PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ESPN's 2007 FA List

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ochmed -
You do realize that both Gaffney and Gabriel are signed through the 2007 season, yes? Why would the Pats cut them when they have them on the cheap and they are both able to play.

Also, I don't see Bam making this team. Regardless of whether Troy retires.

I don't see them being cut either, at least until training camp and at one should make the team. I also think it is doubtful that they sign two FA receivers. Based on the juniors that declare this could be a very strong draft year for WRs and I think they need more than just a bunch of possession WRs.

Despite other needs if a player the Ginn (OSU) or Meachem (Tenn.) are available in round 1 it is not out of the question to see another high pick on a WR

I don't see them being cut either, at least until training camp and at one should make the team. I also think it is doubtful that they sign two FA receivers. Based on the juniors that declare this could be a very strong draft year for WRs and I think they need more than just a bunch of possession WRs.

Despite other needs if a player the Ginn (OSU) or Meachem (Tenn.) are available in round 1 it is not out of the question to see another high pick on a WR

doubt it, we need lb's and db's....we're set for wr's for at least one more year, if not, sign one

I would hope that we go for either Briggs or Adalius Thomas. Both those guys would shore up our defense incredibly. I'd really like to see one of those guys signed. I'd like to see both of them signed actually, but that'll probably be too expensive.

I would hope that we go for either Briggs or Adalius Thomas. Both those guys would shore up our defense incredibly. I'd really like to see one of those guys signed. I'd like to see both of them signed actually, but that'll probably be too expensive.

both signed? then who starts?

OLB- Briggs, Colvin, Vrabel, Thomas
ILB- Bruschi,Vrabel,Thomas?

theres an oddman out somewhere..

both signed? then who starts?

OLB- Briggs, Colvin, Vrabel, Thomas
ILB- Bruschi,Vrabel,Thomas?

theres an oddman out somewhere..

I thought Briggs was an ILB? He could play beside Bruschi. Thomas may be versatile enough to play either position although he has mostly been used on the outside.

I don't think the will sign either guy but having an extra LB is not an issue. They did it in the past with great success. It beats being deathly thin...

ILB - T Johnson, Bruschi, Phifer
OLB - Colvin, MiGinest, Vrabel

Last edited:
You better re-sign your own guys, because this offseason there are going to be a lot of teams with a lot of money.

The bump in the salary cap under the new CBA caught many teams by surprise -- they planned more conservatively following several years where many teams had been burned by salary cap constraints. After a decade where most teams entered the offseason well over the cap, and were forced to release good players earning too much money, teams adjusted and entered the last offseason with some cap space.

Then they got the huge increase in the cap with the new CBA.

Now most teams are well under the cap for next year, many $20 or even $30 million under the cap. Everyone will assume that all the other teams will drive up prices for free agents, so I imagine most teams will scramble to try to re-sign their own players while they can.

There's no reason for many of the players on that list to hit free agency.

The Patriots either need to re-adjust their player value profiles, based on the new cap, or accept that their better players will simply leave each offseason.

Under the new cap environment, Asante Samuel is a $6mm+ per year player, who should anticipate a $10-12mm signing bonus. He should easily get a $35-40mm deal on the open market. The Patriots need to accept that, and make a big offer soon, or else see what guys like Ray Mickens can do.

You really can't build a list saying:
I'd like to get Nate Clements, Lance Briggs, Cato June, and Adalius Thomas. Their respective teams should have plenty of space to re-sign them, and if any reach free agency the demand for them will be intense.

I thought Briggs was an ILB? He could play beside Bruschi. Thomas may be versatile enough to play either position although he has mostly been used on the outside.

I don't think the will sign either guy but having an extra LB is not an issue. They did it in the past with great success. It beats being deathly thin...

ILB - T Johnson, Bruschi, Phifer
OLB - Colvin, MiGinest, Vrabel

no Briggs is an OLB and Thomas can play just about any position..DE-ILB-OLB-Safety but hes been outside in Baltimore mostly

it might not have been an issue but then again now your talking about 2 pro bowlers coming in..Bruschi is a pro bowler too..Colvin could be..and same with Vrabel. u dont need to pay that much for a set of LBs..and why rotate them when Briggs is in his prime and Thomas is aswell

either 1 will do

Colvin-Vrabel-Bruschi-Thomas/Briggs

as far as secondary..i wouldnt overpay for Clements..if he can come for a good price i'll take him but not top money..not more than Samuel. id like to see us get a safety like Gibril Wilson(RFA) or Ken Hamlin

Last edited:
If Briggs is an OLB then he is no good for the Pats, I think he is only listed at 240. That is way too small for an OLB in the 3-4. Thomas is interesting but I don't see the Pats making a move.

I am getting less excited about the Pats offseason free agency splurge, no reason to think that it will be any different than other years where they don't chase any one player and systematically bring in a few mid tier guys to round out the roster. Drafting will be very important as players will stay with their original teams longer, luckily for us the Pats are good at drafting.

LB - Get ready to hear names like Gardner, EJ Henderson, Kawika Mitchell, Antwan Peek, TBC, Seau. One of them can start at ILB or provide backup at OLB and hopefully we draft some players in rounds 2-5 to back them up.

CB - Don't think Clements or Samuel will be on the 07 roster, names we may hear Gay, Rod Hood, Michael Lewis, Hamlin. Expect a CB to be taken in rounds 1 or 2.

TE - Man, if Graham could just stay healthy he would be worth signing but this one can go either way.

WR - Maybe someone like Curtis is brought in but more than likely any improvements will occur via the draft. It should be a strong year for WR if the juniors come out.

Other than that maybe they do something creative and trade for a veteran (Keth Bulluck would be pretty sweet) They have a solid core at QB, RB, OL, DL and will keep adding to the base each year, same old, same old.

no Briggs is an OLB and Thomas can play just about any position..DE-ILB-OLB-Safety but hes been outside in Baltimore mostly

it might not have been an issue but then again now your talking about 2 pro bowlers coming in..Bruschi is a pro bowler too..Colvin could be..and same with Vrabel. u dont need to pay that much for a set of LBs..and why rotate them when Briggs is in his prime and Thomas is aswell

either 1 will do

Colvin-Vrabel-Bruschi-Thomas/Briggs

as far as secondary..i wouldnt overpay for Clements..if he can come for a good price i'll take him but not top money..not more than Samuel. id like to see us get a safety like Gibril Wilson(RFA) or Ken Hamlin

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick