PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Fred Taylor impressed after Buffalo visit today

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a horrible trade. You don't trade someone like Maroney while his value as at its lowest point.

I disagree. Lets face it. He will get hurt again this year. Any wager on that?
He is at his highest value right now before he is hurt once more.
His CAP value is low enough that someone could take a chance on him.
DW Toys

I think Maroney will have a great year this year.

I think he'll have an even better year if we get Fred Taylor to mentor him. I think he's really missed Dillon's mentoring, and would benefit tremendously from having someone of Taylor's caliber to teach him how to put his tremendous physical skills to best use. Taylor is probably the best role model back for LoMo - physically, in terms of running style, and personally - that I could imagine.

I disagree. Lets face it. He will get hurt again this year. Any wager on that?
He is at his highest value right now before he is hurt once more.
His CAP value is low enough that someone could take a chance on him.
DW Toys

So you're saying you'd rather trade Maroney away for little in return, rather than keep him here in the chance he remains healthy and turns into a stud? Makes no sense.

I said a Cassel/Maroney deal would make sense to me if we were signing Taylor. That wasn't a trade, I didn't say what we'd get back. How about five #1s, would that be a good deal ? You can't judge a trade until you know both sides of it.

No, I don't think any trade involving Maroney would be worth it.

Like I said, you don't trade a player with a ton of potential when his value is at its lowest point. It makes far more sense for the Pats to keep him than let him go.

Last edited:
I think he'll have an even better year if we get Fred Taylor to mentor him. I think he's really missed Dillon's mentoring, and would benefit tremendously from having someone of Taylor's caliber to teach him how to put his tremendous physical skills to best use. Taylor is probably the best role model back for LoMo - physically, in terms of running style, and personally - that I could imagine.

what's the matter with Morris, and Faulk? They HAVE to be good mentors. lol.

So you're saying you'd rather trade Maroney away for little in return, rather than keep him here in the chance he remains healthy and turns into a stud? Makes no sense.

Like I said, you don't trade a player with a ton of potential when his value is at its lowest point. It makes far more sense for the Pats to keep him than let him go.

Disagree. Highest is now. He will be hurt again this year and then what can we get for him? I understand potential. He is made out of glass and has a major flaw for an NFL running back. He has all the talent in the world but he has "O" vision. A cut left or right on any one play and he is gone instead of leaving a helmet mark in the back of our O-linemen when he runs into the pile. Secondly he does not like contact (hurt?Maybe), thirdly he is brought down on a single hit at 220lbs. Taylor at 33 makes that cut and is gone.
DW Toys

Disagree. Highest is now. He will be hurt again this year and then what can we get for him? I understand potential. He is made out of glass and has a major flaw for an NFL running back. He has all the talent in the world but he has "O" vision. A cut left or right on any one play and he is gone instead of leaving a helmet mark in the back of our O-linemen when he runs into the pile. Secondly he does not like contact (hurt?Maybe), thirdly he is brought down on a single hit at 220lbs. Taylor at 33 makes that cut and is gone.
DW Toys

First of all, I don't know how you get off saying he has no vision. To be honest, it's difficult to make cuts when you're getting tackled two yards in the backfield.

You could either trade him this year for two apples.

If he busts again, you could trade him next year for one apple.

Or you could hold on to him, hope he stays healthy, and after a productive year, he'll be worth 20 apples.

what's the matter with Morris, and Faulk? They HAVE to be good mentors. lol.

I'm sure they are good mentors. But neither has Taylor's talent or performance record, and they are not stylistically similar to Maroney.

Sense to keep him? I do not know about that IMO. P.S. It's a package deal floated out there. Swap Cassel, our #23 pick, LoMo and Thomas so there is a TE in the trade for...A swap of first rounders (#3 for #23), the Chiefs #34 pick of the second round, Gonzales and LJ (as the dangerous part of the trade but really a moving part who can get moved twice). If he stays I can see LJ given the Dillon/Moss break on personalities. I will say emphatically that a 29 year old LJ is at least as productive as a 24 year old flawed LoMo.
A fair trade for each side. Pioli knows what he is getting in Cassel as well as the issues of LoMo. Hell, he drafted them all.
LJ can still be a dominant All Pro back in the NFL. He is immature and self centered. Think that happens here? It would be his last chance. The CAP numbers are reasonable at $6m for LJ and $4m for Gonzales versus $14.6 for Cassel (no doubt will be changed). Plus our CAP costs on LoMo and Thomas will be reduced.
We will dump the #3 pick anyway unless Crabtree or Curry are that once in a draft pick for BB.

You could be right, but I like this deal better and I see LoMo as a glass RB for his career. That is a shame but he is flawed as well.
DW Toys

Swap Cassel, our #23 pick, LoMo and Thomas so there is a TE in the trade for...A swap of first rounders (#3 for #23), the Chiefs #34 pick of the second round, Gonzales and LJ
DW Toys

Toys, if this goes down I will take a full day to build a shelf for my replica SB 44 Lombardi.

First of all, I don't know how you get off saying he has no vision. To be honest, it's difficult to make cuts when you're getting tackled two yards in the backfield.

You could either trade him this year for two apples.

If he busts again, you could trade him next year for one apple.

Or you could hold on to him, hope he stays healthy, and after a productive year, he'll be worth 20 apples.

Jack, Great analogy but IMO he still has the worst vision of any running back on our roster. We can all agree that point. How many hundreds of times have you seen an LoMo running play when one cut and he is gone but he is down by one single contact. That is almost worse than his vision. Does anybody disagree with that fact? I don't think so if we are honest. I can forgive Faulk. At 220lbs, not LoMo.
DW Toys

Toys, if this goes down I will take a full day to build a shelf for my replica SB 44 Lombardi.

Hey it's possible. LJ wants out. That is no secret and Pioli can't have that distraction. Pioli knows "the best reform school" in the NFL in New England with head master BB.

They tried to move Gonzales for a third rounder last fall. That is fact. Pioli has pieces that he drafted around him that he can build on and youth.

Plus! he does not lose a first rounder in this deal. At the end of the day Cassel only costs him one pick.

I wish TG was a few years younger but he and TB for even a couple years, are an interesting thought. At 96 receptions with an inept QB corp, he is still at a high All Pro level.

LJ may be the fly in the ointment but he is younger that Faulk and Morris or even Jordan if the bring him back. The upside is he wins the rushing title that he has proven he is capable of doing. The downside we "re-trade" him. LoMo represents that NFL career killer. potential.

Call Tony G. old but remember TG is TB's age.

The CAP works as Cassel is $14.6m (will change with a long term contract) and TG is at $4m and LJ is at $6m. Plus we get LoMo and Thomas off the books even though smaller contracts.

Call it what you want but it is fair for all sides.
DW Toys

Last edited:
Anyone know if Warrick Dunn would be a better addition than FT?

He just got cut by the Bucs.

Anyone know if Warrick Dunn would be a better addition than FT?

He just got cut by the Bucs.

No, he would not be. However, he is one of the nicest guys in the NFL, quite possibly THE nicest.

Well, he had 1,116 total yards and 2 TD's last year. Not too bad, by my count.

Taylor had 664 total yards and 1 TD.

Just saying. I don't know honestly know which is better. Looks like Dunn has better rec. yards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back