PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dwight Freeney may be available...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Badluck

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
Impending free agent DE/OLB Dwight Freeney is not expected to re-sign with the Colts.
Freeney proved to be an extremely poor fit in Chuck Pagano's 3-4 scheme, compiling just five sacks and 24 tackles in 14 games. 2010 first-round pick Jerry Hughes will have a chance to run with the position full time next season. After 11 years with the Colts, Freeney is wearing down but still can help a team out of the 4-3 end spot as a situational rusher

do you think he would welcome a part time role here?
would we move him to rob ninkovich side or would we move chandler jonnes over there

That'd be awesome. I'd imagine he probably can't be asking for too much. Although it only takes one team to overpay. He wouldn't start over Ninko or Chandler Jones tho. He already has a super bowl and he has tons of $. So I wonder what he'll be looking for. And to steal him from Irsay would make it even sweeter.

Was Freeney an impact player this past season? I don't know. I didn't watch many Colts games and when I did (playoffs against Ravens, Pats-Colts, a few others), he didn't seem to be all that dominant.

I may be off here but did Freeney fall off at all in 2012?

Was Freeney an impact player this past season? I don't know. I didn't watch many Colts games and when I did (playoffs against Ravens, Pats-Colts, a few others), he didn't seem to be all that dominant.

yes he did, however he was playing in the colts new 3-4 defense so that may have effected him a bit

Looks like it judging by his stats. But he should be strictly a 4-3 player. COULD be wrong here, but I don't think his spin moves and his technique really work that well as an OLB. Plus, he could be a great teacher for Chandler Jones. I remember him teaching the other Colts DEs his moves and making them better. Maybe Robert Mathis never becomes a pro bowler without Freeney.

I would file this under the interesting options but not something that I clamoring to happen. I would like to think there are better/younger pass rush options out there. If we signed him I think we would all be excited but I am not drooling over the thought.

Bill does hold a certain affinity for Freeney and Mathis, and should any of them hit the open market I'm certain he will at least give them a look.

But consider who currently comprises the DE Depth:

* Marcus Benard
* Jake Bequette
* Jermaine Cunningham
* Justin Francis
* Chandler Jones
* Rob Ninkovich

Chandler Jones was a monster before spraining his ankles, and with another training camp under his belt he should be primed for a breakout year. Until proven otherwise or unless the Pats get someone who blows them out of the water, Jones is a starting DE on this team.

Rob Ninkovich took another step forward in his career this year. It seems with each season he gets better and he has a knack for coming up when a clutch play is needed. The only knock in him is his size, as Ninkovich is a bit undersized (though so is Dumervil, but nobody is talking about that). In any case, the coaching staff needs to decide what Ninkovich's role will be going forward. As a starting DE? Starting LB? Rotational DE/LB for pass rushing situations? If there is an upgrade to be had, it could be at Ninkovich's DE spot, moving him to a more rotational roll. Nonetheless, Ninkovich is proving his worth and needs to see the field.

Cunningham and Francis are interesting because they're tweeners, able to switch between DE and DT depending on the package and situation. Cunningham started strong before being suspended and was replaced by Francis, who has flashes against the Dolphins but was otherwise very quiet.

Bequette and Benard are the two Proven/Unprovens. Bequette was a productive rusher in College but has yet to break through, perhaps this will be his year (though at who's expense?). Benard has had NFL experience before and has been productive, though injuries have forced him to bounce around the league.

In short, if any Defensive Ends are to be added to this team, they need to be of starting caliber or are able to specialize in getting after the passer from anywhere along the line (NASCAR Package).

Jones and Ninkovich go into the next season as the starters, with presumably Cunningham and Francis as the top backups (unless Bequette or Benard flash promise). If a Freeney (or any other Veteran DE) would be acquired or drafted, they need to be able to contribute and not just add to the endless pile of medicoracy.

If he's willing to come be a situational pass rusher for $3M a year, then sure.

What about Armstead? I think he has a good chance to be ahead of Bequette, Benard, and even Cunningham (depends which one shows up). Nink is on the field as much as possible as far as I am concerned. I hope we do not need Freeney, but if he could help - I am all for it.

getting old...will be situational only..he won't be down for that

If nothing else, Freeney would add veteran leadership and could mentor his fellow Syracuse player.... Chandler Jones.

Freeney is over the hill, he hasn't been an impact player for a few years.

Cunningham and Francis are interesting because they're tweeners, able to switch between DE and DT depending on the package and situation. Cunningham started strong before being suspended and was replaced by

Cunningham is hardly a DE/DT tweener, except in how the pats use him.

his body type is a DE/OLB tweener if anything. Hes like 6'3" 255-260. Francis is a bit Thicker, 270-275 (i get different results for height...some sites say 6'4, some say 6'2).

Hightower is bigger than Cunningham.

Freeney is over the hill, he hasn't been an impact player for a few years.

That's probably because, one, he played on a team with Curtis Painter and the Colts never had a lead, then two, he moved to a 3-4. Good chance he winds up in Denver. In a 4-3, he can still be a force.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News