PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2024 NFL Draft Thread (Continued..)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pats trade pick 3 to Giants for picks 6, 47 and a 2025 second rounder. Giants take Maye. Then, Pats trade with Arizona, receiving picks 4 and 35 in exchange for 6 and their 2025 first rounder. Arizona still gets to take Malik Nabers and still owns pick 27 and three 3rd rounders, and now has two 1st rounders again next year. NE takes McCarthy at 4 and still has picks 34, 35 and 47 in the second round and 68 in the third round. They lose their 1st next year but have two 2nds (their own and the Giants’) to soften the loss. The surplus of high picks this year lets them rebuild fast around their new QB, getting high quality WRs and OL.
I like the trade but think MHJ would be the Giants target. The Giants WR position was somehow worse than the Pats last year.

The current FO just extended Jones, they have to give him weapons and 1 more year. Plus landing a stud WR and sucking into Manning range might be their ultimate plan that way Archie can pull an Eli and refuse to sign with whatever #1 pick team drafts him

I like the trade but think MHJ would be the Giants target. The Giants WR position was somehow worse than the Pats last year.

The current FO just extended Jones, they have to give him weapons and 1 more year. Plus landing a stud WR and sucking into Manning range might be their ultimate plan that way Archie can pull an Eli and refuse to sign with whatever #1 pick team drafts him
Supposedly the Giants have been trying to trade up to 3 and you have to guess it’s for a QB. I have a hard time guessing they’re sending a bunch of capital for a receiver but I guess it’s possible. The Pats may be inclined to do it if the Giants promise they’re not taking a QB, because that means that there’s only picks 4 and 5 left and two QBs left on the board still that they like. And both Arizona and the Chargers won’t trade down, at least one will stick and take someone, letting a QB fall to 6. So NE would probably let the Giants trade up for a lower price (like for just pick 47) if they weren’t going for a QB.

I’ll puke if they take JJ over Maye or Daniels, especially at 3.
I wouldn't be too concerned about the articles because as i said, he's given conflicting stories here.

I seriously don't think any Journo's actually know who we are taking or if we are trading out.

Maye processes plays at the snap of the ball in slow motion.
Daniels is a train wreck
McCarthy has accuracy issues.
Penix reads the field deep to short and is a sack waiting to happen.

Harrison is the best player in this draft and fills a huge need

Is this really a tough choice????

I’m
Maye processes plays at the snap of the ball in slow motion.
Daniels is a train wreck
McCarthy has accuracy issues.
Penix reads the field deep to short and is a sack waiting to happen.

Harrison is the best player in this draft and fills a huge need

Is this really a tough choice????
so by your QB logic, there are no perfect flawless QB prospects so pass on all of them.

The reporting that says they like both guys but ultimately will take Maye tells me that they actually like McCarthy, but other teams like Maye and so they want to prod other teams to trade up with them and pay a pretty penny - enough capital that they could possibly then move back up themselves as necessary to grab McCarthy. The stories saying that “if they trade down, they’re taking Penix” is a smokescreen as well to hide their intention to try to push other teams to leave McCarthy on the board for them.

If it all doesn’t work out, they’ll take Nix as the backup plan later, the only guy they didn’t have a reported 30 visit with - meaning they’re hiding their actual interest in him.
This is the craziest theory yet... but pretty awesome.

Supposedly the Giants have been trying to trade up to 3 and you have to guess it’s for a QB. I have a hard time guessing they’re sending a bunch of capital for a receiver but I guess it’s possible. The Pats may be inclined to do it if the Giants promise they’re not taking a QB, because that means that there’s only picks 4 and 5 left and two QBs left on the board still that they like. And both Arizona and the Chargers won’t trade down, at least one will stick and take someone, letting a QB fall to 6. So NE would probably let the Giants trade up for a lower price (like for just pick 47) if they weren’t going for a QB.
I don't think they can make a trade with the Giants and trust them when they say it isn't for a QB. If you're trading, you just have to accept that risk. When we've seen Bill making trades in videos in the the past, it usually entails him asking the other team, "Is your guy there?" I don't think teams will reveal any more than that.

Last edited:
I don't think they can make a trade with the Giants and trust them when they say it isn't for a QB. If you're trading, you just have to accept that risk. When we've seen Bill making trades in videos in the the past, it usually entails him asking the other team, "Is your guy there?" I don't think teams will reveal any more than that.
You can't force it, but teams do make "verbal agreements" from time to time. I think this is a situation where you'd want Kraft to be involved - he would have to make that agreement owner-to-owner with Mara. "My guy is going to give your guy a discount here, don't **** me over." Kraft and Mara have a good relationship, so I can see it happening. They don't need to know who "their guy is", they just need to know what position group.

You can't force it, but teams do make "verbal agreements" from time to time. I think this is a situation where you'd want Kraft to be involved - he would have to make that agreement owner-to-owner with Mara. "My guy is going to give your guy a discount here, don't **** me over." Kraft and Mara have a good relationship, so I can see it happening. They don't need to know who "their guy is", they just need to know what position group.
We could draft Harrison at 3 and then trade him to AZ, LAC or NYG.

The issue with the Giants trading up for a WR is that 2 teams can still trade up with AZ and LAC for QB's, especially if the giants took their man at 3.

We could draft Harrison at 3 and then trade him to AZ, LAC or NYG.

The issue with the Giants trading up for a WR is that 2 teams can still trade up with AZ and LAC for QB's, especially if the giants took their man at 3.
Good point, and very true - though you don't see the method of taking a player and then trading him immediately used very often.

Going down with NYG knowing they take a WR - or taking MHJ ourselves and then trading with NYG for 6 - does come with the risk that other teams trade up with both AZ and LAC ahead of 6. But then that means both AZ and LAC will end up with picks below 10th, and likely could miss out on a top WR, which is what both want.

I’m

so by your QB logic, there are no perfect flawless QB prospects so pass on all of them.
The issue is you have a valuable pick and you do risk burning it by drafting a flawed QB who is very easy to see busting. If you think they aren't all that, you can draft Penix later if it really comes down to it.

That high pick does give you the chance to take the best player in the draft that is a position we struggled to fill for years.

If you really do believe in the QB's, take them. But if you don't, you go with the diamond you have in your hand.

Even if you trade down, the odds are they are using those picks to get a QB and a WR who are lesser prospects anyways than MHJ and whoever they could have got at QB at 3. So I don't even see that much extra value in it

That’s scary. What the hell can Jonathon know about judging talent
Hooker talent, yes (I know all about it, John Boy).

Football talent, no. The real reasons that Bill is gone are becoming clearer and clearer. Thanks Dad wanted to play GM, after always getting picked last in the schoolyard, so he had to get rid of the guy who wouldn’t even acknowledge his existence, let alone let him participate in any draft strategy sessions

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes