PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Football Outsiders on Martellus Bennett

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need:

need - definition of need in English from the Oxford dictionary

I already addressed this in a previous post, just a couple posts back:

Football Outsiders on Martellus Bennett

That being the case, there's no sense continuing this. You've got a position just for the sake of having the position. And the beginning of last season didn't prove what you're claiming it proved.
Lousy definition of need there. Do better, Oxford. Webster's is "a situation in which someone or something must do or have something" which is much more precise.

I have a position because it seems to me to be the correct one, actually, so that's just sort of odd to say, but happy to not continue.

Having a player or players who are good at certain things makes a team better. If the Patriots had a corner who was an outstanding blitzer, they would win a game somewhere along the line that they otherwise would have lost. That doesn't mean the need the corner blitz to win, or that getting that player is worth sacrificing other parts of the team, or that corners ability to cover, for example.
I'm sure there would be value to the Patriots to add a receiver who is a deep threat out of the blue, however how much of a benefit is it, and is it worth the cost is the question, one which BB seems to answer every year, as not much and no.

The deep pass is a rare occurrence that really isn't a big factor in winning football games consistently. Yes it is exciting and makes novice fans think we need one of those but in reality, its just a luxury.

The top 5 yardage receivers last year, caught 16 deep passes (more than 30 yards beyond the los) COMBINED. Not one a game each, but one a game combined between all of them, which is less than one every 3 games each.
It is also notable that 3 of those top 5 receivers team's did not make the playoffs, and the 2 who did won 1 game.

So by the Patriots adding a 'deep threat' first, under a cap, they must sacrifice something else, something that BB evidently deems more valuable.
Secondly, the offense will benefit by maybe an extra big play every month or 2, at the expense of the receiving corps they built for the other 600+ pass plays.

Lousy definition of need there. Do better, Oxford. Webster's is "a situation in which someone or something must do or have something" which is much more precise.

I have a position because it seems to me to be the correct one, actually, so that's just sort of odd to say, but happy to not continue.
Wait, aren't you changing your opinion because you were told many times it is nonsensical?
What more proof do you need than that? :rolleyes:

This article speaks to what Bennett can do as a player, both as a receiver and blocker. I like where the author is headed with the running game arguments. Unless we plan on running a lot of QB option like Wilson does or some of these college teams, I don't see who's going to be running the ball. That to me, is the biggest need at this point. Blount is great, and I'd like him back, but we need a lead guy. Maybe they're thinking Henry in the draft, or the kid from Louisiana Tech, but right now there doesn't seem to be much of a plan there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back