Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Garrapolo-Trade or Keep?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not going to happen, but I would play both Brady and Garropolo 50/50 in the next year.
Play Garropolo in the first half
Play Brady in the second half.

If Garropolo plays like a top QB -- then we end up with the #1 seed, and we know he's the QB of the future.

If Garropolo plays like a below average starter -- we still make the playoffs, and we get to keep Brady a little fresher -- less wear and tear, and hopefully Brady is 100% for the playoff run.

I like it. With this approach Brady will only be sacked 3 times per game and hit 15 times. Fresh as lettuce for playoffs...

We all went through this exercise with Mallett for years, and Mallet clearly had a more impressive college career, size, arm over Garropollo. In the end, what did the Pat's get in exchange for the third round pick Mallet? A seventh round pick. Garropollo has done absolutely nothing to show that he can be a QB in the NFL, any GM that trades a pick in rounds 1-4 for him, would be fired!!!!

Let's face it, as of right now, Garropollo is like a bad wife, it's cheaper to keep her/him.

Here's the move, we can't trade him for a top 28 pick, BUT............we can get around that.

Let's say we have a hand shake agreement with some team. They draft the player we want and then we immediately trade Jimmy G. for him? Wouldn't you love seeing Goodell's face when that happens?

BUt then tehre is the part of 'who would trade a first round pick for Jimmy?'

I'm not sure anyone would. After all, he could be the next Ryan Mallett.

There is a rookie salary allotment within the salary cap. A cap-within-the-cap, if you will. The amount each team is alloted is based on how many guys they draft and where.

In this scenario, we could acquire that player drafted in the first round, but we wouldn't get any additional rookie salary cap allotment for him. The only way it would work is if all of our other draftees agree to sign for the league minimum, or we don't sign them at all, or we trade their rights away.

He won't have a lot of value right now if you trade him.

I wouldn't mind seeing him get more looks in 2016. I don't mean just 3 handoffs to mop up. Maybe when the Pats are up or down big, rest the 39 year old Brady and give Jimmy some real game looks and execute different kinds of plays so they have a better idea what they have after 2017.

You'd get more from trading Chandler Jones than you would for Garroppolo

If we can keep Garoppolo and trade Garrapolo, I'm all for it. :)
We should trade him to ourselves for the 33rd overall pick in this year's draft. Troy Vincent just might be stupid enough to approve the paperwork.

I think Brady will probably play 3-4 more years like he's said which is probably too long for us to keep Jimmy G, like Mallett and Hoyer he'll want to get his shot under center.

But he's got more value now as a backup than in trade. If Brady goes down this year we can still win some games with Jimmy, imo.
We could probably sign Cassell or Mallett for short money if need be.

Mallett's still under contract to the Ratbirds for 2016.

That doesn't sound too encouraging, to be completely honest.

That doesn't sound too encouraging, to be completely honest.
The way I see it Brady has missed time with an injury 1 season, so we have a 6.67% chance that he misses significant time. I'm not going to keep Garoppolo who is going to walk in 2 years anyway for that small chance. The reality is that in 2008 we won games but we did not make the playoffs so I would have rather have had a losing record and a top 10 pick.

Do you really think the Patriots are winning a SB in 2016 with Garoppolo under center? I don't and I don't see him being here beyond his contract so I just assume take a good draft pick.

They can't get rid of Garoppolo this season until the result of the NFL's appeal is known. There is no guarantee the result won't come down in the middle of the season. And if it's against Brady, NE will need to have someone QB the team for four weeks on very short notice. Have to think having Jimmy G do that will be better than anyone else they could have that point.

They can't get rid of Garoppolo this season until the result of the NFL's appeal is known. There is no guarantee the result won't come down in the middle of the season. And if it's against Brady, NE will need to have someone QB the team for four weeks on very short notice. Have to think having Jimmy G do that will be better than anyone else they could have that point.

While that is technically true, it's not likely to take 6+ months for them to rule.

Last edited:
The way I see it Brady has missed time with an injury 1 season, so we have a 6.67% chance that he misses significant time. I'm not going to keep Garoppolo who is going to walk in 2 years anyway for that small chance. The reality is that in 2008 we won games but we did not make the playoffs so I would have rather have had a losing record and a top 10 pick.

Do you really think the Patriots are winning a SB in 2016 with Garoppolo under center? I don't and I don't see him being here beyond his contract so I just assume take a good draft pick.
This is the old Tom Moore in Indy theory on why they didn't bother to have Mannings backups so much as take snaps in practice. If he's hurt, "we're ****ed." Q: Exactly so why not have the backup get some reps just in case? "Why would we want to practice being ****ed?"

Beyond being a humorous quote it's not the most ridiculous theory I've ever heard - the difference being that the circumstances change as the starter ages...I don't know nor do any of us at what point TB will truly be done, but surely we can agree it's closer now than it was 4 years ago. As it stands JG is a better (going into 3rd year here, not your standard offense) AND cheaper (rookie deal) alternative to any other backup. If there was truly someone with a hard-on for JG that would offer significant value I think BB would do it in a heartbeat, could sign Cassel instead, and I certainly wouldn't be mad at him for doing so. But the whole trade scenario is a false situation set up only in this forum. Nobody's doing that. And if anyone was even thinking of it, there's no better argument against acquiring a Brady backup than, well, Cassel, Hoyer, and Mallett. I hope JG is different, seems like a good dude and maybe when he's 30 he can start in NE and I hope he gets his shot somewhere, but this whole thing is kinda ludicrous.

But the whole trade scenario is a false situation set up only in this forum. Nobody's doing that.

Well, no GM, at any rate; I remember seeing one website doing a mock offseason/draft where the Patriots fans seem ready to trade Garoppolo to the Iggles, who IIRC would send Kiko Alonso and a mid-round pick or two.

i think a team looking for a QB that bad could have Colin Kaepernick for a 2th or 3rd from the 49ers or hell they could have RG3 for notting both have done way more in the NFL then Garropollo and anyone of dose QB's would make there teams fans a lot more happy then hearing they give up a first round pick for Tom Brady's backup

Garrapolo is the first backup in the Brady era who I feel could actually be a successor to Brady. It's not really based on much except his demeanor and a feeling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe