PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Fraud Branch Backpeddling Already !! ....

Status
Not open for further replies.
big mike said:
IMO, what's sickening is how quickly posters here go from singing the praises of a person while he's a Patriot, but as soon as he's on another team, he's suddenly a talentless, selfish hack. That is sickening.

As much as people complain about Peyton Manning, if he became a Patriot, you guys would suddenly be saying he's the best quarterback ever. And if Brady were traded away, you'd all of a sudden decide he's nothing special. Sickening.

You are overblowing the issue. People are saying he is a whiney little b*&ch and don't like him anymore. I don't think anyone is saying he'll suck. He will do just fine in the West Coast offense. Deion lives for the big moments as his playoff performances indicate.

Pujo said:
I'm with Big Mike on this. Want to talk about classless, 50% of the posters here are classless fans who don't have any objectivity and too much homerism (though the other 50% makes this place worth it). If someone doesn't pick the Pats in March to win the Superbowl they howl and call them a moron, and the way some "fans" treat players that go out the door... it shows a need for those fans to get a life outside of watching football for a lil while. Branch took his money, said nice things about the organization on his way out the door, and from here he's dead to me except when we play against Seattle. No need to take the low road and push his face into the mud. You can always find things to like and hate about a person, but true homers only see the things they like in their team and only see the things they hate in everything else. The true homers know who they are.

Oh, and I'm looking forward to a few choice homers calling me a troll for posting this, that always ends every argument, huh?

I won't say that you are trolling. But I think you missed out on the LIES that Branch told and the selfish way he handled the situation.

big mike said:
Try to follow along with your own posts, will ya? Your opinion of him as a PERSON may have changed due to the holdout, but you and everyone else here was continuing to say how good of a player he is, and how valuable to the team he is - up until the trade, where now all of a sudden he's a washed up loser.

You seem to have no idea what you've said in the past, such as in this thread:
http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=40436
Where you were calling for the Pats to match Seattle's offer, and saying:
"Right now, they are negotiating a deal to Seattle for maybe a 1st round picks and a middle round pick. OK. That's an acceptable ending. But not a really good one for the Patriots, is it? I mean - why is Seattle willing to do that? Because they have major talent issues at wide receiver, want to be successful, and know Branch is very very good."

So, just over a week ago, he was very, very good according to you, and we should have matched the offer Seattle made, and it wouldn't have been a good deal for the Pats to make the trade - even though you were assuming we'd get a first rounder AND a middle round pick? But now the theme is that he's not all he's cracked up to be, the Pats are better off making the trade, etc.. Try a little consistency for once, eh?

Mike -
I think you need to go back and read what SamBam39 said in this thread in comparison to THAT thread because it seems that you missed the boat. SamBam was attacking Branch's charater in this thread in how Branch handled the situation and how Branch was trying to down play himself so that fans in Seattle wouldn't have a high expectation of him. Those were Branch's words and SamBam scoffed at them. SamBam didn't attack Branch's abilities.

big mike said:
Sure, nobody has explicitly said that, but it's clearly the theme of what people are thinking. It's been that way with practically everyone who gets traded or cut. Same way with Seau. When Miami signed him, people like you were calling him washed up, etc.. The Pats sign him, and he's the second coming of LT.

WOW. Talk about gross exaggerations on your part, Big Mike. Its that way with only a few exclusive people. And some people have not jumped onto the Seau bandwagon. And I don't know of a single person who has acted like Seau is the next coming of LT. MOST have said he will bring a good leadership presence to the team and that he'll be in on running downs.

As an aside, I saw from Seau the same things that I saw when he was with the Chargers and when he was with Miami. A guy who is always in on the tail end of the play and acting like he made the crucial stop. With that said, I did NOT focus on him directly, I just focused on the DEFENSE picking up the slack for the offense.

big mike said:
Ah, I'm a troll now. You people are really pathetic.

Seymour did the same thing - why aren't people calling Seymour a "weasel", "slimy loser", "typical classless jock", and so on? The ONLY difference is that Seymour was successful in his holdout, getting the Pats to fold and give him a new contract. So the ONLY difference between how Seymour and Branch handled their contracts is that Seymour is still a Pat, while Branch was traded. Claiming that you're dissing Branch because of how he handled his contract dispute is clearly wrong, since otherwise you should be saying the same things of Seymour - which nobody is.

Sorry, Big Mike, but there is very little similarity between the Seymour situation and the Branch situation. Seymour and Parker actually negotiated with the Patriots and they didn't try and negotiate through the media. Seymour also did not LIE to the fans the way that Branch did. So, I have to say you don't know what you are talking about here.

big mike said:
Face it, my initial post in this thread was spot on.
No, it wasn't. And you shouldn't feel like it is. You've been shown other things that should change your mind.

big mike said:
Yup, and it's not clear at all to me why the Pats never offered a longer term deal. Actually, from the articles, it's not clear if they and Branch's agent ever discussed longer term contracts, which is very odd.

Sorry, but you seemed to have missed out on this also. The Patriots DID offer Branch a 5 year extension that was worth 33 Million (6.6 million a year average). That was before they offered him the 3 year extension worth 18.75 million (6.25 million a year average). The problem was that Branch's agent never tried to negotiate so no one really knows how much the Patriots were potentially going to offer Branch. All Chayut (Branch's agent) did was say that Branch would be holding out and would only be in camp if the Patriots promised NOT to franchise Branch next year. Chayut never once made a counter offer to the Patriots. In fact, as far as has been reported, Chayut and the Patriots never had any sort of negotiations since MAY. The only "negotiations" that they had was when Chayut approached them about allowing Branch to seek a trade. They never talked money until after Chayut brought the Patriots the 2 offers from the Seahawks and Jets.

big mike said:
A player does not negotiate with the team, their agent does. How does someone "break off all lines of communication"? If BB/Pioli don't pick up the phone to call the agent, how is that the player's fault?

I'm waiting to see which one of you guys is the first to say you hope Deion's kid dies. Wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Big_Mike -
I have to say your BS is growing old and I am very surprised that its coming from you. Someone who showed me that he was a knowledgable Patriots fan.

1st off, Players DO negotiate with teams. Daunte Culpepper and Tedy Bruschi are two of those players, but there are others. The Patriots DID offer Branch a contract on 3 different occasions. Branch and his agent turned the Patriots down 3 different times. That last time, Branch and his agent gave the Patriots an Ultimatum. Either agree to not Franchise Branch at the end of the season or Branch would be holding out of all Patriots activities. The Patriots responded that they expected Branch in camp and if he didn't show, the Patriots offer would be off the table and there wouldn't be another one. And Chayut is the one who never picked up the phone to call the Patriots.

So, you can count me as one who quickly grew tired of Branch's antics, feels that Branch is a greedy, selfish liar who is using his son's sickness to attempt to gain sympathy with people. Had Branch just been honest and shown up, I wouldn't have had a problem with it.

Pujo said:
By the way, in your example, I'm not the guy who doesn't get why someone's sad that they broke up with their girlfriend, but I'm also not the guy who thinks it's ok to call your ex a slut because she had the audacity to break up with you.
A good man is hard to find.

Pujo said:
Of course I'm a man who believes that someone's word is important, and if he SAID he would honor his contract, then it's shady to hold out. But given the choice of being handed $1M or $6M, all other things being equal, I wouldn't let anyone tell me that $1M is good enough.
Iknow. For some people their word is worth more than money, for others money is more important than their word. Everyone is allowed to have priorities, but ought to recognize what their priorities are, and not get upset when others note what those priorities are.

Last edited:
SamBam39 said:
watched the weasel's press conference last night.
sickened me.

after all this crying about wanting to be paid big for his big talents, as soon as
he gets his money what does he say to seattle fans?

'I hope ya'll aren't expecting me to come in here and be all that, I'm just a piece of the puzzle'

what a slimy loser.

he's immediately trying to lower expectations and remove pressure off of himself. he wants the dough for being great, but not the spotlight.

typical classless, ignorant jock.

he is soooo not the high character person we oncve thought he was. he's a selfish little weasel who'll say anything to make himself happy.

sorry loser - there ARE big expectations on you now, you idiot.

total lack of perspective itt

Big Mike, I'm with you completely on your perspective. Many posters, like so many typical Bostonians and newspaper writers, absolutely crucify athletes when they leave. Any good they previously did here gets wiped out. It's ridiculous. They fail to see any perspective higher than their own, such as Branch's hospitalized child, or the inherent unfairness of NFL contracts for the players. They can't just let it be, and accept that both sides got what they wanted in this situation, and move on.

Also, some posters here, without naming names, are a complete waste of time to respond to, IMO. I respect your responses to them, but you might have a more enjoyable time just putting them on your 'ignore list'.

If Branch is not a top receiver, why did the patriots offer him a $6M a year extension?

I am not upset at getting a first for a player with one year left on his contract. I'd do that for almost anyone on the team with one year left (other than Seymour, Brady or Wilfork). I didn't like the timing, waiting after Game 1.

But if the patriots deals rumored are accurate, it would seem that the pats indeed did consider him a top receiver. After all if had he accepted a bit higher than one of the patriot deals, after a bit of negotiation, what would we have concluded other than the patriots considered him worth the money, and therefore a top receiver? In the end, he isn't a top receiver because he accepted the money from Seattle instead of us. And he is bum and hateful to most here because of the way he left.

Personally, I don't think he's a top receiver, never did, and don't understand why the pats would pay so much for him.

Last edited:
The Gr8est said:
Debate with big mike as you wish, but he is no troll. At least show him some respect. This debate has sunk to a level it doesn't need to.

Why?

What has he posted that deserves respect?

I hope the pats receive every last effin penny he owes them.

His agent realizes, doesn't he, that he will never represent a NEP player again.

mgteich said:
If Branch is not a top receiver, why did the patriots offer him a $6M a year extension?

I am not upset at getting a first for a player with one year left on his contract. I'd do that for almost anyone on the team with one year left (other than Seymour, Brady or Wilfork). I didn't like the timing, waiting after Game 1.

But if the patriots deals rumored are accurate, it would seem that the pats indeed did consider him a top receiver. After all if had he accepted a bit higher than one of the patriot deals, after a bit of negotiation, what would we have concluded other than the patriots considered him worth the money, and therefore a top receiver? In the end, he isn't a top receiver because he accepted the money from Seattle instead of us. And he is bum and hateful to most here because of the way he left.

Personally, I don't think he's a top receiver, never did, and don't understand why the pats would pay so much for him.

While Branch wasn't a top receiver, he was the Pats #1 receiver. He is an AVERAGE #1 receiver. And that is why they were offering him the 6.6 million a year extension. And they Pats did Front load their offers so they could easily fit it under the cap. The offer they gave Branch would have made him the 17th highest paid receiver. In other words, that of an average #1 receiver. The problem stems from Branch thinking he's an Elite receiver and wanting the 9 million a year or whatever ridiculous amount of money it is he got.

Oswlek said:
I hate to be the bad guy, but Branch is a damn fine receiver. He also had shown nothing but humilty and graciousness until this contract dispute happened. He has legitimate family concerns as one of his twin boys is confined to a hospital.

NE obviously wanted him back because they were so conscientious about the manner in which they negotiated with Givens. Plus, they offered nearly as much compensation to Branch as he finally received from Seattle as their intitial offer. It is clear that they thought very highly of him and wanted him on the team. The one thing that they completely underestimated is Branch's issues with signing a 5 year deal, which has been the major sticking point of the "negotiations."

Branch is not all of a sudden a bad WR because he left the Patriots, nor is he a bad human being. I would wager 3 months income that nobody in Seattle will complain about him as a teammate either. So he left our favorite team. How does that make him so dispicable? I have seen several threads about how the players need to move on and focus on the Jets. Well, I think it's best if we follow our own advice.
Yes...he is a good receiver..I do NOT think anyone ever questioned that..top 5?? Absolutely not..Top twenty..yes. No coubt at all.
Humility and graciousness..yes..UNTIL he showed his true colors. And yes, people wanted him back..the Patriots wanted him back..OF COURSE. Maybe what has made him dispicable is how he has negotiated..OR in his case refused to negotiate. U find that not only did he lie about it, but he did EVERYTHING to basically NOT be a Patriot. Sorry...he put himself WAY above team. Redusing to gonor a contract, lying, talking to other players and bad mouthing the Patriots?? Sorry..none of these actions is at all what I consider at all anything close to actions from someone with "high Character".
Sorry...you may miss that part and you may want to have others have those SAME traits..but I don't and MANY fans don't at all. Sure, he may be a great team mate..WHO CARES!! His actions are closer to a whiny 2 year old and I am glad there are few like that. I think he has shown his true colors furing the way he had conducted business...and his phoniness is something many see.

big mike said:
Seymour did the same thing [ad infinitum]

Same thing meaning holdout? Yes he did.

Held out in the same manner? Not at all.

- Seymour and his agent did not discuss the holdout with the press. Branch's agent never seemed to shut his mouth.
- Seymour and his agent negotiated with the Patriots. Branch's agent cut off negotiations after receiving the initial, very fair offer (at least the perception that it was a fair offer was widely held on various message boards).
- Branch made a public commitment to *not* hold out earlier in the year. Then he held out. Seymour (to the best of my knowledge) never made any public commitment to not holding out.
- Seymour held out of training camp exactly 4 days. Branch held out through the first week of the season. Would Seymour have held out longer? Who knows? Seymour (to the best of my knowledge) has never discussed it. Branch and his agent have publicly stated multiple times that Branch would definately have held out until week 10..
- Branch and his agent filed ridiculous grievences against the Patriots. Seymour and his agent did no such thing.
- Branch's agent threatened to take the Patriots to civil court in order to pursue a ridiculous lawsuit. Seymour and his agent did nothing of the like.

In other words, one holdout was handled in a very classy manner and quietly resolved. The other holdout was handled - by the player and his agent - in a totally classless manner with publicity seeking grievances and claims, refusal to negotiate and an insinstence on punishing the Patriots for expecting Branch to honor his contract. To ignore these huge differences and claim that the situations were the same is disingenuous. In the realm of holdouts, they were as different as night and day.

SamBam39 said:
I think after signing the deal he started to realize what he's gotten himself into. he's being paid like reggie wayne and the team traded a 1st rounder for him - he better produce and produce big - there's gonna be a lot fo pressure and he'[s never even had 1000 yards - I think he's getting real nervous thinking about how this is gonna go if he doesn't hang big numbers...

heh heh what a tool

I think he was trying to come across as humble.

big mike said:
IMO, what's sickening is how quickly posters here go from singing the praises of a person while he's a Patriot, but as soon as he's on another team, he's suddenly a talentless, selfish hack. That is sickening.

As much as people complain about Peyton Manning, if he became a Patriot, you guys would suddenly be saying he's the best quarterback ever. And if Brady were traded away, you'd all of a sudden decide he's nothing special. Sickening.

Hi Mike! I respectfully disagree. Deion was under contract to the New England Patriots for this season. We as fans were counting on him to be a contributing member of this team. His teammates and coaches were also expecting the same thing from him. What he did was selfish and unfair to his employers and his fans. I don't know about you, but I don't know ANYONE who is happy with thier current salary, but we all get up everyday and trudge off to work! I don't deny that Deion has talent and I am thankful for his contributions in the two Super Bowls he helped the Patriots win! But this behavior from him is not acceptable. I am sorry that he is gone, but I think BB and SP did all they could to reslove this in the best interests of the team.

Only time will tell if he sinks or swims with Seattle. I am a member of the camp that thinks he will sink. Tom Brady has a way of making players perform above their talent. Hell, he could make ME look like a star receiver!

On to Payton.........There is no way EVER that I could turn on Tom Brady or embrace Payton for that matter. There have been members of Boston teams that were talented and I hated. David Wells and Carl Everett come to mind for the Sox as well as Terry Glenn and Monty Beisel for the Patriots!

big mike said:
I'm waiting to see which one of you guys is the first to say you hope Deion's kid dies. Wouldn't surprise me in the least.
Reading through this massive thread of have seriousness and half trash talk.

I have to agree that anyone that trashes you after comments like these you deserve it.

The Gr8est said:
Debate with big mike as you wish, but he is no troll. At least show him some respect. This debate has sunk to a level it doesn't need to.
Sorry but I, for one, see no obligation to "show some respect" to someone who wrote (direct quote):

"I'm waiting to see which one of you guys is the first to say you hope Deion's kid dies. Wouldn't surprise me in the least."

QuiGon said:
Sorry but I, for one, see no obligation to "show some respect" to someone who wrote (direct quote):

"I'm waiting to see which one of you guys is the first to say you hope Deion's kid dies. Wouldn't surprise me in the least."
Maybe he has us mixed up with another board?
(shrugs)

QuiGon said:

Well I can't support what he has written here, but the "troll" accusations started flying and I wanted to stifle that, big mike has been posting here a long time and he is not a troll.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe