Former DE Jones Says Patriots "Not known for really paying guys over there"

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score

Ian Logue

Former Patriots DE Chandler Jones had some comments about how the team treats contracts recently.

Continue reading...

sourgrapes.jpg

Chandler would have just loved being drafted by Hugh Culverhouse or Bill Bidwill before the sons took over.

Reactions: Ian
If he was referring to OVER-paying, yes, that much is true.

If you're trying to say that the Patriots are known for "paying guys", you're insane, because they certainly are not. If you're not trying to say that, you've got no real point.

What he said is true. It's also not exactly a revelation. It's a non-story.

It's really a nod to Belchick that he's been able to successfully utilize the draft and cheap, rookie pacts/value deals. Of course we've seen examples of bigger pacts here, but as a whole the odds of multiple players receiving those deals decrease, at least on the same side of the ball. They stick to their business model around here, and the success speaks for itself.

I will be very interested in seeing how he handles the upcoming free agents with all of that cap space that's available in the spring.

He's not lying, Collins and Hightower still unsigned on the last year of their deal. They don't deserve that.

• Agree
Reactions: Ian
Given how often players who get big money contracts fail to live up to the level of their pay checks, its a wonder they are given out by the owners so often. As for the Pats, they have been very successful with a strategy of playing their middle of the roster better than most teams, and minimizing the people they are paying top 5 money to.

According to Miguel's page, the Pats currently have 21 players making over $2MM this year. That's over 40% of a 53 man roster. Football is a numbers game, and having a salary cap that his heavily weighted at the top (like, say the Jets usually have) is a prescription for failure (as the Jets usually have shown).

NO ONE has managed the cap better than the New England Patriots this century, NO ONE. They ARE loathe to hand out top 5 type contracts, but they are more than willing to pay their "middle class" very well. A great example of this, at a time when they will be facing a huge number (relatively) of hard contract choices with home grown talent, is the same time they have $62MM in cap space.

Ian Logue

Former Patriots DE Chandler Jones had some comments about how the team treats contracts recently.

Continue reading...
If his point is that the Patriots have a reputation as a franchise which typically refuses to pay its players the "going rate", he's correct. If his point is that the Patriots have the reputation as a team which doesn't pay its players the money they deserve, he's correct. The real question is whether those reputations are warranted and supported by fact. I don't believe they are, but some people, many of them players, evidently do. I just don't care and that feeling is simply in line with the way I feel about anything negative that anyone believes about the Patriots. I simply don't give a sh##.

Given how often players who get big money contracts fail to live up to the level of their pay checks, its a wonder they are given out by the owners so often. As for the Pats, they have been very successful with a strategy of playing their middle of the roster better than most teams, and minimizing the people they are paying top 5 money to.

According to Miguel's page, the Pats currently have 21 players making over $2MM this year. That's over 40% of a 53 man roster. Football is a numbers game, and having a salary cap that his heavily weighted at the top (like, say the Jets usually have) is a prescription for failure (as the Jets usually have shown).

NO ONE has managed the cap better than the New England Patriots this century, NO ONE. They ARE loathe to hand out top 5 type contracts, but they are more than willing to pay their "middle class" very well. A great example of this, at a time when they will be facing a huge number (relatively) of hard contract choices with home grown talent, is the same time they have $62MM in cap space.
Given the complexity of the NFL salary cap, I'm always more interested in how the money is being spent rather than the supposed total amount. To me, that's where the Patriots excel. How they allocate the money.

Last I checked the Patriots pay out in salary as much as any team out there.

The difference is their middle class/middle of the roster is getting some of the money that other teams are paying a very select few.

But they are still getting paid.

Last edited:
It's really a nod to Belchick that he's been able to successfully utilize the draft and cheap, rookie pacts/value deals. Of course we've seen examples of bigger pacts here, but as a whole the odds of multiple players receiving those deals decrease, at least on the same side of the ball. They stick to their business model around here, and the success speaks for itself.

I will be very interested in seeing how he handles the upcoming free agents with all of that cap space that's available in the spring.

absolutely

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes