PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ESPN's First Power Ranking of the Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
The widely-accepted "defending champion deserves to be number 1 in power rankings" is a subjective bias that sort of defeats the whole purpose of objective 'power rankings' (If one can call power rankings objective to begin with). The Steelers were the champions of the 2008 NFL season. Then there was free agency, the draft, coaching changes, Tom Brady's recuperation, etc. Whether or not they won the last game played last season is irrelevant to objectively rating the NFL as it exists moving forward. I don't see how one can mount a defense against that.

Say the Steelers win their first 3 games by hairs. Tennessee seems like a quality win at the moment. Chicago and Cincinatti are likely mediocre teams. Assume Carolina also starts 3-0 against Philadelphia, Atlanta, and Dallas and wins each game by a touchdown or more. Doesn't giving the Steelers the benefit of the doubt as the #1 seem logically wrong? That's just hypothetical. I don't give a rat's ass about Pittsburgh or Carolina.

My point is, what is the purpose of objective power rankings if you're going to let something that has nothing to do with the "here and now, moving forward" decide your top spot? The Steelers won the 2009 Super Bowl, not the mythical 2009 Power Rankings championship.

My own subjective bias says that getting exposed by a wide-open offense that zips short slants and the such on national television before barely defeating a 9-7 team from the junior circuit should draw more questions than laurels. After all, they might have to go through Indy and New England to even get back to the Super Bowl.

The widely-accepted "defending champion deserves to be number 1 in power rankings" is a subjective bias that sort of defeats the whole purpose of objective 'power rankings' (If one can call power rankings objective to begin with). The Steelers were the champions of the 2008 NFL season. Then there was free agency, the draft, coaching changes, Tom Brady's recuperation, etc. Whether or not they won the last game played last season is irrelevant to objectively rating the NFL as it exists moving forward. I don't see how one can mount a defense against that.

Say the Steelers win their first 3 games by hairs. Tennessee seems like a quality win at the moment. Chicago and Cincinatti are likely mediocre teams. Assume Carolina also starts 3-0 against Philadelphia, Atlanta, and Dallas and wins each game by a touchdown or more. Doesn't giving the Steelers the benefit of the doubt as the #1 seem logically wrong? That's just hypothetical. I don't give a rat's ass about Pittsburgh or Carolina.

My point is, what is the purpose of objective power rankings if you're going to let something that has nothing to do with the "here and now, moving forward" decide your top spot? The Steelers won the 2009 Super Bowl, not the mythical 2009 Power Rankings championship.

My own subjective bias says that getting exposed by a wide-open offense that zips short slants and the such on national television before barely defeating a 9-7 team from the junior circuit should draw more questions than laurels. After all, they might have to go through Indy and New England to even get back to the Super Bowl.

Although I agree with you that many have a Super Bowl Champ bias when it comes to Power Rankings, I think you can make a very reasonable case for the Steelers as #1. I think you can also make a very reasonable case for the Patriots to be lower than #1 or #2 given the huge turnover in their defense and the questions to be answered.

the steelers at #1 they won the SB and all there key players are comeing back

but i seen some people get mad cause the pats are only number 2 if it was not for brady they would not even be ranked in the top 15

there D was not that good last year and they lost there best S from last year there best LB there best CB and there best DL

but thats why its just a power ranking it meens noting the steeler may go 10-6 and lose in the first round of the playoffs and the pats may win it all who knows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye