Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Who Wins- Best of 5

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The '01 Patriots would win it all. That team was just magical....all three phases....
You've already disrespected the '18 team, so game over. I can see Tom's IG posts now, how everyone loves the 01 team and no one loves the '18.

You've already disrespected the '18 team, so game over. I can see Tom's IG posts now, how everyone loves the 01 team and no one loves the '18.

I love them all, but the '01 team will always be my absolute favorite football team. Prior to the season, renowned football researcher/writer /draftnik Joel Buchsbaum (RIP) wrote an article in which he asked various NFL GM's and personnel which team had the LEAST chance of winning a SB....and it was the Patriots.

Let me see if I can't find that article.....

I have no idea.

The 2014 team was the most balanced of them all on both sides of the ball and played maybe the toughest Super Bowl opponent (defending Super Bowl champ that had just humiliated the best offense in league history the year before.)

However, 2004 team had more wins, against a harder strength of schedule, with a bigger average margin of victory. Their combination of run game and defense was just soul-crushing. In the playoffs they held the best offense in history up to that point to 3 points and hung like 41 on the best defense in the league in back-to-back games.

So I take that back, whatever era includes the 2004 team wins by default.

I love them all, but the '01 team will always be my absolute favorite football team. Prior to the season, renowned football researcher/writer /draftnik Joel Buchsbaum (RIP) wrote an article in which he asked various NFL GM's and personnel which team had the LEAST chance of winning a SB....and it was the Patriots.

Agreed, your first love is always your favorite. I went to SB36, so that's easily my favorite one.

Or this other story......In the aftermath of 9/11 the league had to decide whether to push the season back a week or eliminate wild card weekend (meaning only 8 teams made the playoffs). Belichick was strong in his support for the full 12 team playoff.

The commissioner asked him something along the lines of 'why do you even care?'

After the season BB sent his own response along the lines of 'you were right. We didn't need wild card weekend to advance.

Or this other story......In the aftermath of 9/11 the league had to decide whether to push the season back a week or eliminate wild card weekend (meaning only 8 teams made the playoffs). Belichick was strong in his support for the full 12 team playoff.

The commissioner asked him something along the lines of 'why do you even care?'

After the season BB sent his own response along the lines of 'you were right. We didn't need wild card weekend to advance.

Thanks for that tidbit...never heard of it before! Then again...a lot was going on after 9-11.... I was at the Mo Lewis/Joe Andruzzi Brothers game....had a direct view of Mo Lewis' hit from the 19th row at Foxboro Stadium.....yes, I even miss that dump.

I'm not so sure that the team in the middle - from 2005-2013 - wouldn't beat both these squads.

QB - Brady (PRIME)
RB - Maroney
HB - Faulk
WR - Moss
WR - Welker
WR - Edelman (young)
WR - Branch
TE - Gronk
TE - Hernandez (sorry, he gets a spot)
LT - Light
LG - Mankins
C - Koppen
RG - Neal
RT - Vollmer or Solder (who started out at RT)

DE - Warren
NT - Wilfork (PRIME)
DE - Seymour
LB - Bruschi
LB - Vrabel
LB - Thomas (PRIME)
LB - Mayo
CB - Samuel
S - Harrison
S - McCourty
CB - Talib

K - Gostkowski
P - Allen

Hmmmm. That is a good team. I'd swap out a couple...

QB - Brady (PRIME)
RB - 2012 Ridley
HB - Faulk
WR - Moss
WR - Welker
WR - Edelman (young)
WR - Branch
TE - Gronk
LT - Light
LG - Mankins
C - Koppen
RG - Brian Watters 2011 (hes better than Neal)

DE - Warren
NT - Wilfork (PRIME)
DE - Seymour
DE- Willie 05
LB - Bruschi
LB - Vrabel
LB - Colvin 04-07
LB - Mayo
CB - Samuel
CB- 09 Bodden
S - Harrison
S - McCourty
CB - Talib

K - Gostkowski
P - Allen

Brady from 2014 onward has been the best Brady we've seen.

01-04 Pats had nobody on offense like Gronk.

I'd give Edelman a slight edge over 03-04 Branch.

14 Vince and 16 Branch (very underrated season) are about on par w/03 Washington and 04 Vince.

I'd give a slight edge to 01-04 Seymour over 16-18 Flowers.

I'd give a slight edge to McGinest over Hightower.

I'd give a moderate edge to Bruschi over KVN. Could have been wider, but KVN played superbly in these last 3 SBs, particularly 51 and 53.

Slight edge to Law over Gilmore. Gilmore was a stud in these last two SBs.

Rodney is the best SS, but Chung these past few years has been indispensable as a hybrid SS/LB in today's nickel-heavy packages.

Overall secondary depth favors 14-18. No need to have Troy Brown play CB.

I'd give the edge to 14-18, mostly due to Brady having all the answers to the test and Gronk being unique. I think the rest of the rosters cancel each other's advantages out for the most part. Also, BB and Scar are several years wiser and experienced.

Regards,
Chris

Hmmmm. That is a good team. I'd swap out a couple...

QB - Brady (PRIME)
RB - 2012 Ridley
HB - Faulk
WR - Moss
WR - Welker
WR - Edelman (young)
WR - Branch
TE - Gronk
LT - Light
LG - Mankins
C - Koppen
RG - Brian Watters 2011 (hes better than Neal)

DE - Warren
NT - Wilfork (PRIME)
DE - Seymour
DE- Willie 05
LB - Bruschi
LB - Vrabel
LB - Colvin 04-07
LB - Mayo
CB - Samuel
CB- 09 Bodden
S - Harrison
S - McCourty
CB - Talib

K - Gostkowski
P - Allen
That group from 2009... pass. Hard pass.

That group from 2009... pass. Hard pass.
Bodden was good. They liked him and gave him a nice deal. He wasn't one of the problem children. If he didn't shatter his shoulder they would have been better in 2010.

Bodden was good. They liked him and gave him a nice deal. He wasn't one of the problem children. If he didn't shatter his shoulder they would have been better in 2010.
Meh. That whole squad ... guilt by association.
tom-brady-bill-belichickjpg-95e8c0ab5d279e48_large.jpg

Meh. There were a number of players on that 09 team who now have multiple rings.
I dunno man, this is one of the few times we are gonna disagree. For every Slate, Jules, and Ninck on that team, there's a Meriweather, Springs and Thomas.

I dunno man, this is one of the few times we are gonna disagree. For every Slate, Jules, and Ninck on that team, there's a Meriweather, Springs and Thomas.
I guess I don't understand your point.

You just named 3 team-oriented players who were vital to future championships. My understanding is Bill liked Leigh Bodden a lot which is why he gave him a fat FA contract. He was a solid teammate and not a member of the jerk squad. Why include him in that group when he was more aligned to the Nink/JE/Slate group?

Hopefully the national media catches wind of this thread and disrespects both halves of the dynasty to A, get the board in a tizzy and B, further motivate the Goat in all of his Goatness.

I guess I don't understand your point.

You just named 3 team-oriented players who were vital to future championships. My understanding is Bill liked Leigh Bodden a lot which is why he gave him a fat FA contract. He was a solid teammate and not a member of the jerk squad. Why include him in that group when he was more aligned to the Nink/JE/Slate group?
I'll defer to your memory of Bodden. I remember being excited when he got here. In general, the 2009 team leaves me with a foul taste in my mouth. So talented, but too many contrarian voices in the locker room.

Hopefully the national media catches wind of this thread and disrespects both halves of the dynasty to A, get the board in a tizzy and B, further motivate the Goat in all of his Goatness.
Yep. The whole "dynasty" talk got me thinking that. At the parade yesterday I'd say there were 50-60% of the fans who were too young to really live through the victory and defeat the 01-07 run.

For example, my high school-aged kids have no idea who Bobby Hamilton, Terrell Buckley or Jarvis Green are but they do know who Nink, Alan Branch and Chris Hogan are.

Yep. The whole "dynasty" talk got me thinking that. At the parade yesterday I'd say there were 50-60% of the fans who were too young to really live through the victory and defeat the 01-07 run.

For example, my high school-aged kids have no idea who Bobby Hamilton, Terrell Buckley or Jarvis Green are but they do know who Nink, Alan Branch and Chris Hogan are.

I'm in the same boat. My kids have no clue who the gen-1 players are unless they're in the media now, IE Harrison, McGinist, Bruschi....and they only know that they played for the Patriots not what they meant to the team and fans.

I'll defer to your memory of Bodden. I remember being excited when he got here. In general, the 2009 team leaves me with a foul taste in my mouth. So talented, but too many contrarian voices in the locker room.
I agree about the 09 team. Awful.

Trust me on Bodden. Bodden played for RAC in CLE when he was HC. He got hurt, cut and BB picked him up on the cheap and had a (should of) Pro Bowl year. He re-signed here in 2010 but got his shoulder destroyed in TC and missed the whole year. He came back in 2011 but he wasn't the same player and Bill released him during the year. He had back issues too. The Pats were the last team he played for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes