PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ESPN/538: Pats Super Bowl Path Is the Easiest in Modern NFL History

Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks like it will be relatively easy. The Vikings would probably be the tougher of the two opponents in the Super Bowl unless Keenum completely crashed back to the Earth. The Titans were a great match-up for the Patriots because they hit prime time before they were really ready to do so and the Jags don't have much of an offense to speak of (although they are tough defensively). I'd say if the Patriots make it to the Super Bowl, no matter which team they play coming out of the NFC, they've probably had the easiest path they've had in the entire Belichick era. None of three teams they will have played will be a juggernaut offensively.

It's not easy, but Jacksonville doesn't have the best defense in the league this year, and are not a top 3 defense in the modern era-- even if you count the modern era as starting in 2000.

Based off DVOA, which adjusts for opponent, they have a better pass defense than the Broncos did when they won, and that was the previous best pass defense of the 2000s. Of course, their run defense is pretty bad, but in the modern NFL you can obviously win Super Bowls by forcing your opponent to run.

The Vikings have the best run defense and second best pass defense in the league (though it's somehow still not close to the Jaguars). These are some historically good defenses left in the playoffs.

it's because 3 of the 4 QB's left are bums

Interesting that you lump Foles in as a bum when...

Foles had 27tds and only 2 ints and went 8-2 in 2013....made the probowl.....he can play

There’s more to that team than wentz

What changed your mind? How he looked over the last two games of the regular season?

Interesting that you lump Foles in as a bum when...

What changed your mind? How he looked over the last two games of the regular season?

the most recent data set......since the giants game, he's been pure vomit

the fact that he CAN play doesn't mean he's not a bum.....his 2 longest plays are dump offs to ajayi

that said, I believe we will be facing the eagles in the SB

Foles sucks. He's the worst QB left in the playoffs. I'd rather have Hoyer.

Foles sucks. He's the worst QB left in the playoffs. I'd rather have Hoyer.

I don't think he is that bad at all. They're lucky to have him, to be honest.

I think Bortles is worse than Foles. Bortles is way too inconsistent.

meh......I don't think anyone will ever have it as easy as the '85 Bears did

meh......I don't think anyone will ever have it as easy as the '85 Bears did

Now that you mention it, when the '85 Bears are discussed, you never hear "They were lucky to avoid playing Miami in the Super Bowl."

I do not like the tone of this article.
(Not the fault of any poster here)

None of three teams they will have played will be a juggernaut offensively.

Which I think is a bigger factor than the defense. A good offense is the best defense against TFB; keep him off the field. I think, of the games this year, the Steelers game is the best example.

To quote the greatest coach of all time:

Stats are for losers

No. 2008 steelers

8-8 chargers
11-5 ravens
9- 7 cards

Yup. As I said in another thread, an SB win this year would somewhat make up for 2008, when the Patriots were on a roll come season’s end and could have steamrolled to the title had they gotten in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back