PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Franchise Asante Samuel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Owl

Rookie
Reaction score
A while back we franchised Tebucky Jones and then ended up trading him to New Orleans for a draft pick. Is there any reason why we couldn't do this with Asante Samuel this coming year? And, would we lose the franchise tag for the year? Your input would be enlightening and appreciated.

A while back we franchised Tebucky Jones and then ended up trading him to New Orleans for a draft pick. Is there any reason why we couldn't do this with Asante Samuel this coming year? And, would we lose the franchise tag for the year? Your input would be enlightening and appreciated.

id like Asante to stay..franchised or resigned

i dont think he played very well against jax its hard to tell but it seemd like he got burnt a couple times

i dont think he played very well against jax its hard to tell but it seemd like he got burnt a couple times

he got burn once.. 41 yards in the end

Scott got beat once..Hobbs missed a tackle..

I said the same about Givens, I think if we'd Franchised him we'd have been able to trade him for more than the 4th or 5th round comp pick we'll get for him.

Yes, we should Franchise him. Worst case we're stuck overpaying for one year but we have the money and a one year overpayment is far different than being locked in for 6 years. We would benefit by likely being able to trade him for more than the comp pick and also controlling where he goes.

The real question in my mind is whether or not BB is prepared to give a 7 figure signing bonus to a CB. He hasn't gone there with Ty Law previously, but every player's situation is unique so I don't think we can assign any hard and fast rules to this particular situation.

Coincidentally isn't the franchise figure for CBs in that 10 million range?????

Tebucky was a Safety and thier franchise number is much lower than a CB.
The reason Branch held out was that he knew that the Pats were going to franchise him next year.

If Samuel doesn't sign an extension in the next few days, I highly doubt that he re-signs with the Pats.

I think CB is about 7M franchise #.

It may be worth it, as there aren't really any younger guys who can step in immediately. Unless you count Gay. Or wilson.

As for franchising Givens, isn't there a risk that you can't trade him and then you HAVE to pay him the franchise number? For WR I would think it would be huge, over 5M. But maybe for one year it wouldn't have been so bad.

As it is we'll probably get a 4th for him. Maybe a 5th for Vinitieri.

As for franchising Givens, isn't there a risk that you can't trade him and then you HAVE to pay him the franchise number? For WR I would think it would be huge, over 5M. But maybe for one year it wouldn't have been so bad.
That's basically been my point. If he signs the offer and you can't trade him then you overpay him - but just for one year. It's not like getting stuck with a bad 6 year deal.

I'm mixed about Assante, there is a school of thought that if you are thrown at a lot you get a lot of picks, if you are thrown at a lot you are a weak link, I am not sure about him because as good as he seems he gets burned a lot.

Secondly, heard Tom Curran speak to this before that essentially he is a nickel back cast into a starting role, not sure about this either.. but once again gets burned a lot.

There will be a tendency to deify him after the season ends, and if he moves on there will be about a gazillion stories in the press now BB and SP screwed up again. Or how cheap Bob Kraft is.

But, getting back to Asante, much like Ty Law, after being beaten a few times, all of a sudden, there he is, cutting in front of a receiver and going downthe sidelines with another int. And, he has done that fairly consistently this season.

* Ty got beat once in awhile, but he covered much better and got beat less often than Samuel. And Ty was, and still is, a much better tackler.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3