PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Following Rodney's lead: Let go the grudge against Titans?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isaac

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Like most Patriots fans, the Titans and Jeff Fisher were on my hate list after their unethical antics last year against the Patriots, capped by Bobby Wade's cheap shot on Rodney. It wasn't just that he went for Rodney's knees, it's not uncommon to block low, but it was that he first stood him up and then went low--according to Bruschi this was a rare and dirty violation of an unspoken code of conduct. According to tales Jeff Fisher was gleeful and seemed to support the hit; I even heard stories that Titans players were threatening Patriots players (let us win or we're going to injury you). Then of course there is Kevin Mawae, who is just reprehensible and such a fake.

However, I don't like hating teams for these reasons, it takes away from the sport, which is supposed to be entertainment. I like the way the Titans play, Vince Young is exciting to watch, I like underdogs, their true criminal is gone, I want to root for them to beat the Dolts, the Broncos, the Bengals, the Jets.

Rodney seems to have moved on (though not necessarily forgiven): "It has no bearing with what's going on with me or our team — last year's last year. This is a new team that we have and they have a new team. It's just a matter of us going out there and playing well," Harrison said. "Of course during that point in time you're a little frustrated. It was a tough time coming off the knee (injury). But it's all part of the game. You're out there and you're risking injury — you're taking a chance of getting hurt every time you step out on the field. That was something that was unfortunate."
http://www.southcoasttoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070813/SPORTS/708130354

So, can we Patriots fans follow Rodney's lead and let go this grudge against the Titans? Bobby Wade is gone. Kevin Mawae is a scumbag, but he's not a unrepentent/unpunished criminal like Ray Lewis; there's scumbags here and there all over this league and certainly across NFL history--does one dirty player ruin a team?

Last edited:
Kevin Mawae is a scumbag, but he's not a unrepentent/unpunished criminal like Ray Lewis

I don't mean to be the champion of all things Ray Lewis, but the guy was neither unpunished nor unrepentent. That's just demonstrably false.

Last edited:
I don't mean to be the champion of all things Ray Lewis, but the guy was neither unpunished nor unrepentent. That's just demonstrably false.

I'd prefer not to take this thread on a tangent, just meant that Mawae's not a criminal that hasn't been suspended, etcetera.

does one dirty player ruin a team?

the argument is whether the dirty player is actually Jeff Fisher

if it is Jeff Fisher, then it isn't just a dirty player, it is a philosophy that permeates the team

the argument is whether the dirty player is actually Jeff Fisher

if it is Jeff Fisher, then it isn't just a dirty player, it is a philosophy that permeates the team

Excellent point, but do we really know this?

Mawae apart, no one has mentioned Albert Haynesworth. I think that there is a pattern here -- which disturbs me because I too respected Fisher and the Titans.

They're not on our level, therefore getting into chippy grudge matches only boosts their stock and risks our more talented players.

BB simply need to have a talk with the refs. However, it's an exhibition, so if one of our rooks/bubble players wants to "make his bones" so to speak by burying one of their offenders, it wouldn't bother me.

It is a contact sport, after all.

The Titans were upset by Vinny's TD pass. They thought it was running up the score when they were already cranked about getting booted from the POs. I would not be surprised to see the Titan's come out hitting like madmen. No player should play while focused on a grudge, but in a game that doesn't count for anything...look out! (see Bulluck) This could be fun.

I doubt Rodney has let this go. A player who works his butt off to come back after two serious injuries just to get injured again by a player and team with malicious intents? Do you REALLY believe deep down that Rodney Harrison of all people has let this go?

I doubt Rodney has let this go. A player who works his butt off to come back after two serious injuries just to get injured again by a player and team with malicious intents? Do you REALLY believe deep down that Rodney Harrison of all people has let this go?

yes

he is above and beyond holding a grudge against a team that didn't make the playoffs and a player that won't be in the league in 5 years

It's pretty easy not to hold a grudge when you win Super Bowls and the games themselves.

Frankly I've even moved on from the San Diego game and the classless moves and statements made by players there who have no problem with childish celebratory dances but seem to take offense when others do the same.

I'd bet that San Diego players and fans still have a chip on their shoulder given the fact that they could have stopped all of that celebrating simply by winning the game.

So, yeah, I hold no Titan grudge

Well, they don't have the "disrespect" card to play this season. So, in lieu of that, I'll take a "The league lets these teams take out our players with cheap shots and keeps letting the officials screw us on pass interference" card.

Whatever gets them another ring.

Nope, sorry, I hate the Titans and their coach, a fish rots from the head down.

That cheap shot vs Rodney cost the Patriots another Super Bowl win; if he plays vs the Colts, that comeback never happens, not with him taking heads off over the middle of the field where the Colts did most of their damage.................

Nope, sorry, I hate the Titans and their coach, a fish rots from the head down.

That cheap shot vs Rodney cost the Patriots another Super Bowl win; if he plays vs the Colts, that comeback never happens, not with him taking heads off over the middle of the field where the Colts did most of their damage.................

I usually don't get into these "we wuz wronged" threads, but I'm afraid that I have to agree this time. It was a dirty hit and it cost us bad. There were indeed 22 starters plus special teams on the field against Indy, but I sure would have preferred our chances with Rodney out there.

However, being a championship franchise requres acting like one. We need to "let go the grudge" and focus on winning in Phoenix. Getting into a retaliation match with lesser calibre players should be avoided at all costs. We just end up losing more than the Titans at virtually every position on the field.

Rodney will let the "grudge" go but if Bobby Wade was still on the team - no way.

I'd rather see Rodney take out on a team that we play for real.

Fair question. I don't know but I think he very might have let this go for the following reasons:
- Rodney is spiritual. Not that you have to be spritiual to forgive, but it can be healthy not to hold grudges. After all, it is football. Not like this guy hurt his family or something.
- It's among the great myths that Rodney is a dirty player, but undoubtedly there were a few hits in his illustrious career in which he might have done a little more damage than necessary.;) It's a two-way street.
-He's got bigger fish to fry. If Rodney held a grudge against every team in which someone played dirty once, he'd hate every team in the league. It's not sustainable.
- I have great respect for him for many reasons including that he says what he means. Why not take what he says at face value?

I don't hold a grudge against the Titans,I don't recall them being as dirty or trying to be as intimidating as they were in that game. They've always been a hardnosed team under Fisher. I think the problem may be the addition of players such as Mawae,or Mawae in particular. Now the team I do hold a grudge against is SD I truely despise that team of no class losers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents