PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Draft Picks analysis from a Florida Gator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bassulike

Rookie
Reaction score
Congratulations for what it looks like a successful draft by the Patriots.

This is my first post and I must admit, I'm not a New England Patriots fan. In fact I'm a Dolphins fan (if there is such a thing).

However, first and foremost, I'm a Gator alum and and die hard Gator fan. I know everything there is to know about Gator Football.

Since the draft and the free agent signings, it seems as if now, I'm a new Patriots fan.

You probably already know this, but let me give you my perspective on the Gator signings starting from the top.

Chad Jackson - I don't know if anyone of you watched the receiver challenge (with Sinorce Moss, Vernon Davis,and the running back from Memphis), but Chad Jackson won every competition. From Speed, to route running, to hands, he won every one. Yes, he was a late bloomer and was a heralded high school player. Even though the routes he ran under Urban Meyer were short routes, he is very much of a deep threat. I hate to hear that a receiver is fast and then he turns out to be a bust. Not only is C Jack fast, but he catches everything (kind of like the Patriots recievers now, they don't miss a thing)

Jeremy Mincey - This is a pick I like. Let me explain. Jeremy Mincey is incredibly strong!!! He is fast too. So yes, he is undersized, but he was an absolute terror on the DE. I know I'm biased, but he has a chance to really contribute as a very very good DE. This might be the steal of your draft.

Now on to the Free Agent Signings

Randy Hand- Was a great freshman Lineman, but then kind of reached a peak later in his years at UF. I think he is a good college Lineman, but in the pros, I just don't know. I'm pulling for him though.

Jarvis Herring - Jarvis was kind of a troubled player. When they fired Ron Zook, Jarvis Herring really was upset and wasn't the "team player" he should've been. (Even though I do give him credit for sticking with his old coach). However, when Urban Meyer came in, he really bought into the system. He is physical, and very very tough and a natural leader. If that translates into being a good pro player, then you're in business. However, there are many other things that make a good player. I hope he makes the team.

Vernell Brown - Here comes the tough one. Vernell is about 5'8 and weighs about 170, I think. His heart makes him 6'10. He started opposite Dee Webb and more than held his own. Urban Meyer absolutely loves this kid. He was the heart and soul of our football team. They said he was too short in high school, they said he was too short for D1 college and now guess what? I guess he's too short. That's what people will say. He had a broken leg and runs a 4.5, which isn't great, and I know the chips are stacked against him, but he just doesn't give up!!! He has made a believer out of me and I for one hopes he makes the team.

I wish the Patriots much success (sorry for the long post)

Go Gator and Go Patriots

Andy

Thanks for your input!
Mincey looks like a steal, hopefully he'll develop into a great run stuffing LB.

Excellent feedback Bass, thanks very much. We'll try to overlook that unfortunate Dolphins fan comment. ;)

GREAT first post! Too long? We want more! I would love to hear more details, particularly re: Mincey. He is slated to be an OLB in our 3-4.

Thanks for all the info...Great!! VERY good..I hope you enjoy being a Patriots fan...one big thing..pretty cold and snowy..not the FL sun..Thanks again!!

Welcome Andy and thanks for the input! Looks like BB and Meyer have established a good connection. I'm glad that Vernell has got a shot at the big time, from what I've read on him recently, he sounds like a champ!
Saw the challenge and was just blown away with Chad's Jugs work!

Too long? You left us all salivating for more, more, more! I live in North Port and also a big gator fan but grew up in NE so hence I am a Patriot fan from the dark ages of pro ball...... Great post and much appreciated Andy....

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST