Eric RATgini: Jimmy G won't be traded

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHOWTIME15

No asterisks
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Eric Mangini does not think Patriots will trade Jimmy Garoppolo

Not that this doofus has any inside information, but he thinks Bill is going to keep Jimmy G around.

Personally, I think if Tom wants to play for another 5 years, you just can't keep Jimmy G in the bench until he's 29. I think the patriots owe it to trade him if he's not in their plans as a starter.

I think the 49ers made a mistake in not keeping Joe Montana around longer. Yes they had steve young but montana could have gotten 1-2 more rings.

I think the 49ers made a mistake in not keeping Joe Montana around longer. Yes they had steve young but montana could have gotten 1-2 more rings.
Agree with pretty much everything you said. Mangini has no relevance to Patriots info, he's probably about as informed as we are. Though he might know BB's mindset better, but that won't get him much. Maybe they need to ask him about his regrets...

The 49ers did just fine with Steve Young. Similar to Favre/Rodgers as well. I like Jimmy G and think he'd be an excellent Patriot QB to transition too, just Brady has outlasted normal timelines and they'll only be able to get something for Jimmy this year.

I can't wait until the long term contract is signed. Just sit back and watch people go nuts.

I'm a bit more mercenary than some of you. I have no real desire to ride Brady to the bottom of the hill. Not when there's a young QB on the roster we could transition to and try our luck at keeping the ride going.

Transitioning to Jimmy G would be a huge risk that we probably don't have to take this year. Pushing Brady out to pasture right after winning a SB would be a major slap in the face and I don't think it's required until Brady gives us a chance to see what he's got left over a full season. anyway.

But if we trade Jimmy G now, it better be with a concrete plan on how to deal with the situation if Brady gets Pollarded next year.

I have to say, you lost me here.

I was living in SF when the 49ers traded Montana, and I remember the newspaper diagrams showing the surgeries to practically every part of his body. He was an all-time great, but he was a physical wreck by 1993 and was coming off a Tony Romo-style 2 lost years. He played just two more seasons in KC and missed 7 games with injuries in that time.

Meanwhile Brady hasn't lost a single game to injury in 8 years and was at peak performance this year. Very different situation.

Not that this doofus has any inside information, but he thinks Bill is going to keep Jimmy G around.

Personally, I think if Tom wants to play for another 5 years, you just can't keep Jimmy G in the bench until he's 29. I think the patriots owe it to trade him if he's not in their plans as a starter.
The Patriots don't owe him anything that isn't in his contract, and I highly doubt Belichick is approaching this from a standpoint of "gee, we really owe the kid such and such...."

Having said that, he is 1 year away from being a UFA. He isn't going to stay past this year and there's nothing NE can do to stop that short of franchising him - and the Patriots are not going to franchise a backup QB (except as a temporary "hold" to work out a trade).

The media is looking at this backwards. They keep asking "What is Belichick going to do? What is Belichick going to do?" That's the wrong question. I 100% guarantee you that Belichick will trade Garoppolo is he gets an offer he likes and keep Garoppolo if he doesn't get an offer he likes.

So the pertinent question is "What are other teams going to do? What are the Browns/Bears/49ers going to do?"

The Patriots don't owe him anything that isn't in his contract, and I highly doubt Belichick is approaching this from a standpoint of "gee, we really owe the kid such and such...."

From a contractual standpoint, yes, they don't owe him anything. But JG had been nothing but a trooper. In the past BB has moved on from players because he feels they have a much better opportunity elsewhere.

What does "everything you can" even mean? Franchise tag in 2018? Franchise tag again in 2019? Long term deal for $20 million a year?

These people talking about Garoppolo staying long term need to explain how to do that in a way that makes sense for both sides. These "find a way" opinions aren't accomplishing anything worthwhile.

Pats lost 2 draft picks because of framegate. Garoppolo is a FA next year. Belichick is absolutely looking to recoup those 2 picks especially if it lands him the #12 pick from Cleveland. Also ABSOLUTELY no way is Belichick moving on from Brady after next year and they are not going to pay Garoppolo starter money to be a backup and I doubt he wants to stay a backup until he is 28-29, which means he'd reject every offer and Pats won't use the franchise on a backup QB unless it's to trade him which is stupid because you won't get as much as you would this year because Garoppolo is low cost controlled.

Last edited:
I feel like a traitor, but man I would like to see more of Jimmy.
He throws a great medium to long ball and he's mobile.

Pats lost 2 draft picks because of framegate. Garoppolo is a FA next year. Belichick is absolutely looking to recoup those 2 picks especially if it lands him the #12 pick from Cleveland. Also ABSOLUTELY no way is Belichick moving on from Brady after next year which means they'd have to extend Garoppolo and Garoppolo may reject every contract so he could hit the market because Pats aren't going to franchise him.
Exactly. I agree with all of this. Even if we want to keep Jimmy, it's his decision if he wants to re-sign here and ride the bench. If Brady really intends to play another 5+ years or whatever, I really can't envision Jimmy sticking it out. First of all, we'll get out-bid in free agency, and second of all, he's going to find starting somewhere else more appealing that being a backup in NE.

The only way I see him being here long-term is if -- god forbid -- we hold on to him for 2017 and Brady suffers a serious, career-changing injury.

They don't owe him anything more than what's best for the team.
But his contract expires so he would have to choose to stay.

Young was better than Montana at that point. Montana wasnt winning any more rings.

From a contractual standpoint, yes, they don't owe him anything. But JG had been nothing but a trooper. In the past BB has moved on from players because he feels they have a much better opportunity elsewhere.
um, whuh whuh huh??? When has Bill Belichick ever "moved on" from a player simply because they had a better opportunity elsewhere and Belichick wanted to reward him?? Now don't get me wrong... Belichick "moves on" from players all the time (obviously) but not once has he sacrificed the long-term interest of the Patriots simply for sentimental reasons.

Generally speaking, if a player has a better opportunity elsewhere then the other team is going to pay more than NE is willing to pay, so that is certainly a factor. But if all things are equal, Belichick doesn't say "aw shucks, that guy is a trooper so even though he makes us a better team, I'll let the youngster go get his big break with one of our rivals!"

Mangini spelled backwards is..

51EPX8NNK5L.jpg

Pats lost 2 draft picks because of framegate. Garoppolo is a FA next year. Belichick is absolutely looking to recoup those 2 picks especially if it lands him the #12 pick from Cleveland. Also ABSOLUTELY no way is Belichick moving on from Brady after next year and they are not going to pay Garoppolo starter money to be a backup and I doubt he wants to stay a backup until he is 28-29, which means he'd reject every offer and Pats won't use the franchise on a backup QB unless it's to trade him which is stupid because you won't get as much as you would this year because Garoppolo is low cost controlled.

Agree with your view, except we don't really know yet what happens with Brady after next year until we see how he does next year. JG is as good as gone though.

um, whuh whuh huh??? When has Bill Belichick ever "moved on" from a player simply because they had a better opportunity elsewhere and Belichick wanted to reward him?? Now don't get me wrong... Belichick "moves on" from players all the time (obviously) but not once has he sacrificed the long-term interest of the Patriots simply for sentimental reasons.

Generally speaking, if a player has a better opportunity elsewhere then the other team is going to pay more than NE is willing to pay, so that is certainly a factor. But if all things are equal, Belichick doesn't say "aw shucks, that guy is a trooper so even though he makes us a better team, I'll let the youngster go get his big break with one of our rivals!"

I think he's cut players before sooner than later to give them an opportunity to sign elsewhere.

Jimmy G really has no future here. While he does strengthen the QB depth for next year, it makes much more sense to unload him now. It gives us the picks we want, and it gives JG the opportunity he ought to get. Put it this way, if JG were under contract for 3 more years, I don't think Bill would keep him the whole length of the contract.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back