Game Thoughts: The offense Bungled this one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob0729

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Here we go:

• Fs all around on the offense. It is hard to find a player who had an ok game on the offensive side of the ball. The o-line was horrible at times. Brady was off at times. Basically, all the receivers dropped balls. Blount fumbled. McDaniels' play calling was questionable at times.

• On the flipside, I am excited about what this defense will be in January assuming they don't run out of players due to injuries. Other than the one drive that the Pats lost Kelly and let the Bengals drive 98 yards, this defense couldn't have played much better. I think they held the Bengals to two converted 3rd downs at that point and total points.

• This was arguably Mayo's best game as a Pro. The biggest knock on him was his lack of big plays. He had quite a few today. He was all over the place.

• I love Spikes' aggressiveness, but it really hurts him at times. There were several times today when he shot through the line where he ran right past the play. Other times, he blew up the play behind or at the line. He was really boom or bust today.

• Today was the first day the people who complained about Welker had a strong argument. Brady really could have used a consistent short yardage receiver today. Amendola clearly isn't 100% right yet and no one else stepped up either. The Pats may have needed Woodhead more today though with how little time Brady had.

• I really hope Gronk and his camp didn't just put an arbitrary line in the sand and say that he wasn't returning until next week no matter what. The reports seems that Gronk's camp may have just decided before the year started that week 6 was his return date and nothing was going to change that. The Pats really needed him today and if he was ready to go, I have a problem with that. If he really wasn't ready to go, then it was the right thing to do and not play. If Gronk was just sticking to an arbitrary date, he did a disservice to his team. Unfortunately, with all the reports we will never know the truth. Unless we ever hear anything definitive, he deserves the benefit of the doubt.

• Even though it was a bad day for the offense, I am not that concerned yet. They were down Ridley and Gronk. We knew that the the Bengals had a very good d-line that gives the Pats troubles even when they had Welker, Gronk, Woodhead, etc. The receivers will have ups and downs for a while and today was definitely a down.

I'm sure all the "I told you so" and "Chicken Little" crowds will rule the roost this week. Some of them were just waiting in hiding for a week like this and it only took 5 weeks to get it. I figured I would post before this board gets too insufferable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bolden's drop on that screen is right at the top of the list of big gaffes. He had a boatload of room — and blockers — in front of him.

Such a frustrating game. With all that was stacked against the Pats — and all that they brought on themselves with all these miscues — they still had a legitimate chance to win.

I wish many things, but mostly I wish that Dobson had been able to complete that run for a TD (how the ball came out I don't even want to know but he at least recovered) and I wish Amendola had been able to score the TD.

What might have been if one of those things had happened. Can't believe we didn't score a TD.

Play a D- game against a B- team and get what you deserve.

It was amusing seeing the two teams battle it out over who wanted to lose most at the end, though.

I defend the OCs all the time, but there were at least three separate, before they even happened, "as long as they don't call this they'll be OK" plays. The offensive approach looked like they hadn't watched a minute of film beforehand. Terrible game by Josh.

I wish many things, but mostly I wish that Dobson had been able to complete that run for a TD (how the ball came out I don't even want to know but he at least recovered) and I wish Amendola had been able to score the TD.

What might have been if one of those things had happened. Can't believe we didn't score a TD.

That series was so frustrating. The Bengals player knocked the ball out of Dobson's arms-that was why he fumbled. Amendola not scoring was what bugged me-so close...

That series was so frustrating. The Bengals player knocked the ball out of Dobson's arms-that was why he fumbled. Amendola not scoring was what bugged me-so close...

Amendola made Brady look good on that one. Had Brady thrown accurately he waltzes into the end zone. Instead, he throws behind him and Amendola twists and makes a great falling catch inside the one. The offense being unable to move the ball forward at all the next couple plays summed up their play the entire game. We got out-played and out-coached, as someone might say.

Here we go:
  • Fs all around on the offense. It is hard to find a player who had an ok game on the offensive side of the ball. The o-line was horrible at times. Brady was off at times. Basically, all the receivers dropped balls. Blount fumbled. McDaniels' play calling was questionable at times.
  • On the flipside, I am excited about what this defense will be in January assuming they don't run out of players due to injuries. Other than the one drive that the Pats lost Kelly and let the Bengals drive 98 yards, this defense couldn't have played much better. I think they held the Bengals to two converted 3rd downs at that point and total points.
  • This was arguably Mayo's best game as a Pro. The biggest knock on him was his lack of big plays. He had quite a few today. He was all over the place
  • I love Spikes' aggressiveness, but it really hurts him at times. There were several times today when he shot through the line where he ran right past the play. Other times, he blew up the play behind or at the line. He was really boom or bust today.
  • Today was the first day the people who complained about Welker had a strong argument. Brady really could have used a consistent short yardage receiver today. Amendola clearly isn't 100% right yet and no one else stepped up either. The Pats may have needed Woodhead more today though with how little time Brady had.
  • I really hope Gronk and his camp didn't just put an arbitrary line in the sand and say that he wasn't returning until next week no matter what. The reports seems that Gronk's camp may have just decided before the year started that week 6 was his return date and nothing was going to change that. The Pats really needed him today and if he was ready to go, I have a problem with that. If he really wasn't ready to go, then it was the right thing to do and not play. If Gronk was just sticking to an arbitrary date, he did a disservice to his team. Unfortunately, with all the reports we will never know the truth. Unless we ever hear anything definitive, he deserves the benefit of the doubt.
  • Even though it was a bad day for the offense, I am not that concerned yet. They were down Ridley and Gronk. We knew that the the Bengals had a very good d-line that gives the Pats troubles even when they had Welker, Gronk, Woodhead, etc. The receivers will have ups and downs for a while and today was definitely a down.

I'm sure all the "I told you so" and "Chicken Little" crowds will rule the roost this week. Some of them were just waiting in hiding for a week like this and it only took 5 weeks to get it. I figured I would post before this board gets too insufferable.

Pretty good analysis. And you're right, it was smart to get the post in before the chicken little (and fake Patriot fans) crowd became too large.

While there was blame to go around the offense (WRs, RBs, QB), this, imho, falls more on the OL to play better. Put it this way, take this OL's performance and place it in last week's game and the Patriots probably lose. If TB is hurried frequently he is all but hurried always.

Couldn't care less about the 'we could have used WW' blathering. He's gone. We could have used Gronk or AH too. For that matter we could have used a better player or two on OL. We could have used Vince too. We could have used Kelly in the fourth quarter/goal line stand. For anyone who whines with an 'alas, where are you Wes', you are another name for a cat, plain and simple.

4-1, up 1 game in the division, back to Foxboro, keep progressing with DA back into fuller swing, probably getting Gronk back this week, continue to work on ironing out offensive issues as the final cast of receivers appears, get back on track moving upward and forward towards the better and better ball as the season draws toward the holidays. Next......

There are two things that reoccur which are disconcerting to me with the offense. The first is every time they come up against an athletic and physical DLine they lose the battle. Giants and Ravens in the playoffs. Bengals today and Detroit in the preseason are some examples.

Second these receivers have very suspect hands and it's not just the drops. Even when they make a catch there seems to be some sort of juggle first. It's true with Amendola, Thompkins and Dobson.

The defense played well but still gave up 160 yards rushing. Part of that is life without Vince but when Kelly went down who wasn't dying? The front office screwed up not having more quality depth inside on the line.

The NFL really has ruined the kickoff game. They should just start at the 20 and save us all those lost minutes of our lives.

They lost to the better team today. No need to make excuses and say things like, "we beat ourselves." The Patriots just got flat-out beat.

Time to get back to the drawing board and make adjustments and improvements. I've already moved on from this game.

Nice observations as always. Already touched on it in other threads but 100% agree in regards to Gronk. This isn't NHL or NBA every game is crucial to playoff position.

The NFL really has ruined the kickoff game. They should just start at the 20 and save us all those lost minutes of our lives.

I believe that's their stated plan.

On a positive note, Denver's d sucks. Our d is like the '85 bears in comparison. Really pathetic our guys couldn't make the easiest of catches. Can't keep waiting on Gronk really need the big guy out there.

TB still isn't comfortable with his recievers. Missed routes by WR's and missed targets by Brady. Lets hope they get their **** together when Gronk returns.

I am encouraged by their D also, but they still pull the old routine of letting 3rd and LONG become 1st and 10. Having the Bungles backed up deep in their own end and letting them complete 30 yd passes is unacceptable !

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes