PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Doyel: Pats, Colts, and everybody else...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoLewisrocks

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
He opens by consoling 3-1 Pittsburgh for having the misfortune of being in the AFC (although he fails to mention they were well consoled with one for the thumb just over a year ago...). But then he goes on really basing his assessment on just this year's teams. Which barring injuries is likely spot on. But in the NFL there is no such thing as barring injuries, which is another reason why perception aside we play the games.

"The Patriots are awesome, but the Colts are fabulous as well. That's an obvious sentence anyone could write, seeing as how New England and Indianapolis are among the NFL's four remaining undefeated teams, but it's a sentence I can write with more authority than most. Why is that?

For one thing, I'm very good at what I do. Authoritative, even. For another, I was at the Colts' demolition of Denver on Sunday, and I was at the Patriots' blowout of Cincinnati on Monday. And after watching both teams in person on back-to-back nights, I'm able to say the following:

1. New England is the best football team I've seen since the 1985 Bears. I was 15 for the 1985 Bears, so my memory could be faulty. Maybe these Patriots are better than those Bears, though I doubt it. But I'm pretty damn sure these Patriots are better than the New England stiffs who genuflected before Chicago's throne in Super Bowl XX.

2. If offense was everything, Indianapolis would be even better than the Patriots. On that side of the ball, the Colts have everything the Patriots have, plus some. Peyton Manning is better than Brady. Joseph Addai trumps Laurence Maroney. Marvin Harrison and Randy Moss are a push, but Reggie Wayne trumps Wes Welker. Dallas Clark or Ben Watson? Dallas Clark, dummy.

3. Since defense and special teams matter as well, New England gets the nod -- and a clear one, at that -- over Indianapolis. New England has the nastiest defense in the NFL, plus dangerous return men in Welker and Ellis Hobbs.

The Colts' special teams have allowed a league-high five touchdowns since the start of the 2006 seasons, and their defense is allowing opposing teams to complete nearly 70 percent of their passes while gaining 4.5 yards per attempt on the ground. How the Colts are giving up just 18.5 points per game is a mystery.

What's a lock is this: The Colts are so explosive offensively, and so bizarrely effective on defense, that they're better than anyone in the NFC -- which is a pretty sure way of saying the Colts are the second-best team in the NFL.

Right now you have questions, especially Dallas and Green Bay fans wanting to know how their teams can be so easily dismissed. It's a good question, but the answer will hurt your feelings. I suggest you click something more pleasant, like my weekly Hate Mail. "

http://www.sportsline.com/columns/story/10388447

Couple disagreements:

I love Marvin Harrison, but at this point in their careers, Moss has a bigger impact on the game.

And Peyton and Brady is a push. Whichever one has better protection on a given day will probably perform better.

His offense comparisons are off. Moss is the best receiver in the NFL right now, and only T.O. even has an argument. Wayne wouldn't be matching up against Welker, but against Stallworth, and Welker would match up against Gonzalez.

And Brady is currently making his Manning argument look absolutely silly.

His offense comparisons are off. Moss is the best receiver in the NFL right now, and only T.O. even has an argument. Wayne wouldn't be matching up against Welker, but against Stallworth, and Welker would match up against Gonzalez.

Or alternatively, Stallworth > Gonzalez, in my opinion.

A couple years ago, I would have felt Peyton > Brady. But I don't think that's true this year. And how can anyone consider Moss vs. Harrison "a push" this year? Harrison hasn't even been close to Moss, even before the injury.

I still can't figure out that Colt defense. They suck all last year, get Bob Sanders back, insert Rob Morris in as SLB and voila!- instant good D.
The Pats put up 27 (excluding the AS int for TD) points on them in the AFCCC, but in the 2nd 1/2 they played well when they had too. Same with their KC, Balt and CHI games.

I still predict that their D will wear down at the end. It's just too small to stay stout for all season.

I still can't figure out that Colt defense. They suck all last year, get Bob Sanders back, insert Rob Morris in as SLB and voila!- instant good D.
The Pats put up 27 (excluding the AS int for TD) points on them in the AFCCC, but in the 2nd 1/2 they played well when they had too. Same with their KC, Balt and CHI games.

I still predict that their D will wear down at the end. It's just too small to stay stout for all season.

It's a speed defense designed to maintain and expand a lead. If you can keep them from focusing on run or pass, you can shred them all game long. What's been killing teams is the predictability of the opposing offenses. Sanders sells out completely on the run, but teams aren't using enough play action and quick slants to make the Colts pay.

Andy talked about this, but Indy's defense really didn't do much at all. His post does a nice job of discussing causes, but it basically says what I have been saying since the preseason; Indy's defense was incredibly fortunate to face three one dimensional offenses (two of which were bad), and one that had injury issues.

Indy's "improvement" in the second half not-so-surprisingly correlated with the loss of Faulk and Dillon.

Question:

If Manning is better, Wayne is better, Clark is better, Addai is better and Moss and Harrison are a push...................

Then why do we have the best offense in the league statistically?

In my unbiaed opinion, Brady and Manning are pretty even.

Moss is game changingly better than any receiver the Colts have. That's no knock. Moss is just THAT good.

Our WR's 1 through 4 are better than the Colts receivers 1 through 4.

Dallas Clark is a great receiving TE, and beats Watson thre for sure.

Addai is there only horse at RB. The combination of Maroney, Morris and Faulk equal his contributions.

Add our defensive dominance, there is no contest.

Not a big fan of the article. "Peyton is better than Brady". Really? So why did he fall flat on his ass when playing that Pats (minus the last 3 games)? Brady is clutch (3 rings baby) and now playing better than anyone. Sorry, but I take Brady over Manning.

Harrison and Moss a push? Are you kidding me? Lets see, Moss is faster, has better hands, oh and has put up better numbers in ever catagory throughout his career without the best QB (granted Culpepper was great in min). I'm sorry, but Harrison doesn't hold a candle to Moss. And last time I checked, Harrison doesn't have a nickname like "Superfreak".

I like our offense better than Indy. We could put up the same kind of numbers, while actually playing smart football (ie, running the ball in the second half of the game with a lead ::cough::manning::cough::.

Last edited:
Brady is obviously better than Manning.

Brady has better stats indoors than Manning.

Brady has better stats outdoors than Manning.

Brady has had far worse receivers throughout his career.

If Manning had Brady's receivers and played outdoors, nobody would mention him in the same sentence as Brady.

Shame on all these "so called" experts for ignoring the wildly different circumstances in which Brady and Manning have operated.

Brady is obviously better than Manning.

Brady has better stats indoors than Manning.

Brady has better stats outdoors than Manning.

Brady has had far worse receivers throughout his career.

If Manning had Brady's receivers and played outdoors, nobody would mention him in the same sentence as Brady.

Shame on all these "so called" experts for ignoring the wildly different circumstances in which Brady and Manning have operated.
Yes, to all of the above. And when Brady FINALLY has similar weapons to Manning's, TB has significantly better stats (although over an admittedly small sample size of 4 games):

Code:
[FONT=Courier New]Player          G  GS  Comp   Att  Pct     Yds  Avg  TD  Int   Sck  SckY   Rate[/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New]Tom Brady       4   4    95   120  79.2  1,118  9.3  13    2   3    19     134.7[/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New]Peyton Manning  4   4    86   128  67.2  1,066  8.3   8    1   3    15     110.4[/FONT]
Advantage, Brady.

Question:

If Manning is better, Wayne is better, Clark is better, Addai is better and Moss and Harrison are a push...................

Then why do we have the best offense in the league statistically?

In my unbiaed opinion, Brady and Manning are pretty even.

Moss is game changingly better than any receiver the Colts have. That's no knock. Moss is just THAT good.

Our WR's 1 through 4 are better than the Colts receivers 1 through 4.

Dallas Clark is a great receiving TE, and beats Watson thre for sure.

Addai is there only horse at RB. The combination of Maroney, Morris and Faulk equal his contributions.

Add our defensive dominance, there is no contest.

i think you had to give the nod to peyton before tb got true threats across his receivers. now, it's a push.

no doubt, addai over maroney today, but not addai over marmorfaulk.

i think the author makes a very good point when he observes that the colts D can be unpredictably effective and, therefore, great on a given day.

Yes, to all of the above. And when Brady FINALLY has similar weapons to Manning's, TB has significantly better stats (although over an admittedly small sample size of 4 games):

Code:
[FONT=Courier New]Player          G  GS  Comp   Att  Pct     Yds  Avg  TD  Int   Sck  SckY   Rate[/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New]Tom Brady       4   4    95   120  79.2  1,118  9.3  13    2   3    19     134.7[/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New]Peyton Manning  4   4    86   128  67.2  1,066  8.3   8    1   3    15     110.4[/FONT]
Advantage, Brady.

Bwahahaha @ comparing them after 4 games. But it's funny how now stats are the measuring stick of who's better when Brady is ahead. Manning can throw five Td with one hand behind his back. Will that be your argument when Manning surpasses Brady? Then you'll use the old "but Brady has 3 rings argument."

To the other guy Addai > any pats back. Lol @ being homers and not realizing that.

Manning > Brady plain and simple. I wouldn't trade Manning for Brady NEVER EVER.

Bwahahaha @ comparing them after 4 games. But it's funny how now stats are the measuring stick of who's better when Brady is ahead. Manning can throw five Td with one hand behind his back. Will that be your argument when Manning surpasses Brady? Then you'll use the old "but Brady has 3 rings argument."

To the other guy Addai > any pats back. Lol @ being homers and not realizing that.

Manning > Brady plain and simple. I wouldn't trade Manning for Brady NEVER EVER.

Yeah, well TB can throw 5 tds with BOTH hands tied behind his back with only my grandmother(god rest her soul) as a receiver.

Yes you can have Peyton Manning and his over hyped stats.
We'll take the guy who takes us to the Super Bowl.

I love how we all are so quick to defend Brady. Man, if that guy were ever to get in a rumble, he'd have a ton of us there ready to beat some ass.

Yeah, well TB can throw 5 tds with BOTH hands tied behind his back with only my grandmother(god rest her soul) as a receiver.

Yes you can have Peyton Manning and his over hyped stats.
We'll take the guy who takes us to the Super Bowl.

In this what have you done for me lately league, what actually has tom brady done lately. I've seen Champ run 100+ yard TD's on Tom Brady. Also i've seen a historic second half comeback in the AFCCG. So what has the guy done lately. NOTHING.

You want to talk over hyped stats when you throw TD passes in the fourth quarter of a blow out against the Bills and you play the bottom feeders when it comes to defensive rankings in 4 games, that's over hyped stats.

Im a new england fan, so I will pretty much say Brady is better

Colts fans will pretty much say Petyon is better.

I think they're both great, and I wouldnt blame anyone for not trading either one NEVER EVER, but take away all the stats, and the 5 touchdowns behind his back, and whatever and what you have is Manning is one of the greatest qb's in the game, but Brady is a winer. No matter what you give him to work with, he WINS, almost ALL of the time. Now, with randy moss, he may prove to be the best in the leauge, hands down.

Does anyone else think that that touchdown grab by moss in on the side of the endzone where he pretty much floated over top the defender and came down staying in bounds was the sickest catch you've seen in a while?

In this what have you done for me lately league, what actually has tom brady done lately. I've seen Champ run 100+ yard TD's on Tom Brady. Also i've seen a historic second half comeback in the AFCCG. So what has the guy done lately. NOTHING.

You want to talk over hyped stats when you throw TD passes in the fourth quarter of a blow out against the Bills and you play the bottom feeders when it comes to defensive rankings in 4 games, that's over hyped stats.

Blue, no need to be defensive. Manning has more history with great numbers, so the edge goes to him at the moment. But you have to admit that if Brady does continue this ridiculous passing effeciency that the WR quality question has to become legitimate at some time.

BTW, you are going way, way overboard with your denigration of Brady. Please try to keep your posts reasonable.

Im a new england fan, so I will pretty much say Brady is better

Colts fans will pretty much say Petyon is better.

I think they're both great, and I wouldnt blame anyone for not trading either one NEVER EVER, but take away all the stats, and the 5 touchdowns behind his back, and whatever and what you have is Manning is one of the greatest qb's in the game, but Brady is a winer. No matter what you give him to work with, he WINS, almost ALL of the time. Now, with randy moss, he may prove to be the best in the leauge, hands down.

Does anyone else think that that touchdown grab by moss in on the side of the endzone where he pretty much floated over top the defender and came down staying in bounds was the sickest catch you've seen in a while?

True, but the hate for Manning is absurd. I don't like the Pats because they are our rivals i don't hate Tom Brady personally it's strictly football. The Manning hate doesn't come from football they personally hate him because he's good.

Why isn't this catch great? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffNE01wHr9w

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back