and back up LB's....since off a kick or punt, they have the necessary speed and tackling ability to make the tackle or keep the ball inside the 20 in a punt...

dline are used to pass rush the qb, qb's often take 3 drop or 5 drop steps, thats about 5-10 yards at most, it doenst take explosive speed to get down 5-10, and dline are also used to clog holes so in the event of a run, the back will have nowhere to go as the holes are close

i'll use colts d vs pats d

in the pats 3-4 defense, its used to stop the run...the dline doesnt have the speed of mathis or freeney, but they're bigger, can clog holes, which allows the 4 linebackers to move in and tackle the back for a loss

thats the problem with DE's these days, they're smaller, you see guys coming out of the draft 6'3" 265 lbs...thats a LB 10 years ago, and they'remore focussed on getting to the QB as opposed to stopping the run....in a hb draw play freeney will be bullrushing to get to brady, but he only realizes that maroney is 5-10 yards down the field the other way....thats why the colts run defense was terrible....mathis and freeney were both trying to pincer the qb, so they often times created bigger holes in the trenches....only until the 8th man (bob sanders or anyother safety) comes rushing into the box to close that hole freeney and mathis left....

in the pats defense, you dont need a safety to rush into the box, as the three downlinemen are there to stop the run, of course they'll be bull rushing for the qb, but for the most time, the three down are waiting "at home" clogging up holes, like 6'6" 300 pound linemen, like you know who, there are 4 LB's that are in coverage to recognize a draw or a running play, which allows the lb's to make the stop....thats why BB stress's LBs who can tackle, not LB's who have the speed...

Last edited:
ST is consisted of mainly back up DB's and back up LB's....since off a kick or punt, they have the necessary speed and tackling ability to make the tackle or keep the ball inside the 20 in a punt...

dline are used to pass rush the qb, qb's often take 3 drop or 5 drop steps, thats about 5-10 yards at most, it doenst take explosive speed to get down 5-10, and dline are also used to clog holes so in the event of a run, the back will have nowhere to go as the holes are close

i'll use colts d vs pats d

in the pats 3-4 defense, its used to stop the run...the dline doesnt have the speed of mathis or freeney, but they're bigger, can clog holes, which allows the 4 linebackers to move in and tackle the back for a loss

thats the problem with DE's these days, they'remore focussed on getting to the QB as opposed to stopping the run....in a hb draw play freeney will be bullrushing to get to brady, but he only realizes that maroney is 5-10 yards down the field the other way....thats why the colts run defense was terrible....mathis and freeney were both trying to pincer the qb, so they often times created bigger holes in the trenches....only until the 8th man (bob sanders or anyother safety) comes rushing into the box to close that hole freeney and mathis left....

in the pats defense, you dont need a safety to rush into the box, as the three downlinemen are there to stop the run, of course they'll be bull rushing forthe qb, but for the most time, the three down are waiting "at home" clogging up holes, there are 4 LB's that are in coverage to recognize a draw or a running play, which allows the lb's to make the stop....thats why BB stress's LBs who can tackle, not LB's who have the speed...

Seymour and Wright both play or played special teams. There are different units. considering his lack of usefulness, the 6'6" Hill would be a natural on field goal units. Seymour and Green have both blocked kicks, I believe. I know Seymour has.

In our version of the 3-4, the linebackers rush and the DL tie up the OL so the LB can make tackles and rush.

Our DLinemen are all quality, so they have good quickness for huge men. they are all capable of rushing effectively, but that is not their primary role.

Green is a pass rusher when we go 4-3 only, I think.

I'm tired of the Hill thing. I really thought someone was going to say what role he had, but that's not happening.

The only reason Hill is on the team is his size, agility quotient. He must have shown some indication he could move and he could be a late blooming huge guy.

That's it. As long as there is not a roster squeeze, BB might hang on to him hoping he'll show something and be a player, or at least tradeable.

Can't coach size.

Last edited:
RayClay said:
Center and guard. Next!

My point exactly. Hochstein doesn't backup one particular starter.

RayClay said:
A disciple of Sartre? I think football is a little less abstract.

BB may disagree.

RayClay said:
He's showed hustle and desire in camp, though, unlike you know who.

And so you, who I'm assuming wasn't there for every practice says he didn't hustle in camp.

Yet, the person who was there (and evaluated every play on film) obviously believes Hill deserves to be on the roster instead of Thomas.

RayClay said:
I sit, therefore I am?

Great rebuttal.

RayClay said:
It tells me he's 6'6" and over 300 Lbs. A rational argument, but you haven't made it.

You're backing away at every opportunity.

RayClay said:
Again, you make no argument, offer no evidence, except stating what is known.

Instead of making baseless statements?

My bad.

RayClay said:
By your logic, Monty Beisel is still on the team. He was, BB praised him. It couldn't have been a mistake.

Never did I use any quotes from BB in my argument. I simply used the fact of a player being or not being on the roster.

oh right i was talking about like kick offs ahh my bad....

Seymour and Wright both play or played special teams. There are different units. considering his lack of usefulness, the 6'6" Hill would be a natural on field goal units. Seymour and Green have both blocked kicks, I believe. I know Seymour has.

And that proves nothing. In 3 out of the 4 games Hill was active, Wright and Seymour were also, so there's no way he could have taken their jobs.

In our version of the 3-4, the linebackers rush and the DL tie up the OL so the LB can make tackles and rush.

Our DLinemen are all quality, so they have good quickness for huge men. they are all capable of rushing effectively, but that is not their primary role.

Green is a pass rusher when we go 4-3 only, I think.

The Pats very, very rarely go 4-3.

You will see them in a 4-2 nickel or 3-3 nickel or 2-4 nickel, but never a true "4-3." Again, you're looking at this way too simply. The Pats have all different types of fronts and packages. Usually, their nickel package consists of a 4-man line with Colvin and Vrabel at rush-end and Seymour and Green as interior rushers. Other times, they drop Vrabel or Colvin back. Sometimes, they'll go with their regular 3-man front (Warren, Seymour, Wilfork), and just take out a LB (3-2 nickel). And they have just as many dime fronts.

RayClay said:
I'm tired of the Hill thing. I really thought someone was going to say what role he had, but that's not happening.

Open your eyes.

RayClay said:
The only reason Hill is on the team is his size, agility quotient. He must have shown some indication he could move and he could be a late blooming huge guy.

That's it. As long as there is not a roster squeeze, BB might hang on to him hoping he'll show something and be a player, or at least tradeable.

Can't coach size.

Surely.

Do you think the Pats could have 5 or 6 probowlers on defense this year?

Seymore
Thomas
Warren
Wilfork
Samuel
Colvin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back