Welcome to PatsFans.com

FILM REVIEW FROM NFP - TD To Walker wasn't Dennard's fault

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Ian, Dec 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ian

Ian Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +194 / 2 / -1

#17 Jersey

2. skspikex2

skspikex2 Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

#22 Jersey

Dennard got hang out to dry on that play. Hard to blame anyone who have to cover 2 players going deep.
  3. Pats-Phan

Pats-Phan Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Credit where credit is do. 49ers had the right play called and executed it well. Impressive play by Kapernick moving McCourty and then making a long, accurate throw.
  4. DaBruinz

DaBruinz Pats, B's, Sox PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +207 / 16 / -38

#50 Jersey

Mentioned this in the Post Game thread that Dennard wasn't at fault. Can't pass 2 guys back to a single guy and expect that guy to handle them both. Especially when one is Vernon Davis.
  5. hovis

hovis Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Interesting breakdown. I wonder if McCourty's decision to focus on Moss was a pure misread or the result of a coaching point to focus on him.
  6. Triumph

Triumph Rookie

Ratings:
    +90 / 22 / -12

#32 Jersey

I only count 1 safety.

The Pats are screwed either way even if McCourty covers Davis, Every WR/TE has single coverage.
  7. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +730 / 44 / -47

Disable Jersey

I don't mean this to be snarky, but was there anyone who was blaming Dennard? I hadn't seen any threads like that.
  8. Brady_to_Moss

Brady_to_Moss Revis Island is here PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +214 / 3 / -1

#95 Jersey

i didn't see 1 person blame him
  9. BradyBranch39

BradyBranch39 Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

But if McCourty covers Davis, Dennard can decisively cover Walker without having to worry "What if I leave Davis?".

Then the decision isn't so easy for Colin "I have started 18 quarters in my pro career" Kaepernick.
  10. Triumph

Triumph Rookie

Ratings:
    +90 / 22 / -12

#32 Jersey

I understand that, but single coverage is what NFL QBs look for. With only 3 back and 8 at the LOS the Pats are clearly in the wrong defense.

McCourty on Davis is a mismatch.
  11. BlueThunder

BlueThunder PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

#24 Jersey

Nobody blamed Dennard because it was obvious that the Pats were in Patricia's famous Can't Cover Two coverage. :rolleyes:
  12. patfanken

patfanken On the Roster

Ratings:
    +260 / 14 / -8

#91 Jersey

This would be an insightful comment......except they WEREN'T. :rolleyes: They were in a cover 3. And the reason they were in a cover 3 instead of the cover 2 was that that a cover 3 is designed to better defend against deep strikes by the offense.

This is not to say that the play wasn't well designed and executed. But believe me, when they went over this in the film room. it should have been pointed out to Dennard that he STILL made a critical mistake on this play. In cover 3 he is responsible for his deep third. Part of that responsibility is that you don't let a receiver get deeper than you. So even if you want to give Dennard a pass because he was drawn in toward Davis; he STILL have to chastise him for NOT getting enough depth on this play. If he had gotten enough depth, then he would have had a shot at recovering when Kaepernick turned to his side.

So while I see the point Ian is making in this thread, it still doesn't absolve Dennard for making the fundamental error of not getting enough depth in his drop;
  13. Sfpat

Sfpat Rookie

Ratings:
    +15 / 2 / -0

#80 Jersey

I fixed it for you.

I believe all of the TD's and long passes happened when the Pats were in zone. They did well when playing man.
  14. BlueThunder

BlueThunder PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

#24 Jersey

My comment was meant TIC. Dennard is a rookie and made a mistake that we all hope is a learning experience and doesn't happen again.

OT questions: Is Gregory going to make next season's roster? Same with Ras I. :confused:
  15. Triumph

Triumph Rookie

Ratings:
    +90 / 22 / -12

#32 Jersey

Either way it was going to be a big play for SF.

TD? No, but definitely 1st and goal. Kapernick only completed 15 passes and had 4 TDs. He was in deep strike heaven.
  16. patfanken

patfanken On the Roster

Ratings:
    +260 / 14 / -8

#91 Jersey

I don't "blame" Dennard, because what he did was a typical rookie mistake. Especially one that would be made by someone who excels at man to man coverage. BUT it was a mistake nonetheless. Over time the hope would be that he will make it fewer and fewer times during his career with the Pats, because at this point, he looks like he was the steal of the draft....even with the rookie mistakes
  17. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +730 / 44 / -47

Disable Jersey

Dennard's initial play was fine. McCourty was the problem, and that hung Dennard out to dry. He had no shot. The tape verifies that.
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  18. patfanken

patfanken On the Roster

Ratings:
    +260 / 14 / -8

#91 Jersey

But he might have had a shot IF, he had originally gained enough depth. The even though he was sucked to the inside by the Davis route, he could have at least been in position to recover and make a play on the ball.

What isn't commented on in the article and what we see in the pictures is not only was he looking inside because of McCourty's move toward Moss, but he let Walker get 10 yds behind him because he stopped gaining depth.
  19. Triumph

Triumph Rookie

Ratings:
    +90 / 22 / -12

#32 Jersey

Dennard may have gambled that Kapernick would see Vern Davis as his second read and Walker last since Moss was his first read.

This season would be depressing knowing that the pass defense wasnt any better than the last few seasons and that another secondary collapse in the post season was likely. Dennard has that Rodney Harrison air about him like hes not taking anybodys crap. Talib and Dennard are good enough to win a Championship IMO.
  20. NSPF

NSPF Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

And then Davis scores a touchdown instead of Walker, what's your point?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.