PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ESPN's NFL Live: Vikings, Seahawks Discussing Branch

Status
Not open for further replies.

QB12

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
On today's NFL Live, Michael Smith said the Vikings and Seahawks are having "internal discussions" regarding acquiring Deion Branch. No word whether either would be making a proposal, let alone one that the Pats might find attractive.

QB12

I'm sure every team is having "internal" discussions if it's even remotely possible to get him.

Indeed, Branch would add almost as much to those clubs ...
as he shall to ours.

Please...one day and its all done and finished and we see what happens from there.

After hearing this, and putting it in conjunction with this thread here

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showpost.php?p=168660&postcount=1

were Kraft says
“What you have to do is figure out what resolution and optimism mean to you,” Kraft said. “All of us know what we’d prefer to see happen. We’ll wait and see what happens.”

I think Branch will indeed be traded! :(

And for some reason I have a feeling the Pats will trade a 4th to the skins for Patten if that does happen!

QB12 said:
On today's NFL Live, Michael Smith said the Vikings and Seahawks are having "internal discussions" regarding acquiring Deion Branch. No word whether either would be making a proposal, let alone one that the Pats might find attractive.

QB12

I wouldn't be surprised that there were many nfl teams having "internal discussions" regarding the Branch situation :cool: (yes, I'm ignoring the acquiring Deion part!).
Perhaps Kraft and Bioli have opened a few eyes on an alternative way to handle a vet hold-out.

sarge said:
I think Branch will indeed be traded! :(

And for some reason I have a feeling the Pats will trade a 4th to the skins for Patten if that does happen!

Sarge - I'm sorry to say that your post has a ring of truth to it. I read it and have a sense of forboding because I don't want to lose Branch.

And perhaps to allow for the possibility that he will be traded, the Pats set a deadline of 9/1 to allow them (the Pats) to pull the trigger on a deal they perhaps already have in reserve - for instance with the Skins for Patten.

QB12

Last edited:
I hope this thing is like taxes. You have until midnight tommorow.

Seahawks ... If they got the cash and can up with the picks ... they would
be crazy not to try. It is not easy going all the way. Hawks are close.
Having Branch would get give them the best shot this year. If they don't
make it this year they may begin to slide. Holmgren isn't going to be there for ever.
Big price to pay but ....
is it really that big if you bring home the Lombardi?

Vikes I think would be crazy to do it .. i don't think they are that close.

At this point both sides just want a resolution so they can move on.
Any decent offer from PATs' perspective and Branch's perspective is a done
deal. IMO. :(

Last edited:
Wait, I missed the part where the 'Skins were interested. It said Vikings and Seahawks. Plus Patten and a Fourth would be a crappy deal to me. I'd take no less then a 2nd and Patten or a 1st regardless if no one would do it, I want Deion back too. It was many days ago when reports said Branch was interested in the 'Hawks and Vikes by KFFL. Plus the 'Skins already overpayed two recievers this off season and they barely have any draft picks to give to us. They might have two picks top left.

QB12 said:
Sarge - I'm sorry to say that your post has a ring of truth to it. I read it and have a sense of forboding because I don't want to lose Branch.

And perhaps to allow for the possibility that he will be traded, the Pats set a deadline of 9/1 to allow them (the Pats) to pull the trigger on a deal they perhaps already have in reserve - for instance with the Skins for Patten.

QB12

Trust me, i really hope I am wrong.

But if I am right about Branch, then I hope I am also right about Patten (or some other servicable blue collar receiver, but preferably Patten).

But if you read Kraft's statement, at the very least he seems to 100% believe that there will be closure this Friday.

And since I don't believe there will be closure with Deion having to playout his contract as is, he is either getting traded or taking an offer from the Pats IMO.

And by the way Kraft says “What you have to do is figure out what resolution and optimism mean to you,”, I'm thinking it's going to be the former rather then the latter!

Kdo5 said:
Wait, I missed the part where the 'Skins were interested. It said Vikings and Seahawks. Plus Patten and a Fourth would be a crappy deal to me. I'd take no less then a 2nd and Patten or a 1st regardless if no one would do it, I want Deion back too. It was many days ago when reports said Branch was interested in the 'Hawks and Vikes by KFFL. Plus the 'Skins already overpayed two recievers this off season and they barely have any draft picks to give to us. They might have two picks top left.

I think you missunderstood me.

I don't think the Pats will trade Deion to the Skins.

I think it will most likely be the Vikings.

But I think if that trade goes down, the Pats will try to swing a trade with the Skins for Patten and a fourth. This is just pure crazy speculation on my part. But what the hell :)

sarge said:
I think you missunderstood me.

I don't think the Pats will trade Deion to the Skins.

I think it will most likely be the Vikings.

But I think if that trade goes down, the Pats will try to swing a trade with the Skins for Patten and a fourth. This is just pure crazy speculation on my part. But what the hell :)
Yeah but if we can just hope no offer is given to Deion by the deadline tommorow(what times the deadline?)then I'll be somewhat happy. I dont think Holmgren will overpay him. With see about Childress though he has been working out some other recievers at their camp from what I know. Maybe the teams dont think they have a shot at Deion because they dont want to negotiate with the Pats? I dont think the 'Skins even have a 4th rounder left. All that I am sure about it they have a First rounder which is pointless to get because you'd have to switch places with the Broncos in certain scenarios.

And since I don't believe there will be closure with Deion having to playout his contract as is, he is either getting traded or taking an offer from the Pats IMO.

I don't have any problem with keeping the little weasel under his current deal. Heck, this year at $1 million, next year at $7 million. That's an average of $4 million a year with absolutely zero injury risk for the team.

Send him across the middle, use him up, and throw him away after two more seasons when he's approaching 30 years old.

If that's the way he wants it, why not? It's a bargain for the Pats. They'll have gotten six decent years of production from a 2nd round pick. Hard to complain about that.

Last edited:
Kdo5 said:
Yeah but if we can just hope no offer is given to Deion by the deadline tommorow(what times the deadline?)then I'll be somewhat happy.
I'm hoping for that bigtime!!!!

Kdo5 said:
I dont think the 'Skins even have a 4th rounder left.
Right. And my point is that I could see the Pats a 4th round pick to the Skins for Patten

Kdo5 said:
All that I am sure about it they have a First rounder which is pointless to get because you'd have to switch places with the Broncos in certain scenarios.

You lost me there.

Re: Vikings, Seahawks Discussing Branch - What would you take?

Kdo5 said:

Curious what people think of this scenario.
Is a 1st rounder from Seattle (likely pick 27-32 of round 1) or a 2nd from the Vikings (likely pick 33-42 of round 2) enough compensation? If Seattle calls the Pat's and bluff offers a 1st and a big contract to Branch and the Pats and then turn it down it could mean no 83 until week 10....

An additional first rounder would help up for the future but doesn't help for this year and the Pats lose one more year of Brady is his prime... I lot to think about...

sarge said:
I'm hoping for that bigtime!!!!

Right. And my point is that I could see the Pats a 4th round pick to the Skins for Patten

You lost me there.
I think I misunderstood you, I thought you meant the Patriots would try to trade Branch for a Redskins fourth rounder and Patten. I was wrong there, sorry.

Kdo5 said:
I think I misunderstood you, I thought you meant the Patriots would try to trade Branch for a Redskins fourth rounder and Patten. I was wrong there, sorry.

I would barf all over my computer if that happened!

I honestly dont think there's a downside for the team. The only lose-lose situation is if Branch holds out until Week 10-- he does nothing good to his reputation as a player, and the team loses out on him.

But, other than that, there are three outcomes, all good for the Pats:

(1) He comes back to play out the last year of his current contract.

(2) He signs the three or five year extension on terms that BB/SP are willing to accept

(3) He is traded to another team for at least a first round pick

Truly, I continue to believe the most likely alternative is (1).

Even with all the posturing, I think all Branch's agent bought his client by holding out all this time is the right to seek a trade for one week. I think that concession was made with a quid pro quo: if you cant find a better deal, your client will report to camp and stop this nonsense.

rookBoston said:
I honestly dont think there's a downside for the team. The only lose-lose situation is if Branch holds out until Week 10-- he does nothing good to his reputation as a player, and the team loses out on him.

But, other than that, there are three outcomes, all good for the Pats:

(1) He comes back to play out the last year of his current contract.

(2) He signs the three or five year extension on terms that BB/SP are willing to accept

(3) He is traded to another team for at least a first round pick

Truly, I continue to believe the most likely alternative is (1).

Even with all the posturing, I think all Branch's agent bought his client by holding out all this time is the right to seek a trade for one week. I think that concession was made with a quid pro quo: if you cant find a better deal, your client will report to camp and stop this nonsense.

I highly, highly doubt #1 happens until the Pats agree not to franchise him. I think we have a Joey Galloway situation in the making

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft