Game Thoughts - As the Saints go marching home with a loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob0729

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Here we go:

• Tip of the cap to Matt Patricia and Bill Belichick for the defensive gameplan tonight. Couldn't have been more perfect in the first half. Talib shadowing Graham was the absolute right call. But even when Talib went down, the Pats still figured out how to bottle him up. I know the Pats gave up 27 points, but the defense was far better today than the points they gave up.
  • This was definitely a case of the Pats' "Next Man Up" philosophy. Go into the game without Kelly and Gronk. Lose Talib, Mayo, Amendola, and Connolly and someone else stepped up and made plays.
  • I am still concerned about the drops, but this receiving corp is getting better. Dobson and Thompkins are improving and making big plays. I think by November, this offense could be clicking with those guys and the return of Gronk and Vereen.
  • I am bit worried about the durability of Talib. Everyone is focusing on Amendola (and him getting a cheap shot to the head doesn't make him injury prone), but Talib is the guy who is more important to this team and less durable. Hopefully, it was an injury that won't keep out for long.
  • The Pats are 5-1 and just beat arguably the best team in the NFC. I don't think anyone thought this was going to be possible four weeks ago especially if you said they would lose Wilfork, Gronk still wouldn't be back, Kelly would be out vs. the Saints, etc.
  • I love the fact there was no quit on this team. The Pats looked dead and buried with 3 minutes left. The defense stepped up and made the stop of the Saints and the offense responded with the winning TD. Past teams that were scoring 40 points on a weekly basis have folded in such cases.
  • Kudos to Brady! He still is struggling with the timing and accuracy with his receivers at time, but the game winning TD was a thing of beauty.

An impressive win! i thought that we would lose for sure after that Brady pick, but Tom had some magic left. He Beat Rob Ryan again at the last second, similar to that Cowboys game. I am finally ready to admit that the defense vastly improved, minus that 3 and 20 play, they were outstanding.:rocker:

I and the expert were wrong, this team is not dead. To perform like this even without Rob is amazing. I wasn't impress when they beat the Falcons, but to defeat a 5-0 New Orleans team is the undeniable proof that this team will do some serious damage when healthy. I hope that this team continue to prove the doubters wrong....me included:(

Alright we're 5-1:D!

Let's not forget Joe Vellano ... led the team with 8 tackles ... 2 of them solo.

Steve Gregory and Chandler Jones had 7.

Ryan Allen ... 4 punts ... 52.5 yard average.

Last edited:
The Patriots won and the Bills and JESTS lost.

How could any real Pats fans be disappointed that?

60 minutes of football. That's the motto.

Thanks to the real fans who stayed till the finish. Showing heart just like the team, I'm proud of you all.

I was really surprised when half the stadium cleared out with 2+ min left.

amazing game the only down side is the injuries but this was old school patriots football good timely defense and Brady being clutch

I cleared out too--turned TV off because I thought we had one time out left, and that NO would be taking 3 knees to end it. I'm still in a state of delirious shock!

I'm sure some of them wanted to beat the traffic to get home and watch the Sox game. If you've ever been to Gillette you know it takes hours to get out of there sometimes.

Still, you never leave early. Put the damn baseball game on the radio. Some of our fans are just embarrassing.

On point as always Rob. This team has won quite a few close ones already, definitely a good sign and a testament to our mental toughness. Even in the loss last week, we somehow had a small shot at the end despite having to throw in a monsoon and things looking very bleak at multiple points (going down 13-3 and 4th down in our territory on that last drive wondering if it's even humanly possible to go 60+ yards in that weather). They really don't quit.

It hasn't been pretty but honestly I'd rather be 5-1 without topping the 30 mark all year long than having a similar AFC leading record with multiple 40 spots and a defense that does 'just enough' i.e our last 2 seasons. Our defense can win games for us, shoot might've done it again today if Dennard timed his jump slightly better.

I couldn't believe Bill went for it on 4th and 6 awful call.

I couldn't believe Brady threw up that duck with over 2 minutes left awful decision.

Everybody is all over the rookies and for the most part rightfully so for their drops but Edelman's two on the last drive could have been really costly. Bolden had an awful drop too.

I get the love forTalib but Mayo is having by far his best season and his loss I hope will be short. That could very costly.

Great game by Ridley. Very consistent and good ball security.

The play calling in the red zone again, good god, awful.

While Talib was outstanding so was the rest of the secondary. McCorty didn't miss a beat on Graham. Dennard was outstanding and while some may blame him on the go ahead TD Stills got away with an offensive interference worst than what Dobson got flagged for. If Dennard wasn't prevented from jumping he knocks thatdown.

The interior of the DL wasn't half bad considering they were without VW and TK.

The Patriots never figured out that safety blitz Ryan kept dialing up. I bet his brother doesn't something similar but different next week. The offensive line while good overall gave up some big hits on Brady again this week and a load of sacks.

Great route, catch and feet on the game winner by Thompkins.

Hoo-man played his best game as a Patriot.

Great clutch 54 yarder and out of the end zone kicks by Ghost to keep Spoules out of the kicking game.

I couldn't believe Brady missed Amendola on that certain TD.

On the last drive when I saw 10 catch a ball for a second I thought who the...oh Collie.

Allen turned out to be the right choice.

We were also fortunate to get a few calls go our way:eek:. During the game the officials made some terrible calls that the Saints should have benefited instead of us. Ultimately that was all negated by the fact that they had several opportunities late in the 4th to ice the game and they failed to do take advantage.:snob:Anyway, We'll take the win.

(On a side note, it seems that every great win for us will come at a price:eek: Aqib and Amendola are down).

A nice win but doesn't take away the fact that in goalline offensive plays,McDaniels playcalling sucks ****.

A few weeks ago the called pass to Solder in the end zone who IS NOT Vrabel and today's continuous runs that weren't getting anywhere almost cost the team another game.

I think he needs to use his brains deep inside the opponents territory or it may cost us big time in January.

[*]Tip of the cap to Matt Patricia and Bill Belichick for the defensive gameplan tonight. Couldn't have been more perfect in the first half. Talib shadowing Graham was the absolute right call. But even when Talib went down, the Pats still figured out how to bottle him up. I know the Pats gave up 27 points, but the defense was far better today than the points they gave up.
BTW do you still say Talib isn't a top 10 CB?

They went 3 for 5 in the red zone.

Only gripe for me is it should have been Ridley instead of Blount running the ball in the red zone on the first drive.

The other one they went with what had gotten them in the end zone 2 previous times, running the ball.

I sat here last week and pounded the table that they should have ran it 3 or even 4 straight times from the Bengals 1. I'm not gonna turn around and kill them for doing it this week.

BTW do you still say Talib isn't a top 10 CB?

I don't remember if and when I said that. I thought last year he was overrated on this team. This year he is a top 5 CB.

On point as always Rob. This team has won quite a few close ones already, definitely a good sign and a testament to our mental toughness. Even in the loss last week, we somehow had a small shot at the end despite having to throw in a monsoon and things looking very bleak at multiple points (going down 13-3 and 4th down in our territory on that last drive wondering if it's even humanly possible to go 60+ yards in that weather). They really don't quit.

It hasn't been pretty but honestly I'd rather be 5-1 without topping the 30 mark all year long than having a similar AFC leading record with multiple 40 spots and a defense that does 'just enough' i.e our last 2 seasons. Our defense can win games for us, shoot might've done it again today if Dennard timed his jump slightly better.

this teams record is better than it was last year at this time...strange huh? considering all the negativity around the team this year vs. last year.

theres something special about this team IMO...the games may not be pretty, but it reminds me of early 00's pats football...the games were ugly, low scoring and while Brady might not throw 3 TD's and throw for 400 yards. he does lead a clutch comeback drive to win.

I couldn't believe Bill went for it on 4th and 6 awful call.

I couldn't believe Brady threw up that duck with over 2 minutes left awful decision.

Everybody is all over the rookies and for the most part rightfully so for their drops but Edelman's two on the last drive could have been really costly. Bolden had an awful drop too.

I get the love forTalib but Mayo is having by far his best season and his loss I hope will be short. That could very costly.

Great game by Ridley. Very consistent and good ball security.

While Talib was outstanding so was the rest of the secondary. McCorty didn't miss a beat on Graham. Dennard was outstanding and while some may blame him on the go ahead TD Stills got away with an offensive interference worst than what Dobson got flagged for. If Dennard wasn't prevented from jumping he knocks thatdown.

The interior of the DL wasn't half bad considering they were without VW and TK.

The Patriots never figured out that safety blitz Ryan kept dialing up. I bet his brother doesn't something similar but different next week. The offensive line while good overall gave up some big hits on Brady again this week and a load of sacks.

Great route, catch and feet on the game winner by Thompkins.

Hoo-man played his best game as a Patriot.

Great clutch 54 yarder and out of the end zone kicks by Ghost to keep Spoules out of the kicking game.

I couldn't believe Brady missed Amendola on that certain TD.

On the last drive when I saw 10 catch a ball for a second I thought who the...oh Collie.

Allen turned out to be the right choice.

I got in a fight with my friends on 4th and 6. I said they should have punted and try to get the ball back because failing to convert would force the Pats to answer with a TD because the Saints were guaranteed a field goal. I was right and luckily the Pats got that TD.

All the positives noted above are well taken - as well as the laments on injuries

I thought there were a ton of bad calls affecting both sides - so I get some of the whining coming from the N.O. fans - but you just gotta get over that and expect your team to step up and overcome such things

The Patriots clawed and scratched for this win - and they deserve it.

1. GREAT comeback win! Brady showing us he still has the Magic Touch when the game is on the line!
2. Can we finally say that Kenbrell Thompkins kid is pretty darned good?
3. Hope Talib is not hurt long term. We will need him down the stretch.
4. No gronk, no problem! Hey it would be nice to have the big athletic lunkhead in there, but we just beat one of the top teams in the league without Gronk.
5. Jimmy Graham who? Our secondary just made him invisible.
6. Defense really stepped up and saved our bacon when it counted. Yeah the 3rd and 20 was terrible. But without those back to back stops by our D, we don't win this one.
7. Ridley and the running game. It's ALIVE!! Looking forward to seeing more of our balanced offense as the season continues.

Gritty unexpected win.
If I am a NO fan , I am mad at my coaching staff/payton not the refs to give Tom Brady 3 chances in the last 3 minutes!! . Just bad situational football from the saints. Also how they helped the pats save 20 secs by throwing dobson out of bounds was another bonehead play which helped us which no one will mention.No way they shouldve lost the football game after the pats missed on their 4th down.

Defense was lights out. Even the 3rd and 20 TD was inches away from being deflected.

Offense ,both brady and JMcD have had confidence issues it seems this season.Both are out of sorts. Drops dont help obviously.

Oline was quite pathetic. And they face a very very tough Dline next week. This scares me a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe