PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ESPN Radio report Pats have signed SEYMOUR!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seymour93 said:
Seymour could've waited it out and probably have gotten more money from almost any other team in the league - he's a true Patriot. **coughVinatieriscumbagcough**

Sey can we bring back the Give Sey his money sig?

You should maybe get soemthing for that cough too

You can all thank me. I just posted this a half hour ago on a Red Sox thread (Big Papi getting extended):

The only team I know of that seems to actually try to pay more for the future is the Patriots, and they have pi**ed off a lot of their fans lately with that philosophy.

Didn't take Bill and Scott long to react. Ortiz one day, Seymour the next = good week for New England fans.

Mooch said:
So based on the rules, it's an extension with new money starting in 2007, correct. Seymour's 2006 cap figure stays right where it is, keeping the Pats still pretty well under the '06 cap?

This is fantastic news. We could still extend Branch with some up front dough OR go after another pretty big name, right?

How about a sweet deal for Law with some upfront money? I'd be all for that.

Law, Vinatieri, McGinest.....all gone.

Can we move on please...especially with Law? We don't need him back any more than we need Gino Cappelleti, Jim Nance , or Steve Grogan back.

Just say "NO!" to Law.

I had some concerns, but deep down I always felt he would be willing to make a deal. Sey appreciates what hes got in NE and its about more than just money to him, unlike some other guys who were all talk.

But yeah Ive got a big grin on my face because of this. :)

FreeTedWilliams said:
Sey can we bring back the Give Sey his money sig?

You should maybe get soemthing for that cough too

Here you go...

seymour.jpg

Isaac said:
Happy, happy day!!

(I look forward to the Felger and Borges articles decrying how they should have spent the money on AV instead of Seymour. ;))

it was funny to hear the wheels spinning in Felger's head as the story broke. at first he tried to spin it as "an organizational shift" but then he realized they're not giving this kind of deal to everyone else on the roster...then they started to blast Pasquarelli for claiming it was a deal that could let Sey finish his career here.

Then Felger and his butt boy Halloran started to slowly realize why the Pats kept some cap room available -- and make sure you're sitting down for this -- they even backed off some of their premature criticism, suggesting that BB may not in fact be perfect, but that he actually knows more about this stuff than they do themselves.

high comedy.

he'll still manage to spin it as a negative.

the taildragger said:
it was funny to hear the wheels spinning in Felger's head as the story broke. at first he tried to spin it as "an organizational shift" but then he realized they're not giving this kind of deal to everyone else on the roster...then they started to blast Pasquarelli for claiming it was a deal that could let Sey finish his career here.

Then Felger and his butt boy Halloran started to slowly realize why the Pats kept some cap room available -- and make sure you're sitting down for this -- they even backed off some of their premature criticism, suggesting that BB may not in fact be perfect, but that he actually knows more about this stuff than they do themselves.

high comedy.

LOL. :D
What the hell is wrong with those guys anyway? First they ***** that the Pats aren't paying anybody, and now they are trying to find a way to ***** about them paying one of their players. Some people are just never satisfied.

Last edited:
My question is how does this change the Pats approach to the draft, if at all?

FreeTedWilliams said:
Just heard on the Sportscenter update that the Pats and Seymour have reached an agreement on a long term contract extention..

OH HAPPY DAY!!!!

can't believe i just saw this, several hours after it was posted...i didn't know that a possible scenario was to extend the contract and avoid loading 06, which was my concern...so if they can push the big $$$ into 07, they'll have room to keep branch and maybe some room for another move...amazing...the easter bunny is good...can't wait to hear the details...

DefenseRules said:
LOL. :D
What the hell is wrong with those guys anyway? First they ***** that the Pats aren't paying anybody, and now they are trying to find a way to ***** about them paying one of their players. Some people are just never satisfied.
he just said the only reason he got an extn and not adam because of his age....Forgot to mention the position he plays :)

PATRIOTS-80 said:
Unfortunately, we can't keep everybody (Givens, McGinest, Adam).
Couldn't keep AV, that's for sure. He said he did not give the Pats a chance to match Indy's offer.

Mooch said:
So based on the rules, it's an extension with new money starting in 2007, correct. Seymour's 2006 cap figure stays right where it is, keeping the Pats still pretty well under the '06 cap?
Why would that be?

If Seymour's contract was re-negotiated in 2005 to give him more money in 2005, and you have to wait a year to re-negotiate, why can't he re-negoatiate in 2006 and get more money in 2006?

Why does his 2006 figure have to be the same?

Now we know why PatJew was at the Razor.... okay PJ...you need to make 1 more trip.

I don't know why you people are getting so excited. Diet Pepsi Machine's future with the Pats is still very much in doubt.

That is great news, and should shut up those people who think the Pats are unwilling to pay big money to keep their best people.

sdaniels7114 said:
I don't know why you people are getting so excited. Diet Pepsi Machine's future with the Pats is still very much in doubt.

He will jump. Players like him are always after the big paycheck.

edgecy said:
He will jump. Players like him are always after the big paycheck.

and Fraud Monitoring is gone

the taildragger said:

high comedy.

He may, but in his heart of hearts, he will take credit for it. "The steady drumbeat of negativity forced their hand.":D

Wrong!

Odlirama said:
Hey lets stay on topic here.
The Pats are cheap! They don't know what they are doing. BB and Pioli are arrogant @$$holes who think they can just coach up anybody and win.
I mean can you belive they didn't give Vinatieri what he wanted?
Thank God we have dilligent and competent media people covering this team.

They are not cheap, they are smart! When someone is worth the money, and RS is, they pony up, but they don't mortgage the future to do it. While other teams are using up future caps now, what the Pats did is make tough decisions about Seymour vs McGinest/Vinatieri and saving the future cap space for the next set of stars (i.e. branch).

As much as I love AV to death and cry for his loss (and also think they misjudged the market and screwed up), they said RS is our top priority and we don't free up any additional value until he's locked in....even if we risk losing AV and WM...we take care of business no. 1 first because he is that important...yes, I'm greedy, I want them all, but its BB and SP butts that are on the line, and they said, we need to guarantee keeping this guy and then Branch and then hopefully we will still have a window to keep AV and WM...and goddamn if at the end of the day when I look at how good S is I can argue with that!

RayClayborne said:
They are not cheap, they are smart! When someone is worth the money, and RS is, they pony up, but they don't mortgage the future to do it. While other teams are using up future caps now, what the Pats did is make tough decisions about Seymour vs McGinest/Vinatieri and saving the future cap space for the next set of stars (i.e. branch).

Well put, Ray - and welcome! Vinatieri especially isn't worth mentioning in the same breath as this deal (well, except his departure helped facilitate it.)

Look, love him to death too, and (unlike some guys here,) I'm not going to mentally erase him from 3 super bowls. But at 5 times the rate of a "value" kicker, and easily twice the rate of a good kicker, the icewater in his veins is looking a lot like perrier right now, and with Diet Pepsi Machine on the roster.... oh to hell with it, bartender, mix me another metaphor.

Some people don't get the word "value." It's bang for the buck. If that means a whole lotta bang for 8 million bucks, it just better be worth it. If that means 3 million is too much for a kicker - any kicker - then it's time to find another kicker.

And if you still have issues with the BB/SP front office, you really need to look for another sport to follow - because if anybody's got the cap-era NFL figured out, it's these guys.

PFnV

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes