PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ESPN Writer Compares Greg Hardy Supporters To Patriots Fans Who Defended Tom Brady In DeflateGate

Status
Not open for further replies.
There were a lot of posts defending Aaron Hernandez. I don't feel like digging them up, but we have our jackasses, too.

There might have been posts before all the information came out but once it did and he got arrested there were very few people defending him.

When I heard about this, I was amazed that Lewis had willingly opened himself to questioning on this topic, which most people have just allowed to recede into the background for lack of a conviction. It suggests to me that he is either:
a) As innocent as he claims to be.
b) In complete denial over what happened and has convinced himself that he is innocent.
c) Someone who believes that you can indeed "fool all of the people all of the time" and sees this as chance to make a buck without any risk.

I'd bet on either b) or c), but don't buy a) for a minute.

EDIT: this is out of context, since it refers to an interview with Ray Lewis, reported in this morning's MMQB. I mixed up my bad guys. :)
Minnesota Vikings grab share of NFC North lead; NFL Week 9 review | The MMQB with Peter King

Last edited:
There were a lot of posts defending Aaron Hernandez. I don't feel like digging them up, but we have our jackasses, too.
I think people were being hopeful that he wasn't involved. I don't think anyone supported him once he was arrested and certainly not after he was found guilty. I thought he was gonna get off on a technicality because they had no gun (wasn't rooting for this, but we've all seen OJ be found not guilty even though he was guilty as sin), and I didn't think his friends would rat on him. But the other evidence was pretty damned strong.

There might have been posts before all the information came out but once it did and he got arrested there were very few people defending him.
There were people defending him after all of the info came out, too. Saying Odin Lloyd was as much at fault, that the evidence was all circumstantial and proved nothing, etc. I know this because I spent dozens of posts arguing with them.

All I'm saying is that we can't pretend our whole fanbase is sainted. Jesus, just yesterday (day before, maybe) we had at least two people either defending Greg Hardy or attacking the victim.

I wonder if the person who made this comparison would be willing to be exposed to each of these equally:

1. Person blows on you as if whistling
2. Person beats the living crap out of you

I didn't defend Hernandez as much as I just didn't believe someone could be that stupid. Rent a car, shoot your buddy less than a mile from your house and leave the car at the scene etc... I figured one of his cronies did it at first and he was at most complicate in a cover up. I was wrong for giving humanity too much credit.

You're right.

I had just finished reading the MMQB discussion of an interview with Ray Lewis on his new book and I must have mixed up my bad guys since I was in a hurry. (Full link below)

"It’s always interesting that the first thing people go to is they always say, ‘You were charged with double murder,’” Lewis told Greene. “But nobody ever wants to say that from day one there was not one inch of evidence on me. I hear people bring up Atlanta like, ‘Oh Atlanta is supposed to scare me.’ Atlanta doesn’t scare me, Atlanta wakes me up, only to realize that first of all, put your trust in no man, and second of all, you don’t ever have to live like you are guilty when you know you are innocent.”

"Greene pointed out there were some facts missing from the re-telling of the story in Lewis’ book. “You’re only talking about facts that was already [thrown out] of the case 100 percent,” Lewis said. “ … So you talk about blood, but we’re not talking about the facts, because you are only coming from the perspective … because you don’t have a clue what happened that night! So when you ask someone—”

"Interrupted Greene: “Many of your fans read some of that stuff, like, ‘Blood found in Ray Lewis limo.’ Do you feel like you offered enough details in this book to really explain?”​

Minnesota Vikings grab share of NFC North lead; NFL Week 9 review | The MMQB with Peter King

Why do we care about what ESPN thinks?

It's like caring what ISIS things about Americans. Who gives a F?

When truth takes a beating, we all lose so I am in the camp for exposing and fighting against ESPN's lies and spin in all possible ways.

Furthermore, she assumes that all Cowboys' fans will support their team no matter what. Perhaps some will, but I have friends who are Cowboys fans that still love their team, but hate Hardy and think Jerruh has totally messed up here.

FWIW, I checked out a Cowboys forum after the photos were released. The overwhelming sentiment was that Hardy was the innocent victim of the woman's abuse, and that the mere "mosquito bites" on her body were proof that she wasn't really attacked by a big strong guy.

yup.....I was like 'please don't be true'

A shame Hernandez didnt mess up one more time. He easily could have been and almost was cut before the **** hit the fan.

Multiple sources state that Belichick exploded and threatened Hernandez with being cut if there was one more incident. This was over a domestic disturbance that did not result in an arrest.

Last edited:
Jane McManus

✔@janesports

My point was that fans defend teams, which makes it problematic to set up a fanbase to defend a player like Hardy by hiring him.​

There's nothing wrong with her saying this, she is right; there are a lot of fans who blindly defend the team despite facts. You even see it here. Her comparison to the Patriots is off base, but her underlying point is true.

I understand the point she was making but it was an awful analogy to use.

And I don't agree with it anyway, I think a lot of fans won't always blindly wave their pom poms for the team regardless of circumstance.

Well Jane McManus to ESPN is kind of like Goebbels with Hitler.

And don't try to misuse my words!!!!!!! ;)

Seriously, for someone who is paid to COMMUNICATE, Jane McManus really screwed that one up eggregiously. I've read her stuff before and she's way smarter than that. I'll chalk that up to someone being interviewed before they are totally awake.

It's always the later cover-up that makes it all worse, and from the after-tweets, she seems to be hellbent on making the classic mistake.

Furthermore, she assumes that all Cowboys' fans will support their team no matter what. Perhaps some will, but I have friends who are Cowboys fans that still love their team, but hate Hardy and think Jerruh has totally messed up here.

I've been following the Hardy situation in the Dallas Morning News and I can verify you are 100% correct - - there is a SIGNIFICANT amount of Cowboy fans who are deadset against Gregg Hardy.

Jane McManus only needs to take 5 minutes to look this stuff up, but that would necessitate her being inquisitive enough about the situation to do so. But she works for ESPN, so why even bother?

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes