PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Former Colts free agent DE Dwight Freeney visiting the Pats today

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd hold on to see what happens to dumervil.....I would spend extra for him

other then that, whether it's freeney or umenyiora or abraham, I'm not sure any of them will be an improvement over who we already have.......does any of them stand to look better than justin francis? you want to take snaps from him?

If they sign both Abraham and Freeney, where is Chandler Jones going to line up at? Inside? How many rush only DEs can you have on your 53 man roster? Wouldn't it make more sense to invest in one pass rushing DE and and one interior pass rusher instead?

If they sign both Abraham and Freeney, where is Chandler Jones going to line up at? Inside? How many rush only DEs can you have on your 53 man roster? Wouldn't it make more sense to invest in one pass rushing DE and and one interior pass rusher instead?

I would say there's a 0% chance that Freeney starts so it isn't an issue. Jones is one of the staring DEs no matter who we sign.

other then that, whether it's freeney or umenyiora or abraham, I'm not sure any of them will be an improvement over who we already have.......does any of them stand to look better than justin francis? you want to take snaps from him?

Francis can't hold Freeneys of Abrahams jock. He had one good game, never heard of again. Or maybe we can play Jake B, I'm sure none of the vets you mentioned above isn't an improvement over him either.

I'm guessing that either Abraham or Jones could move inside in those cases.

Or we finally have a rotation that might equal the DE/OLB rotation the Pats used to have in Vrabel, McGinest, and Colvin. I think if they sign both Abraham and Freeney, you are going to see a lot of rotating. Jones would be a sure starter because he is good against the run and the pass.

Francis can't hold Freeneys of Abrahams jock. He had one good game, never heard of again. Or maybe we can play Jake B, I'm sure none of the vets you mentioned above isn't an improvement over him either.

francis was a rookie who was way down the depth chart early in the year......he finished strong......

I mean if these guys want to come here for the minimum with nothing guaranteed, then I think it works....spending anything more than that seems silly given you could have gotten micheal bennett for 5M

both freeney and abraham have spent their entire careers on the right side.......they're not going to be effective from the left.....problem is that we already have jones on the right.....

at least Umenyiora has put some time on the left

I'd rather hear that Ed Reed is visiting!

Ed Reed struggled in coverage during the playoffs, can't speak for the season as I didn't watch the all 22 of him for the season. I did however watch the all 22 for him specifically during the playoffs and he was out of position a lot, and doesn't have the speed to recover like he once did. I had a break down of it on here prior to the AFCCG.

I think there is a reason he is still lingering around. And we don't need a FS.

francis was a rookie who was way down the depth chart early in the year......he finished strong......

I mean if these guys want to come here for the minimum with nothing guaranteed, then I think it works....spending anything more than that seems silly given you could have gotten micheal bennett for 5M

both freeney and abraham have spent their entire careers on the right side.......they're not going to be effective from the left.....problem is that we already have jones on the right.....

I just think your under valueing them a little too much. There both not what they used to be, but still effective and can have an impact as situational rushers. If they were being asked to come and play all 3 downs on a constant basis then their effectiveness will take a hit, but if signed their roles would be to go all in on passing situations.

And Lou Gorman wondered where the Red Sox would play Willie McGee....

Jones will be the starter on one side, and Abraham and Freeney would share the other side, plus back him up. Maybe 90/60/50 split of snaps.

I'm guessing that either Abraham or Jones could move inside in those cases.
2 minute defense front 4
Abraham-Armstead-Jones-Freeney

Competition is never a bad thing. And in our desperation for pass rush help lets not forget about Bequette guy was a beast at Arkansas. I am looking for him to step up in year 2. Either way bring in as many as you can and let Camp sort them out.

2 minute defense front 4

That would be a great pass rushing front four that, outside of Freeney, wouldn't also get abused against the run either. Put a coverage LB (Fletcher?) out there instead of Spikes and improve the secondary and you have a two minute defense that would be pretty tough to throw against.

Abraham has actually spent quite a lot of time on the left so I don't think that is an issue. On the vets vs Bennett, Bennett only signed a 1 year deal to try and hit the market again next year, so it comes down to who will be better in 2013. Abraham was the superior player in 2012 and I don't think its crazy to think he will be better in 2013. Add in his experience and I think you can make an argument that Abraham is more valuable than Bennett on a 1 year deal. He was also cut so he doesn't count as part of the compensation formula for draft picks.

Abraham has actually spent quite a lot of time on the left so I don't think that is an issue. On the vets vs Bennett, Bennett only signed a 1 year deal to try and hit the market again next year, so it comes down to who will be better in 2013. Abraham was the superior player in 2012 and I don't think its crazy to think he will be better in 2013. Add in his experience and I think you can make an argument that Abraham is more valuable than Bennett on a 1 year deal. He was also cut so he doesn't count as part of the compensation formula for draft picks.

I just go back to the rentals of carter and anderson and while the sack numbers were more consolidated, they didn't make the defense any better......I think grabbing any of these guys will net out the same result

I just go back to the rentals of carter and anderson and while the sack numbers were more consolidated, they didn't make the defense any better......I think grabbing any of these guys will net out the same result

That is where complimentary football comes into play, IMO. We had a pourous secondary that allowed big play after big play, unless the front 7 got to the QB in 2011. I think the front 7 as it was constituted last year was much better than 2010. And if the Pats do what we expect in the secondary it too will be better than 2011.

2 minute defense front 4

Side benefit, rest for Wilfy. Yeah I know he already comes out in some pass D packages.

And like Dane Fletcher at coverage LB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
Back