PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Final Roster Projection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brady6

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
With 4 preseason games in the books and cut day being tomorrow this is my projection for the final roster...

Offense
QB – Brady, Garoppolo (2)
RB – Bolden, Lewis, Gray, White (4)
WR – Edelman, LaFell, Wayne, Amendola, Dobson (5)
TE – Gronkowski, Chandler, Williams, Cleveland (4)
OT – Solder, Vollmer, Cannon, C. Fleming (4)
OG/C – Stork, Wendell, Jackson, Mason, Kline (5)

Defense
DL – Easley, Siliga, M. Brown, Branch (4)
EDGE – Cha. Jones, Ninkovich, Sheard, Flowers, Grissom (5)
LB – Collins, Hightower, Mayo, Freeney (4)
CB – Butler, B. Fletcher, T. Brown, Ryan (4)
SAF – McCourty, Chung, Harmon, Richards, Wilson (5)

Special Teams
K – Gostkowski (1)
P – Allen (1)
LS – Cardona (1)
ST – Slater, Ebner (2)

Non Roster Players
SUSP – Blount (1)
PUP – D. Fletcher, Chr. Jones (2)
IR – Roberts, Derby, Gibson, Develin, Gaffney, Bequette, Tyms (6)
PS – Harper, Moore, Andrews, Johnson, D. Fleming, Morris, Swanson, Walker, ****son, Groy, Saunders (10)

Notes:
- I only kept 51 players, I expect that we will sign a 5th CB and one other player that is not on the current roster once other teams begin their cuts.
- I kept Branch, but I am not sold on him, his work ethic is concerning as is the fact he gained about 30lbs since the end of last season.
- I know most want to keep Rufus Johnson on the 53 man roster, and for good reason he has played very well this preseason. That said, I cut him, retaining 6 edge players when we will rotate at most 3-4 did not make sense. If we did not have a 3rd round pick into Grissom I would have cut him instead but we have to see how he pans out given his draft selection.
- Dobson is not what we wanted him to be, but he does give the team a deep threat who can go up high to catch a football. I kept him for that reason.
- Harper played well enough to make the roster but I think he is redundant with Edelman and Amendola, if Amendola and Welker spent there first year in the NFL on the practice squad I think it is the place for Harper as well.
- I think that Cleveland has outplayed Hoomanawanui and offers more long term upside. I also think he is a superior blocker.
- I love the idea of having Williams as a TE for our power run game.

well done......

IMO, these would be my differences:
- remove TE Williams.....I'd be more apt to keep hooman instead....fleming can do what williams did
- I put johnson ahead of grissom
- I would consider moore over branch
- dump wilson keep mcclain
- harper is not going to make it to the PS.....someone will grab him......PUP Lafell and keep him around

I actually think we may have Dax Swanson on the roster and get rid of McClain. Swanson has earned a spot pretty much over McClain. I also think we may keep Hooman and have Cleveland go to the PS.

@Brady6 Nice projection! Do you make anything of the fact that Cadet wasn't put in the final preseason game?

If the team was going to cut him, I'd think they would've given him at least one opportunity to make a case for himself, or advertise himself to other teams. Right?

Hooman like Jake Bequette have damaging pictures of BB I would keep him over that Williams kid. I really like Asante Cleveland but I would be open to risking him making the P.S. and keep Rufus Johnson on the active roster.

Harper makes the roster, Lafell starts on PUP

Don't think either Williams or Cleveland make the team. No need for 5 TEs.

My opinion:
- Andrews makes the team at Center
- Johnson sticks at DE
- McClain is retained instead of Wilson
- Harper sticks as well, while LaFell starts on the PUP

Your IR list is missing Boyce, Krause, and Hughes.

I don't think both Wilson and Ebner are making the roster, only one of those two makes it IMO.

My opinion:
- Johnson sticks at DE

I badly want Rufus to make the team. But there's already enough depth at DE. Chandler, Nink, Sheard, Trey, Geneo, Easley are all locks. So it would be hard for him to make the final roster.

Dion Lewis is 100% going to be the RB on passing downs.

Hooman is making the team, especially since Devlin is out. Notice that Hooman did not play last night.

Hooman is making the team, especially since Devlin is out. Notice that Hooman did not play last night.

Hooman was holding a clipboard and making notes. Anyone else see that? Know what he was doing?

My opinion:
- Johnson sticks at DE

My guess would be that Hooman and Williams makes it with Cleveland on the PS. Although for salary cap purposes it would be better to cut Hooman. I would rather cut McClain and have Swanson in his spot. Keep Wilson and then cut Ebner. I think Johnson makes it onto the roster so we don't risk losing him from the PS. In that case, Zach Moore would be on the PS. That is a lot of DE's on the roster but fortunately Ninkovich, Sheard and maybe Flowers/Grissom could also play LB so we wouldn't need to keep that many true LB's on the roster.

I know Rufus is a long shot to make the team....but if Kraft is letting this 1st round draft pick go, then the least he can do is ensure that we hold onto rising talent like Rufus. Rufus could be the future of this team. Rather him than Hooman

I got to 55, since I think LaFell starts on PUP and Blount is suspended week 1.

QB (2) T.Brady, J.Garoppolo
RB (5) L.Blount, J.Gray, B.Bolden, J.White, D.Lewis
WR (6) J.Edelman, B.LaFell, D.Amendola, R.Wayne, A.Dobson, C.Harper
TE (3) R.Gronkowski, S.Chandler, M.Williams
C (2) B.Stork, D.Andrews
G (4) T.Jackson, R.Wendell, S.Mason, J.Kline
T (4) M.Cannon, N.Solder, S.Vollmer, C.Fleming
DE (6) R.Ninkovich, C.Jones, J.Sheard, T.Flowers, G.Grissom, R.Johnson
DT (4) D.Easley, S.Siliga, M.Brown, C.Walker
ILB(2) D.Hightower, J.Morris
OLB(2) J.Mayo, J.Collins
CB (5) M.Butler, T.Brown, L.Ryan, B.Fletcher, D.Swanson
SS (4) P.Chung, T.Wilson, J.Richards, N.Ebner
FS (2) D.McCourty, D.Harmon
ST (4) S.Gostkowski, R.Allen, J.Cardona, M. Slater

Total players: 55
Created with Pats Picker: http://patsfans.com/patspicker

Notable cuts: Hoomanawanui and Branch. I think they're both gone for cap reasons. Branch is decent, but if you can save a couple million against the cap to have Casey Walker be your 9th best defensive lineman instead, I think that's a no-brainer. I realize that Belichick gave Branch a $700K signing bonus just this past year, but that was when he was the primary option to fill Wilfork's role. Malcom Brown falling to #32 changes things.

No idea who TE3 will be; could be Williams or Cleveland, but I think either of them + $1.4M (the cap savings from cutting Hoomanawanui) is preferable to Hoomanawanui. This team is too close to the cap to pay TE2 money to a TE3.

When Blount comes back, I'm not sure who's gone. Probably none of the RBs, I don't see it being a direct positional swap. Maybe the tenth lineman (on either side, Johnson or Andrews).

When LaFell comes back, I'm betting Harper's gone.

I got to 55, since I think LaFell starts on PUP and Blount is suspended week 1.

QB (2) T.Brady, J.Garoppolo
RB (5) L.Blount, J.Gray, B.Bolden, J.White, D.Lewis
WR (6) J.Edelman, B.LaFell, D.Amendola, R.Wayne, A.Dobson, C.Harper
TE (3) R.Gronkowski, S.Chandler, M.Williams
C (2) B.Stork, D.Andrews
G (4) T.Jackson, R.Wendell, S.Mason, J.Kline
T (4) M.Cannon, N.Solder, S.Vollmer, C.Fleming
DE (6) R.Ninkovich, C.Jones, J.Sheard, T.Flowers, G.Grissom, R.Johnson
DT (4) D.Easley, S.Siliga, M.Brown, C.Walker
ILB(2) D.Hightower, J.Morris
OLB(2) J.Mayo, J.Collins
CB (5) M.Butler, T.Brown, L.Ryan, B.Fletcher, D.Swanson
SS (4) P.Chung, T.Wilson, J.Richards, N.Ebner
FS (2) D.McCourty, D.Harmon
ST (4) S.Gostkowski, R.Allen, J.Cardona, M. Slater

Total players: 55
Created with Pats Picker: http://patsfans.com/patspicker

Notable cuts: Hoomanawanui and Branch. I think they're both gone for cap reasons. Branch is decent, but if you can save a couple million against the cap to have Casey Walker be your 9th best defensive lineman instead, I think that's a no-brainer.

No idea who TE3 will be; could be Williams or Cleveland, but I think either of them + $1.4M (the cap savings from cutting Hoomanawanui) is preferable to Hoomanawanui. This team is too close to the cap to pay TE2 money to a TE3.

When Blount comes back, I'm not sure who's gone. Probably none of the RBs, I don't see it being a direct positional swap. Maybe the tenth lineman (on either side, Johnson or Andrews).

When LaFell comes back, I'm betting Harper's gone.

Really like your list. To get down to 53, I'll cut Walker (hoping he's on the PS) and James White. Also, I want to keep Hooman over Williams. If they really need the cap space, I'd cut (*gulp*) Wayne.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back