PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

[Edited title] Patriots gave Andrews offer which did not "entice" him - but both sides want to get a deal done

I remember when the media speculated Bill was going to keep two out the 3 defensive stars which where Chandler Jones, HT and Collins. He only kept HT. Although I didn't like the timing, Collins was understandable as he was going rogue at times. Jones, I still can't get over. With that being said, you'd think that Bill would keep at least one between Thuney and Andrews, but there's a possibility that they both walk.

Going rate for a top 10 center is 9m to 12m... Andrews should be in the 9 to 10 million dollar range...
You're acting like the Patriots pay market price to resign their guys. Have you been paying attention to this team at all over the last 20 years of BB's career?

Now that Newton is the QB maybe he can convince Dirty Dave and Smokin Joe to sign team friendly deals for <<50% of market value.

This is where Bill's genius comes in. He can continue to tell his players, "well I can't pay you more than the QB." Lmfao

With the money they just saved at the QB position on Cam, I’d tell Andrews to hit the bricks if he wants to break the bank, and sign Thuney. He has positional flexibility in that he can play G, C (he’d be an improvement on Andrews here), and he’s even played LT in a pinch.
I think that Andrews is the center piece of the OL. He is the brain of this OL. In my opinion he is more important than Thuney.

It wouldn’t be the move that destroy our cap now and in the futur if we overpay Andrews by 2M.

You're acting like the Patriots pay market price to resign their guys. Have you been paying attention to this team at all over the last 20 years of BB's career?
and you are forgetting the guy we had here who took less and helped bring in guys and resign our own free agents for less with the promise of winning isnt here anymore. How we did things and how we do things in the future very may well change.

im thinking there are guys that are worth resigning at market rates. David Andrews is one of those guys imo. ymmv. If he signs at 7, 7.5 great, fantastic. If he signs for 9m, im fine with that too, and wont throw a tantrum over a guys paycheck like some of you guys do at times. If we lose him to Miami etc because he wanted 8 and we offered 6, thats bad football.

Last edited:
and you are forgetting the guy we had here who took less and helped bring in guys and resign our own free agents for less with the promise of winning isnt here anymore. How we did things and how we do things in the future very may well change.

im thinking there are guys that are worth resigning at market rates. David Andrews is one of those guys imo. ymmv. If he signs at 7, 7.5 great, fantastic. If he signs for 9m, im fine with that too, and wont throw a tantrum over a guys paycheck like some of you guys do at times. If we lose him to Miami etc because he wanted 8 and we offered 6, thats bad football.
Agree 100%. It still hasn't dawned on many here that "business as usual" won't work. The fact they actually believe that losing a franchise QB has no effect on what it takes to win says it all. The idea that we can just move merrily along with an Average QB and still be a contender is probably the most frustrating (though amusing) aspect of the AB era.

Aside from a few players like Tom Brady, Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant, etc., the biggest myth in pro sports are athletes wanting to win. That's only lip service to the media. Money 99.9% comes first.

I agree that's a bad look.

Justice League next Thursday!
I think the Snyder Cut will only be marginally more watchable than the actual abomination that came out in theaters. What moron studio producer thought Whedon’s and Snyder’s styles were a good mesh? Whedon had Batman making a joke right after he got bounced off a cop car by Superman.

I think that Andrews is the center piece of the OL. He is the brain of this OL. In my opinion he is more important than Thuney.

It wouldn’t be the move that destroy our cap now and in the futur if we overpay Andrews by 2M.
Everybody seems to agree he is smart on calls and has good technique. Some here seem to think he isn’t stout enough and we can do better. I’m not certain that the stoughter options (Thuney or FAs or draft) won’t be an equal loss on line calls or shotgun snaps.

If you think he is centerpiec, then yes paying 2M + is maybe ok.

I would say there is one more criteria though that should be considered: longevity.
If team think he can go 3 or more years; then I say pay him a little more now but ONLY for a longer term contract while team has cap space and league avg doesn’t. “ Buy low. “. You can also spread that out to the out years when cap may go back to increase trend.
If he is viewed as only a 1-2 year rental though, only give him a respectable offer (max ~7-8M) but don’t bust the bank.

maybe this is the year, we should be acquiring better players and upgrade the quality of players on the team.

overspending on a center does not get us where we need to be,
Interesting. Seems like a new concept. One must somehow let BB know.

adds a potential center destination to the market

Last edited:

I wouldn't go that far - after all, Mongo played well for us in 2019 after he overcame his shotgun yips - unless you are comparing the sizes of the contracts they both might receive here (I hope) or elsewhere...I feel that 3 years/$22.5M or 4/$30M is reasonable for Andrews, whereas Thuney might receive offers in the 3/$40M or 4/$50M ranges...

You act as if it’s pay Andrews or burn the money. If he wants 8 which he is not worth and we offer 6 and he walks we use the 6 on someone more valuable and improve the team. If we have 8 mill tied up in Andrews and can’t stop the run is that better than drafting a c and using the money to shore up the interior DL?

Every contract is an opportunity cost of a different signing. Just give him what he wants even though his value isn’t that high is bad football.
When you look across the league and look at the players who will sign for 8 million a year they are players who will contribute more to this team than a very average C with medical issues.

I think the Snyder Cut will only be marginally more watchable than the actual abomination that came out in theaters. What moron studio producer thought Whedon’s and Snyder’s styles were a good mesh? Whedon had Batman making a joke right after he got bounced off a cop car by Superman.
Snyder Cut looks a hell of lot better than the trash we saw in theaters. I'm interested to see how Leto redeems himself as Joker. And how does Batman smiling like a little girl when Superman joins them against Steppenwolf not make you laugh:

Mw2w6GY.gif

I think he’s about middle of the pack give or take, I think middle of the pack Cs are over paid, and I don’t think you pay a guy with serious health risks the same money an equal player without those risks gets.

If he is going to cost 7+ mill per year I would rather use my FA money on a different position and draft a C.

Not paying Andrews 7 million is based on there being better uses of 7 million under a finite budget.

let’s say you have the choice of Andrews abs Tyrell Williams or a draft choice at C and Golladay.
Which are you choosing? And you can do that across the board. Many people are looking it as “that’s what it costs to keep Andrews” and I am looking at it as “is David Andrews the best use of 7 million a year?”
I don't think that Belichick would count on starting a rookie 3rd or 4th round center. I expect that we will sign a veteran.

I don't think that Belichick would count on starting a rookie 3rd or 4th round center. I expect that we will sign a veteran.
He has started a 5th, a 4th and a udfa as rookies

Now that Newton is the QB maybe he can convince Dirty Dave and Smokin Joe to sign team friendly deals for <<50% of market value.
Let's see Cam's lauded leadership skills in action.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back