PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

draft names linked to pats

Status
Not open for further replies.

everlong

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
These are the names I've seen linked to the Pats drafting in the first round. I sorted them by position and some quick notes. Feel free to add players and notes for each.

Safety

Aaron Rouse S, Virginia Tech

I'm not sure he projects as a first rounder and he's more of a strong safety and I think they need somebody with coverage skills.

Michael Griffin S, Texas

Probably the name most linked to the Pats.

Reggie Nelson S Florida

May require a trade up if BB really likes him.

LaRon Landry S LSU

Eric Weddle, S Utah

I can see Weddle in the second round but not the first.

Meriweather FS Miami

If the character issues check out.....

CB

Darrelle Revis CB, Pittsburgh

Junior who entered the draft, very good in run support as well as coverage.

Marcus McCauley CB Fresno State

Bad senior year may have pushed him out of the first round.

Daymeion Hughes CB California

Ball hawk, some see him as a nickle back in the pros.

Leon Hall CB Michigan

May be gone before our pick. I didn't think he played well against USC or OSU.

Aaron Ross CB Texas

Only one year as a full time starter.

WR

Sidney Rice WR, South Carolina

Injury prone

Robert Meachem WR Tennessee

Big receiver

Dwayne Bowe WR LSU

Big, good hands, great blocker, doesn't have great speed.

Ted Ginn WR OSU

Great speed, has problems making catches in traffic.

Anthony Gonzalez WR OSU

I think he's more of a second rounder.

Outside LB

Anthony Spencer OLB Purdue

He might be a second rounder.

Quentin Moses OLB Georgia

Questions about his ability to hold the edge in a 3-4.

Lamarr Woodley OLB Michigan

Tweener DE/OLB could be a nice fit.

Jarvis Moss OLB Florida

Tweener DE/OLB could be a nice fit.

Victor Abiamiri OLB Notre Dame

Charlie connection....

Gaines Adams OLB Clemson

Probably requires a trade up.

Lawrence Timmons OLB Florida State

Probably requires a trade up.

DEDan Bazuin OLB Central Michigan

I know nothing about him.

Inside LB

Paul Posluszny ILB, Penn State

Patrick Willis ILB Mississippi

Might be better for ILB in the 4-3based on a lot of the comments here from the Senior Bowl.

H.B. Blades ILB Pittsburgh

I think he's a better fit for the 4-3 ILB.

Brandon Siler O/ILB, FLordia

Good size and speed.

Buster Davis ILB Florida State

Little short but has good speed and bulk.

TE

Zach Miller TE Arizona State

He's supposed to be a very good player but PLEASEEEEEE NOOOOOO!

DE

Adam Carriker DE (Nebraska)

He'd make a good 3-4 DE but with all our needs I just cannot see it.

Last edited:
These are the names I've seen linked to the Pats drafting in the first round. I sorted them by position and some quick notes. Feel free to add players and notes for each.

Inside LB

Paul Posluszny ILB, Penn State

Allow me to talk about Poz as I went to school with him and watched him all 4 of his years. To start with, he is undersized and not super fast BUT he is the smartest player and hardest worker I have ever seen on PSU. Not only that but the kid is the consumate gentleman and will always do anything for his team. His junior year he played outside in a 4-3. This allowed him to use his instincts more often and attack the ball. In the offseason PSU switched to a 3-4 where Poz was forced to play Inside. His stats declined a bit early because he had to learn the new system and he was coming off an injury from the Orange Bowl, and as Patriots fan should know there is a tremendous difference between the two positions when it comes to responsibilities. Towards the end of the season he really started to come on strong and mold into the position.

Moral of the story is that if I were to compare him to any Patriot it would definately be Bruschi. While he may seem small and not particularly fast at times, his football sense and character and team mentaility put him into a different category of intangibles. It looks like Poz will slip into the 2nd round or maybe even 3rd, I am not so naive to say we should draft him with our 28th pick but I would to see us pick him up in the 2nd round.

It looks like Poz will slip into the 2nd round or maybe even 3rd, I am not so naive to say we should draft him with our 28th pick but I would to see us pick him up in the 2nd round.

If he slipped to us in the second round I think that would be excellent value.

Linked how ? Talk of interest or just guys listed in people's mock drafts ? And where is David Harris on this list ?

Just names in different mocks or columns I've read. I realize most mocks are pure BS but by throwing all the names into a post we can start to examine who could be a fit.

Nobody will really know until draft day but it's fun to speculate.

If we don't trade up or down I like Revis unless somebody like Landry falls to us at #24.

Harris has been brought up as a second rounder in a lot of places I was just doing first round speculation.

Last edited:
Allow me to talk about Poz as I went to school with him and watched him all 4 of his years. To start with, he is undersized and not super fast BUT he is the smartest player and hardest worker I have ever seen on PSU. Not only that but the kid is the consumate gentleman and will always do anything for his team. His junior year he played outside in a 4-3. This allowed him to use his instincts more often and attack the ball. In the offseason PSU switched to a 3-4 where Poz was forced to play Inside. His stats declined a bit early because he had to learn the new system and he was coming off an injury from the Orange Bowl, and as Patriots fan should know there is a tremendous difference between the two positions when it comes to responsibilities. Towards the end of the season he really started to come on strong and mold into the position.

Moral of the story is that if I were to compare him to any Patriot it would definately be Bruschi. While he may seem small and not particularly fast at times, his football sense and character and team mentaility put him into a different category of intangibles. It looks like Poz will slip into the 2nd round or maybe even 3rd, I am not so naive to say we should draft him with our 28th pick but I would to see us pick him up in the 2nd round.

You went to PSU? Did you graduate already? I agree that Poz would be a welcome addition to the Patriots, and I think people are low on him because of his knee injury. I think that might scare people off; I don't think that should be the case, because he played pretty well for us his last couple of games.

I did have a dream last night that Poz recorded a safety on Joseph Addai, but then he limped off because his leg was in a gigantic blue cast while he was on the field. Weird dream.

You went to PSU? Did you graduate already? I agree that Poz would be a welcome addition to the Patriots, and I think people are low on him because of his knee injury. I think that might scare people off; I don't think that should be the case, because he played pretty well for us his last couple of games.

I did have a dream last night that Poz recorded a safety on Joseph Addai, but then he limped off because his leg was in a gigantic blue cast while he was on the field. Weird dream.

I graduated from PSU in 05. But I still have many friends who are there and try and come back for at least 3 home games a year. I used to be friends with Robbie Gould, had Speech Com with Tony Hunt, and was writing partners with Tamaba Hali, oh and while not relevent to anyone unless they went to PSU once had a girl pick me over Zack Mills. I miss college...

Excellent concept for a thread everlong, I'll have to pitch in later tonight when I get back from the eye quack.

A suggestion (it's a lot of work, so be cautious), but within this concept it may be useful to divide the players between candidates listed in fan mocks and candidates listed in articles or writer mocks.

Here's Kiper on the players from this list who played in the senior bowl. It's only one persons opinion but Kiper has proven to be some what accurate.

DB Marcus McCauley 6-1 200 Fresno State
Has physical and athletic skills. Needs to produce more. (Round 2 or 3)

DB Daymeion Hughes 5-10 192 California
Great anticipation, hands, instincts. Speed question. (late-Round 1)

DB Leon Hall 5-11 193 Michigan
Good all-around corner. Great anticipation, tackler. (mid-Round 1)

DB Aaron Rouse 6-4 218 Virginia Tech
Big. Physical. Stiff in hips. Coverage question. (Round 3)

DB Eric Weddle 5-11 205 Utah
Consummate playmaker. Versatile. Tough. Instinctive. (Round 3 or 4)

LB David Harris 6-2 239 Michigan
Productive. Great run defender. Questionable in coverage. (Round 3 or 4)

DE/LB Anthony Spencer 6-2 266 Purdue
Great natural pass-rush ablility. (late-Round 1 to mid-Round 2)

LB H.B. Blades 5-11 237 Pittsburgh
Good in college. Not super instinctive. Gets caught in traffic (Late rounder)

DE LaMarr Woodley 6-1 269 Michigan
Relentless. Good rush instincts. (late-Round 1 to mid-Round 2)

DE Adam Carriker 6-6 292 Nebraska
Versatile. Long arms. Big frame. Uses hands well. (mid-Round 1)

DE Victor Abiamiri 6-4 271 Notre Dame
Solid, tough, reliable. Good technique. Not flashy. (Round 2)

LB Buster Davis 5-9 244 Florida State
Very productive. Small, but rock solid. Great run defender. (late-Day 1)

DB Brandon Meriweather 5-11 192 Miami
Adequate coverage skills. Versatile. Can be force in box. (Round 3 or 4)

DB Michael Griffin 5-11 195 Texas
Tough. Aggressive. Tackles well. Can be shaky in coverage. (Round 2 or 3)

DB Aaron Ross 6-0 192 Texas
Tough. Instinctive. Great tackler in run support. (mid- to late-Round 1)

LB Patrick Willis 6-1 240 Ole Miss
All over the field. Works through traffic. Tackling machine. (Round 2)

DE Quentin Moses 6-5 249 Georgia
Good edge rusher. Could play on feet in 3-4. Needs strength. (Round 2)

LB Paul Posluszny 6-1 237 Penn State
Productive, smart, instinctive. Lumbers. Coverage question. (Round 3)

WR Dwayne Bowe 6-2 222 LSU
Big. Competitive. Size and speed. Athletic. (mid-Round 1)

Last edited:
McShay on prospects coming out of the senior bowl

Marcus McCauley, DB, Fresno State
Stock Report, Projection: Falling, Round 2
McCauley is supremely talented but he is also raw and needs more time to work on his technique. Although he appeared to make strides in certain areas, including his ability to read routes, McCauley failed to live up to his hype as a potential first-round pick.

Quentin Moses, DE, Georgia
Stock Report, Projection: Steady, late Round 1
Moses is very athletic and he closes well as a pass rusher. Unfortunately, his lack of size and strength are difficult to ignore. When it's all said and done, Moses might fit best as a 3-4 outside linebacker, as he doesn't appear to be stout enough versus the run to play a traditional end position in a 4-3 scheme.

Eric Weddle, DS, Utah
Stock Report, Projection: Rising, Round 3
Weddle was one of the big winners from this year's Senior Bowl. His versatility has always been valued by NFL teams, but Weddle was able to prove himself as a defensive back during the week of practice. He is a tough, aggressive and instinctive prospect with better agility and speed than anticipated. After watching him match up versus top talent in pass-coverage drills, I believe Weddle can develop into a starting safety in the NFL and would have no problem recommending him as a first-day pick.

Lamarr Woodley, DE, Michigan
Stock Report, Projection: Falling, Round 2
Woodley displayed good closing burst and better-than-expected power early in the week, but a hamstring injury suffered during Wednesday's practice sidelined him from that point on.

Dwayne Bowe, WR, LSU
Rain-soaked conditions and poor quarterback play contributed to Bowe's quiet afternoon during Saturday's game, but his performance during the week of practice left a lasting impression on NFL brass. The 6-foot-2, 222-pound receiver wasted little time establishing himself as not only the top wideout, but also the premier offensive skill player on both rosters. If he runs well enough at next month's scouting combine, Bowe could challenge Sidney Rice (South Carolina) and Robert Meachem (Tennessee) as the fourth wide receiver taken -- in the middle of the first round -- after Calvin Johnson (Georgia Tech), Ted Ginn Jr. (Ohio State) and Dwayne Jarrett (USC).

Adam Carriker, DE, Nebraska
Carriker used his outstanding combination of size, quickness, power and technique to overwhelm offensive linemen throughout the week of practice and in Saturday's game. At nearly 6-foot-6, 292 pounds, Carriker can play defensive end in a 3-4 or 4-3 defensive scheme. With so many teams now using hybrid versions of both systems, his versatility is especially appealing. Don't be surprised if Carriker is one of the top 20 picks of the upcoming draft.

Paul Posluszny, OLB, Penn State
The Senior Bowl format is not ideally suited for a player like Posluszny, whose instincts and toughness are far more impressive than his NFL measurables. Penn State's all-time career tackles leader is still one of the top linebacker prospects in the 2007 class. but after watching his athletic limitations throughout an entire week of practice, it won't be surprising to see Posluszny slip to the second round.

I am not sure about Lamarr Woodley OLB Michigan . Read on one board that he was dropping down. Michigan's defense did not impress me. Lack of speed

Safety

Aaron Rouse S, Virginia Tech

I'm not sure he projects as a first rounder and he's more of a strong safety and I think they need somebody with coverage skills.

Michael Griffin S, Texas

Probably the name most linked to the Pats.

Reggie Nelson S Florida

LaRon Landry S LSU

Eric Weddle, S Utah

I can see Weddle in the second round but not the first.

Meriweather FS Miami

If the character issues check out.....
Okay, time to have some fun with this - and this is for fun folks, none of us get to actually draft in April so if your ox gets gored, it's just an accidental poke, buy him some armor plating and a molasses cookie - and accept my apology in advance.

I broke down this year and got a subscription to www.nfldraftscout.com, so unless stated otherwise, quotes are taken from their write-ups.

- Rouse (6'4" 218, 4.42/40) was a very interesting prospect who caught my eye watching the Senior Bowl practices. Let's get the negatives out up front:
Still a better athlete than football player. Doesn't always trust his reads and will lose his athletic advantage. Great speed and good quickness, but only adequate hips, causing him to lose some ground in transition. More of an in-the-box safety than true pass defender, despite five interceptions over past two seasons. Struggled with untimely penalties in 2006, including personal fouls. Struggled with consistency in 2006 after a breakout 2005 season that caused him to consider leaving for the NFL as a junior.
nfldraftscout's lead man's report from the Senior Bowl practices...
In limited viewings of the safeties Monday, Virginia Tech's Aaron Rouse struggled mightily. Though he has great straight-line speed and better quickness than I expected, he was the weak point in the North's deep coverage unit, struggling against receivers and tight ends. Rouse appeared a little more comfortable Tuesday, and while beat occasionally, he was clearly reacting to the action and letting his natural size and athleticism take over rather than thinking on every play.

Rouse took another positive step Wednesday, and was one of the defensive standouts. He showed impressive change of direction and break on the ball to slap away an accurate pass early in the scrimmage, and later he essentially ran a better route than a receiver for an interception. Rouse also attacked the line with physicality and twice made loud, physical hits that drew notice from the crowd. There are still some kinks to his game, but Rouse showed considerable improvement throughout the week, and with his rare physical tools he presents an exciting upside.
Therein lies my interest with this kid, upside. He's got size to match up with tall TE's, speed to match up with tall WRs and TEs, and a willingness to lay the wood. A tool set I want Rodney mentoring. The problem comes in any off-field issues and the personal fouls noted above. These may be the kind of incidental personal fouls that just happen during a a fast moving, hard hitting game, or they may the lack of mental toughness fouls that helped San Diego snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. I'm not in the position to figure that out. So he's on my board with a caution flag - but not before round three. If 'Box the GM' decides to take a flyer on the potential, I don't care to pay a premium on it without greater assurance of a payoff while he's on his rookie contract.

- Griffin (6' 195, 4.48/40) - talent aside, his size says CB or FS, if he can play CB (which Mike Mayock, NFL Network's draft guru claims) well and good. But myself, I'm shopping for a Strong Safety to compete with Sanders (Jones and Mitchell can compete for STs).
Positives: ...athleticism, size and recognition appear better suited to free safety role at the next level. [He is well spoken of, to save space I'll leave it to your imagination.]

Negatives: Despite his gaudy statistics and prototype size, Griffin isn't the classic run supporting in-the-box safety. Flashes as a striker, but doesn't punish receivers across the middle. Considered reliable, but not an intimidator. Plays strong safety here, but seems much better suited to free safety at next level due to his strength being pass defense, weakness being against the run. Might lack the versatility some teams are looking for in a safety
Ouch! if the kid isn't strong on run support he's off my board. Perhaps Seymour93 will correct me and backstop his boy, but he's got two strikes on my shopping list size and run support.

- Landry (6'2" 205, 4.48/40) - better size numbers, at 6'2" he should also be able to add another 5-10 lbs without losing much speed/quickness in Woicik's program. The big issue here, he's a hot commodity expected to go early. If he falls to 24, I have to ask if the need at Safety takes precedence over any other position (I know BPA, but need always has a way of sneeking into the thinking)...tough call because everything written in draftscout about him is glowing. I think his first round grade is well deserved and he would be an asset and probably an upgrade over Geno. Put him on the "slide" prayer list.

- Nelson (6' 195, 4.45/40) - draftscout doesn't have an analysis on him since he apparently wasn't expected to come out as a junior. He appears to be making the decision based on family concerns, so no negatives there. Size is the key here, and experience has to be a concern. I've seen folks mention Urban's remarks on this kids ability, and that may indeed mean he's an upgrade on Geno too, but where Landry is a little heavier and has a bigger frame to carry more muscle, this kid has a lot of catching up to match that size differential. I think his projected 1st round grade prices him out of my market when paired with his smaller measurables. Again, I'm shopping for someone who can play Patriots' run stuffing SS if needed.

- Weddle (5'11" 205, 4.52/40) - The kid got rave reviews coming out of Senior Bowl week, but I have to agree with everlong's 2nd round grade - which means he's competing with guys I want more than I want this kid. He may have CB skills, I can see him being a bigger Asante, but I'll wait for some Combine times before putting him on the CB board.

- Meriweather (5'11" 192, 4.49/40) - He gets a caution flag for off-field issues and maturity concerns cited in the write-up - I think most know about his incidents so no need to go there. I will say I find what I know about his incidents more troubling than Rouse's personal fouls. His size is a concern since I'm still shopping for a big SS. My man Remix will be in his camp, so I'll leave the cheerleading for him, I can't get comfortable with this kid for what I perceive to be the Pats' team needs.

For grins and giggles, these are the players I've started researching for my SS board - if it looks like I'm planning on doing "my" shopping in the middle rounds and second day, your right :D :

Daren Stone (Maine) 6'3" 220, 4.54/40
Aaron Rouse (VA Tech) 6'4" 218, 4.42/40
Sabby Piscitelli (OR State) 6'3" 224, 4.5/40
John Wendling (Wyoming) 6' 222, 4.4/40
Brandon Harrison (Stanford) 6' 215, 4.58/40
Craig Dahl (North Dakota State) 6'1 212, 4.53/40
Zach Catanese (Arizona State) 6'3" 222, 4.6/40
Chinedum Ndukwe (Notre Dame) 6'1" 218, 4.56/40
Kevin Payne (Louisiana-Monroe) 6' 215, 4.55/40
Michael Johnson (Arizona) 6'3" 210, 4.57/40

From watching Landry play this year I think if he drops below 15 he would be worthy of a trade up. He was impressive in every game I watch and they were always playing a good team be it Auburn, Florida, ND....

Good post on the NFL Draft Scout..........I hope you follow it up with the Corners and LBs.

Okay, time to have some fun with this - and this is for fun folks, none of us get to actually draft in April so if your ox gets gored, it's just an accidental poke, buy him some armor plating and a molasses cookie - and accept my apology in advance.

I broke down this year and got a subscription to www.nfldraftscout.com, so unless stated otherwise, quotes are taken from their write-ups.

- Rouse (6'4" 218, 4.42/40) was a very interesting prospect who caught my eye watching the Senior Bowl practices. Let's get the negatives out up front:
nfldraftscout's lead man's report from the Senior Bowl practices...
Therein lies my interest with this kid, upside. He's got size to match up with tall TE's, speed to match up with tall WRs and TEs, and a willingness to lay the wood. A tool set I want Rodney mentoring. The problem comes in any off-field issues and the personal fouls noted above. These may be the kind of incidental personal fouls that just happen during a a fast moving, hard hitting game, or they may the lack of mental toughness fouls that helped San Diego snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. I'm not in the position to figure that out. So he's on my board with a caution flag - but not before round three. If 'Box the GM' decides to take a flyer on the potential, I don't care to pay a premium on it without greater assurance of a payoff while he's on his rookie contract.

- Griffin (6' 195, 4.48/40) - talent aside, his size says CB or FS, if he can play CB (which Mike Mayock, NFL Network's draft guru claims) well and good. But myself, I'm shopping for a Strong Safety to compete with Sanders (Jones and Mitchell can compete for STs).Ouch! if the kid isn't strong on run support he's off my board. Perhaps Seymour93 will correct me and backstop his boy, but he's got two strikes on my shopping list size and run support.

- Landry (6'2" 205, 4.48/40) - better size numbers, at 6'2" he should also be able to add another 5-10 lbs without losing much speed/quickness in Woicik's program. The big issue here, he's a hot commodity expected to go early. If he falls to 24, I have to ask if the need at Safety takes precedence over any other position (I know BPA, but need always has a way of sneeking into the thinking)...tough call because everything written in draftscout about him is glowing. I think his first round grade is well deserved and he would be an asset and probably an upgrade over Geno. Put him on the "slide" prayer list.

- Nelson (6' 195, 4.45/40) - draftscout doesn't have an analysis on him since he apparently wasn't expected to come out as a junior. He appears to be making the decision based on family concerns, so no negatives there. Size is the key here, and experience has to be a concern. I've seen folks mention Urban's remarks on this kids ability, and that may indeed mean he's an upgrade on Geno too, but where Landry is a little heavier and has a bigger frame to carry more muscle, this kid has a lot of catching up to match that size differential. I think his projected 1st round grade prices him out of my market when paired with his smaller measurables. Again, I'm shopping for someone who can play Patriots' run stuffing SS if needed.

- Weddle (5'11" 205, 4.52/40) - The kid got rave reviews coming out of Senior Bowl week, but I have to agree with everlong's 2nd round grade - which means he's competing with guys I want more than I want this kid. He may have CB skills, I can see him being a bigger Asante, but I'll wait for some Combine times before putting him on the CB board.

- Meriweather (5'11" 192, 4.49/40) - He gets a caution flag for off-field issues and maturity concerns cited in the write-up - I think most know about his incidents so no need to go there. I will say I find what I know about his incidents more troubling than Rouse's personal fouls. His size is a concern since I'm still shopping for a big SS. My man Remix will be in his camp, so I'll leave the cheerleading for him, I can't get comfortable with this kid for what I perceive to be the Pats' team needs.

For grins and giggles, these are the players I've started researching for my SS board - if it looks like I'm planning on doing "my" shopping in the middle rounds and second day, your right :D :

yeah, if we do draft a safety I'm thinking middle rounds too.

PATRIOTS-80 .. You have done your homework on this.

Who would you like us to grab with our 2 first picks? If they are still there

thanks

CB

Darrelle Revis CB, Pittsburgh

Junior who entered the draft, very good in run support as well as coverage.

Marcus McCauley CB Fresno State

Bad senior year may have pushed him out of the first round.

Daymeion Hughes CB California

Ball hawk, some see him as a nickle back in the pros.

Leon Hall CB Michigan

May be gone before our pick. I didn't think he played well against USC or OSU.

Aaron Ross CB Texas

Only one year as a full time starter.
- Revis (6' 190, 4.54/40) - he gets draftscout's #1 ranking at this point, if that is accurate it's unlikely he drops out of the top 10.

- McCauley (6'1" 200, 4.43/40) - he's dropping like a rock according to what I'm reading. He reportedly struggled in the Senior Bowl, what I saw was mixed. He is a decent man/press CB, but struggles with zone. He appears to be a project whose best value may be second day.

- Hughes (5'10" 192, 4.54/40) - I was really impressed with his quicks , his reaction time, and his burst. The draftscout write-up reads like Asante Samuel. I don't see him in the first round, but anytime after that.

- Hall (5'11" 193, 4.48) - he looked okay when I could see him during Senior Bowl week. His write-up is glowing, it would appear he is a solid first round candidate and probably won't last to #24.

- Ross (6'1" 192, 4.46/40) - I thought Ross was the most complete CB package at the Senior Bowl. His write-up calls him a big play gambler and ball hawk who gives up almost as many plays as he makes. He is also a first round grade, I just don't know if he has the discipline BB might want. Depending on the details behind the gun charge his TX battery mate Brown had in September, he might be the better choice in the later rounds over Ross.

I like Laron Landry alot. Besides being equally good at everything,consistency is also on his side. He performed at a high level all four years in college. No letdowns,just a great all around football player.

However,some reason I believe we do not trade up in the 1st round. We having glaring needs in the secondary and the LB corps. Possibly at wr too. With their track record of good drafts they probably feel they can address a huge chunk of these needs. Then again it is BB and Pioli so who knows? Zach Miller at 24? Anyone?

Last edited:
WR

Sidney Rice WR, South Carolina

Injury prone

Robert Meachem WR Tennessee

Big receiver

Dwayne Bowe WR LSU

Big, good hands, great blocker, doesn't have great speed.

Ted Ginn WR OSU

Great speed, has problems making catches in traffic.

Anthony Gonzalez WR OSU

I think he's more of a second rounder.
Confession: I believe the WR corps currently on the roster will be 100% better after the off-season and full Training Camp - the "need" for a high round WR seems pretty low to me.

BB seems to like to use his Tight Ends as his big receivers, the Pats ended the season with four 6' Florida boys, two of whom did pretty well for us this past season. The other two were doing the little things, blocking and Special Teams, that are part of Dabol's development of young WRs. Childress reminds me of a young Troy Brown, I have a theory that BB has been holding on to him in anticipation of Troy's retirement - but I believe in Santa Claus too.

The only one of these WRs who interests me is Gonzalez, I see him in the quick twitch, tight route running role that Meion did so well for Tommy. I don't see him in the first round either, but anytime after that is fine.

It is difficult to judge college strong safety talent. The supposedly good ones are often undersized Lbers without any range (like Roy Williams). One player of interest at the Senior Bowl was the kid from Wake Forest, Josh Gattis. 10 INTs and 15 passes defensed the last 2 seasons. I happen to like James Sanders, but for those seeking an upgrade Gattis is the run defender that Griffin isn't. He has a kamikaze mentality. Under the radar.

Last edited:
It is difficult to judge college strong safety talent. The supposedly good ones are often undersized Lbers without any range (like Roy Williams). One player of interest at the Senior Bowl was the kid from Wake Forest, Josh Gattis. 10 INTs and 15 passes defensed the last 2 seasons. I happen to like James Sanders, but for those seeking an upgrade Gattis is the run defender that Griffin isn't. He has a kamikaze mentality. Under the radar.
Draftscout's ranking...great write-up on him, decent size, I'll add him to the board.
Free Safety
1. LaRon Landry LSU
2. *Reggie Nelson Florida
3. Brandon Meriweather Miami
4. Josh Gattis W Forest
5. Dashon Goldson Wash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back