PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ESPN Magazine: Belichick's brand of coaching is nothing new

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought the article was good. Isn't America about winning and greed? Yet when you do it too much people get jealous.

Except I don't think BB lacks the morals that social Darwinists do, and it seems Jim Brown, who's a social activist, would agree.
GordonGecko-740537.jpg
01-Bill-Belichick.jpg

I don't think so

Last edited:
Except I don't think BB lacks the morals that social Darwinists do, and it seems Jim Brown, who's a social activist, would agree.
GordonGecko-740537.jpg
belichick.jpg
?

I don't think so.

he is pretty cut throat when it comes to winning which is what you need to do to survive in the NFL.

Re: ESPN Magazine:Belichick's brand of coaching is nothing new

Huh? I thought this was a fairly balanced article. At least the work he's done with Brown is finally getting some national attention.

At least the writer was fair in presenting positive viewpoints of BB.
But still, there was definitely a hostile overtone in that column.

I think the article was OK but clearly the writer doesn't know jack shyt about football or didn't watch any games this year.

"Their record-setting offense is based on a passing attack so smart, so flexible and so disciplined that Brady rarely even got tackled until the regular- season finale against the Giants."

Brady got absolutely nailed several times this year. In fact there were a few games where I was hoping they would run more often because he was taking so many hits.

...And what was with that "Muscular Christian" crap.:confused:

I thought the article was worth the read. I didn't feel as though he was attacking. It was a thought out piece, with research done. It was one man's perception based on how others have done this through out time. I'm not sure that I agree on every point, but I do feel that the writer attempted to get as many facts as possible, and very little speculation. I thank the OP for sharing this.......;)

If you include a reference to Richard Seymour's grandfather and Ted Johnson (a player providing a series of inconsistent stories - did Belichick make a mistake in playing him, did Johnson not want to risk losing his starting position by pointing out he was injured and unable to practice, or a little of both? Who bears the responsibility to say he is physically unable to play?), I think it's a stretch to call the article unbiased. By releasing the aging players, you support the Social Darwinism argument. By including the Johnson and Seymour stories, you get Belichick as heartless and unflattering and readers likely will gravitate to those facts and overlook the rest. If you call balanced the flattering reference to Andrew Carnegie, with whom most readers would know only through the brief description in the article, I would call the article somewhat balanced. Calling Dungy, the "Muscular Christian", his foil leads me back down the path of the good versus evil argument Easterbrook blathers on with in his tirades.

More significantly, does Belichick make personnel decisions or does Pioli? My understanding is Belivhick states his requirements and Pioli evaluates whether what is on the team is better than what is on the market. That means you merge the roles of Pioli and Belichick in evaluating your theory. The "Patriot Way" analyzed is the contributions of both, so it is a stretch to say all those actions are a product of Belichick's decisions.

In the end, the article is a far cry from Easterbrook's pseudointellectual garbage and does provide some contribution to discourse, but I would call it more pretentious than enlightening for those who have read anything on Belichick (including the "flattering" piece written on him which paints the coach in a positive light - Does the author have some greater insight into that biography to say it is not as accurate as his understanding? If so, where are his facts disputing what is written by Holley?).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back