PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Final Cuts

part-timer

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
questionable vested vets:

being that vested vets salaries are guarenteed if they are on the 53 man roster week one.... don't be supprised to see Washington (has shone nothing yet), Fells, A wilson (failed to impress), and Cole, on the outside looking in on Sat.

None of these players have shone any reason to guarentee their salaries for 2013...

Although one or more may be schedualed for a return after week one

Who stays? Who gets the axe? Any surprise cuts?

My prediction cuts:

Tim Tebow
Ben Bartholomew
George Winn
Michael Hoomanawanui
Quentin Sims
Johnathan Haggerty
Chris McDonald
Josh Kline
Luke Patterson
Jermaine Cunningham
Jake Bequette
Joe Vellano
Scott Vallone
Gilbert Peña
Jeff Tarpinian
Mike Rivera
Ja'Gared Davis
Nate Ebner
Kanorris Davis
Justin Green
Stephon Morris
Ryan Allen

Both Tavon and Adrian Wilson survive only because there is no other viable option ahead of them next to McCourty in the back-end. Otherwise one and/or both of them would be on this list too.

Both Tavon and Adrian Wilson survive only because there is no other viable option ahead of them next to McCourty in the back-end. Otherwise one and/or both of them would be on this list too.

For what it's worth there has never been a player who was drafted as highly as T.Wilson who was cut prior to his 2nd season during the Belichick era, so I think you're reaching pretty far with this one. On top of that, Wilson contributes on ST's roles, which is always important for any Belichick coached team. I won't even point out the fact that he was the 2nd most productive safety in last year's draft, because there were plenty of things that he did wrong too--but cutting him at this point would be plain stupid.

Despite his struggles last year at times, one would assume that they'd want to see much more out of him at least throughout the upcoming season and probably deep into next year's training camp where he'd be cut at the end of preseason. There's no way he'd be cut this year unless there are behind the scenes character concerns that we're not aware of. There have been plenty of other players who've played poorly who were kept around a lot longer.

On the bubble:

Beauharnais, Steve
Bequette, Jake
Bolden, Brandon
Buchanan, Michael
Cunningham, Jermaine
Develin, James
Ebner, Nate
Hoomanawanui, Michael
Rivera, Mike

Potential surprise cuts:

Washington, Leon
Wilson, Adrian

Potential practice squad candidates:

Beauharnais
Bequette
Buchanan
Kline
McDonald
Sims
Tarpinian

Official Website of the New England Patriots | Team - Players

For what it's worth there has never been a player who was drafted as highly as T.Wilson who was cut prior to his 2nd season during the Belichick era, so I think you're reaching pretty far with this one. On top of that, Wilson contributes on ST's roles, which is always important for any Belichick coached team. I won't even point out the fact that he was the 2nd most productive safety in last year's draft, because there were plenty of things that he did wrong too--but cutting him at this point would be plain stupid.

Despite his struggles last year at times, one would assume that they'd want to see much more out of him at least throughout the upcoming season and probably deep into next year's training camp where he'd be cut at the end of preseason. There's no way he'd be cut this year unless there are behind the scenes character concerns that we're not aware of. There have been plenty of other players who've played poorly who were kept around a lot longer.
Considering that he wasn't on even my prediction list, the majority of this post is redundant. Why you or anyone else feels the need to continuously nitpick and cheery pick about this is beyond me. And if he was on the list it would be because he deserved to be so (he does in isolation based on this year so far). As stated above, the reason why he isn't on my list is because they don't have anyone better right now (they all stink), which in and of itself is a going to be a problem going forward.

I don't know how anyone can feasibly defend Tavon after the display he's put forward so far this year. He's regressed considerably since last season. That might be a confidence issue - something he may or may not ever overcome, or it could just be that he flat out sucks - like everyone who said he was overdrafted, proclaimed.

As for players who were drafted as high as Wilson never being cut in their season with the Patriots in Belichick's tenure there, I'll state this simply for you and everyone else, just because something hasn't happened doesn't mean it cannot happen. Draft status doesn't provide any sort of immunity if he stinks at playing. 2013 Tavon Wilson is arguably a fringe NFL-er who so far has only shown street free-agent level of play. Logically speaking, why would being a second rounder save such a player if he is a liability on your team?

Either way he's making the roster this time around, but not because he's any good. And the fact that he was a second rounder makes it look even worse for him from an expectations perspective.

On the bubble:

Beauharnais, Steve
Bequette, Jake
Bolden, Brandon
Buchanan, Michael
Cunningham, Jermaine
Develin, James
Ebner, Nate
Hoomanawanui, Michael
Rivera, Mike

Potential surprise cuts:

Washington, Leon
Wilson, Adrian

Potential practice squad candidates:

Beauharnais
Bequette
Buchanan
Kline
McDonald
Sims
Tarpinian

Official Website of the New England Patriots | Team - Players
Good list/predictions, ATippett56.

Do you believe they keep Develin at FB. They've used him quite a bit more than I expected this preseason. It could be a sign that they want to incorporate a pure FB into the offense. Or am I just reading too much into things as it relates to first team reps distribution?

Do you believe they keep Develin at FB. They've used him quite a bit more than I expected this preseason. It could be a sign that they want to incorporate a pure FB into the offense. Or am I just reading too much into things as it relates to first team reps distribution?
Hard to say anything with regard to Develin vis-a-vis Hoomanawanui, since I view these two fighting for potentially one roster spot. Thursday night's game may provide more insight into the final roster spots. Regardless, Develin versus Hoomanawanui just may be the last slot on the final roster.

I don't know if Tavon Wilson has "regressed considerably" we have not seen him play in a real game yet but I think a lot of us I am one of them have are hopes set to high for this kid because he had nice stats as a rookie,

he started 4 games last year not because he was playing at a higher leve then all of the other safetys on the roster but because Steve Gregory was injured for the 4 games that he started BOTTOM LINE is maybe that's all he will ever be is a nice back up that dose not mean he regressed and is only making the team because he was drafted in the 2th round. he's good dept that cant all be starters

T. Wilson CAN cover TEs and RBs out of the backfield. That counts for a lot. His main problem appears to be failing to account for the deep part of the field. Simple solution is do not give him that responsibility.

This is as good a list as any, certainly a solid set of choices.

Personally, I would keep Cunningham and Rivera over Buchanan and Beauharnais. Also, I suspect that we will cut more than 22 from the current roster by Saturday night. We badly need a DT.

Who stays? Who gets the axe? Any surprise cuts?

My prediction cuts:

Tim Tebow
Ben Bartholomew
George Winn
Michael Hoomanawanui
Quentin Sims
Johnathan Haggerty
Chris McDonald
Josh Kline
Luke Patterson
Jermaine Cunningham
Jake Bequette
Joe Vellano
Scott Vallone
Gilbert Peña
Jeff Tarpinian
Mike Rivera
Ja'Gared Davis
Nate Ebner
Kanorris Davis
Justin Green
Stephon Morris
Ryan Allen

I think you are. Develin hasn't done anything to indicate he will stick.

Considering that he wasn't on even my prediction list, the majority of this post is redundant. Why you or anyone else feels the need to continuously nitpick and cheery pick about this is beyond me. And if he was on the list it would be because he deserved to be so (he does in isolation based on this year so far). As stated above, the reason why he isn't on my list is because they don't have anyone better right now (they all stink), which in and of itself is a going to be a problem going forward.

You made the comment bud, not me....If you see the bolded part above, that is what I responded to.

Agree with it/don't agree with it, but don't shoot the messenger.

Hard to say anything with regard to Develin vis-a-vis Hoomanawanui, since I view these two fighting for potentially one roster spot. Thursday night's game may provide more insight into the final roster spots. Regardless, Develin versus Hoomanawanui just may be the last slot on the final roster.
I agree with you here. I think it will come down to economics in that case. Develin of course would have the advantage there too. Hoomanawanui hasn't really show much to lead me to believe he's way above James.

I don't know if Tavon Wilson has "regressed considerably" we have not seen him play in a real game yet but I think a lot of us I am one of them have are hopes set to high for this kid because he had nice stats as a rookie,

he started 4 games last year not because he was playing at a higher leve then all of the other safetys on the roster but because Steve Gregory was injured for the 4 games that he started BOTTOM LINE is maybe that's all he will ever be is a nice back up that dose not mean he regressed and is only making the team because he was drafted in the 2th round. he's good dept that cant all be starters
I think you could make the case that he has regressed. He looked better last season than he does now. For second year player that's problematic as you're supposed to get better in year 2, not worse.

T. Wilson CAN cover TEs and RBs out of the backfield. That counts for a lot. His main problem appears to be failing to account for the deep part of the field. Simple solution is do not give him that responsibility.
This might have true based on last season's play. At the outset of last season I thought he would develop a lot more than he has to this point. He looks like he has taken a course in the Steve Gregory school of geometry and angles. It's disappointing because I was in his corner when a lot of others were not, but his play this year leaves a lot to be desired.

It could all be an issue with his confidence - he was never a very instinctive player to begin with. His troubles seem to be that he's overthinking rather than just reading-and-reacting, like a good safety should. Due to this, his coverage skills to me have regressed from last year to now.

Simply put 2012 Wilson > 2013 Wilson from what has been put on tape so far.

Also, I suspect that we will cut more than 22 from the current roster by Saturday night. We badly need a DT.
Indeed. I was thinking the same thing when I compiled the list yesterday. I think there's a low percentage chance that they don't add a DT from someone else's final cuts. That too me is the thinnest position on the roster.

I'm not a huge fan of Cunningham because of his unreliability, but I could see why he'd make the squad too especially if they need an interior DE rusher on passing downs.

I think you are. Develin hasn't done anything to indicate he will stick.
Neither has Hoomanawanui. And like ATippett56 stated, the both of them could be battling for one roster spot. Economics could play a part in that decision. I'd give Develin the slight edge all things considered.

Agreed. We are very unlikely to keep both. They are fighting for, at most, one roster spot. To put it another way, should Devlin make the roster as one of our whatever number of RB's, then I don't think that we would keep Hooman.

There is an outside POSSIBILITY. If Ballard and Fells are BOTH cut, then Hooman would make the team as the 3rd TE, regardless of what happened to Devlin.

Neither has Hoomanawanui. And like ATippett56 stated, the both of them could be battling for one roster spot. Economics could play a part in that decision. I'd give Develin the slight edge all things considered.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back