PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ESPN Radio report Pats have signed SEYMOUR!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey lets stay on topic here.
The Pats are cheap! They don't know what they are doing. BB and Pioli are arrogant @$$holes who think they can just coach up anybody and win.
I mean can you belive they didn't give Vinatieri what he wanted?
Thank God we have dilligent and competent media people covering this team.

Sey is smart. Makes a big killing now, but still young enough for another big Pay Day in five years. Good deal all the way around.

Odlirama said:
Thank God we have dilligent and competent media people covering this team.
Sure, those two Vinatieri articles from Felger seem real relevant now.

So based on the rules, it's an extension with new money starting in 2007, correct. Seymour's 2006 cap figure stays right where it is, keeping the Pats still pretty well under the '06 cap?

This is fantastic news. We could still extend Branch with some up front dough OR go after another pretty big name, right?

How about a sweet deal for Law with some upfront money? I'd be all for that.

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:singing: :rocker:

BelichickFan said:
Sure, those two Vinatieri articles from Felger seem real relevant now.

You've got it all wrong. Kickers that are 34 years old and who are involved in about 40 meaningful snaps all year are CRITICAL. Defensive linemen who are in their mid-20s, have multiple pro bowl appearances and play 1,000 snaps a year are easily replaced.

Or something. I guess... I've never understood the whole group seppuku over AV thing...

Amnorix said:
Defensive linemen who are in their mid-20s, have multiple pro bowl appearances and play 1,000 snaps a year are easily replaced.
You're right, why re-sign Seymour when we could just draft another just like him . . . :)

Glad to hear the news (see what happens when you try to get work done???)

Reiss has it as well...This is GREAT NEWS!!! I mean great!! I have been worried about RS and the Pats and..it got done!! I know I have been worried..did NOT think it ipossible OR...but Pats have RS GREAT!! This really is the big offseason move!!

What a shame Seymour doesn't like playing here and is still upset about not starting after his grandfather died and it's also too bad he doesn't like BB.

So much for people telling us how Richard feels.

(the sarcasm is intended)

Miguel said:
I guess that it was possible to redo Seymour's contract before August.;)

No way to be sure what the nitty details are that allow this now, but here was my take previously that an extension was not prohibited or even a renegotiation under specific conditions:

arrellbee said:
Contracts and agreements revolve around very precise language and terms (or the lack thereof where things end up in front of arbitrators and courts). The ProFootballTalk rumor text substitutes the word 'wages' for the actual word in the CBA which is 'salary'. 'Wages' has no definition in the CBA and is a meaningless term. In terms of a possible Seymour extension, it is also potentially very pertinent to note that it refers to a 'renegotiation' and leaves out the action of 'extension' which are most likely NOT the same. And it prohibits a renegotiation where the 'salary' increases. Salary is a specific technical term and does not mean 'salary cap' - so this could imply that a renegotiation where 'salary' does not increase for already covered years but signing bonuses do could be done without a year's delay. I think Shefter of NFL network and even his NFL home office 'source' may not have the straight of it. Only the attorneys in the NFL office and the NFLPA office would be in a position to define what the CBA terminology actually means - and even they could very well disagree.

So don't be surprised either way - whether an extension for Seymour is done before the 'year' is up or after that. Presuming that the Patriots could even come to terms with Seymour on an extension.

The CBA text was quoted in another thread, but I'll do it again here in an excerpted form (bold emphasis is mine):
Section 9. Renegotiations and Extensions: Provided that all Salary Cap requirements are met, Player Contracts for current and future years may be renegotiated and/or extended except as follows:
(a) The contract of a Veteran Player may not be renegotiated to increase the Salary to be paid to the player during the original terms of the contract for a period of twelve months after the player’s most recent contract renegotiation. The first renegotiation of a Veteran Player Contract, however, may take place at any time.
(b) ...
(c) ...
(d) ...
(e) ....
* No Player Contract, and no contract renegotiation or extension, may be agreed to between a Player and a Club for any term that expires prior to the last day of a League Year. All rights by a player to terminate a Player Contract must be exercised prior to the first day of any League Year to be terminated.
*Side Letter 10/21/96: Sec. 6
Note that the asterisked paragraph from the Side Letter DOES include BOTH terms 'renegotiation' and 'extension' whereas 9(a) does not.

From Perillo:

The deal had yet to be announced officially but it’s believed to be a four-year extension that will keep the three-time All-Pro defensive end in a Patriots uniform through 2010. Seymour was entering the final season of his six-year rookie deal and was set to earn a base salary of $2.020 million in 2006. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.

---
You know Tedy and Wilfork have big-ass smiles on thier faces right now knowing thier jobs just got a whole lot easier for the next few years.

Ortiz, Crisp, now Seymour. A good couple of days for New England sports fans. Branch will be soon and then we'll see what they do in FA.

Last edited:
GREAT news. Lets keep it coming and have a great draft.

YES!!!! Recently the off season seemed to be getting a bit better that we were finally signing some guys, not big, some special teamers and resigning some Defensive backs, Brown and Neal. But SEYMOUR! This guy is no doubt the best DE in the league. This is a huge move. Thank god. :D. Now lets see some ESPN analysts trash the Patriots off season.

SIGN BRANCH AND ASANTE SAMUEL TO LONG TERM EXTENSIONS :rocker:

^ Problably not a smart comment but Asante is like...my favorite DB. :D, well...Harrison and Wilson too. :p

Sey is our good luck charm

Ever since he has come on board it has been nothing but sweetness. Here is to many more playoff runs with Big Sey leading the way.

He will be the veteran captain taking over for Willie.............

wooooohoooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eat2:

Last edited:
Seymour could've waited it out and probably have gotten more money from almost any other team in the league - he's a true Patriot. **coughVinatieriscumbagcough**

WOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!
!!!

:) :) :)

Sometimes when you got a lot of players up for contract you have to prioritize. You have to sign your YOUNG, KEY PLAYERS (Like Brady and Sey). Unfortunately, we can't keep everybody (Givens, McGinest, Adam). But BB is right on the target. Now lets get Branch done! :)

When I turned on the computer and saw Seymour was sound I let out a loud shout...family wanted to know what all the noise was about.

Hey Richard Seymour signing a four year deal is worth a celebration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back